Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've identified what I believe to be a patch of wild elderberries growing on my land and finally (after consulting several books) I got up enough nerve to taste a few of them yesterday. They are not sweet.
I think they are only good for making wine or jelly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
We make syrup, jelly & juice. Some folks make pies.

Concentrated elderberry is very good to ward off the flu or colds.
I use a distiller/streamer to collect the juice.

veme

·
Registered
600 Posts
My DW makes tea. Usually she freezes as much as she can get. Then makes tea all winter. She tells me there is some health benefit but I guess I'm not listening since I don't drink tea.

When the white flowers are in bloom, early summer, you can spot patches while driving down the road. We have a good establishment in the back about 20x30 that is expanding. There is some patches on state park property nearby were she legally collects as well. You need to collect before the birds get to it.

Yes the berries are bitter. It's a little to earlier to be collecting in our area of Wisconsin.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Elderberry Pie and Wine are the best :dance:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I make syrup and jelly out of elderberries. Unfortunately our crop is practically nonexistant this year due to the dry weather. Elderberry jelly is so good and elderberries are extremely good for you!

You can also batter and fry the flower clusters in the Spring. I've never tried it, but my mom said her mother used to make it a lot when she was a kid.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
My English friends make an elderflower cordial (syrup to add to water).

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
Ravenlost said:
You can also batter and fry the flower clusters in the Spring.

my wife has done this before...she ate it all before I got home so I didn't get a chance to taste it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, Brownthumb,

I have lurked this board for quite a while, but only recently joined, and you are the lucky recipient of my first post.

I hope you won't be offended by a word of caution, but I would want to be lead-pipe certian that they were indeed elderberries before using. Perhaps a county agent might be of help?

After ascertaining that they are indeed elderberries, any of the wonderful suggestions mentioned by the other posters would be much better than any one might purchase! Good luck!

--Joe...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Joe, welcome. Elderberries are very easy to identify. I know of no other bush that looks like their flowers (similar in shape to Queen Annes lace on a woody stem) and berries (small dark red), at least not in this area.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The very best homemade wine I ever tasted was Elderberry Wine. I love to make jelly with it as it makes a beautiful to look at as well as delicious jelly. I wish I had some but the last few years have been drought and they are water loving plants.....this year it was the highest flooding in this area's history and the water swept all the elderberrys away. :Bawling:
Perhaps next year will be better. :help:

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
FreeRanger said:
Joe, welcome. Elderberries are very easy to identify. I know of no other bush that looks like their flowers (similar in shape to Queen Annes lace on a woody stem) and berries (small dark red), at least not in this area.
Here they turn a dark purple, almost black, when ripe.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
They have TONS of medicinal properties. Google 'em. DW the clinical herbalist has some growing here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts