El Nino

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by #1 DogMom, Aug 11, 2004.

1. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

2. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Bump to, hopefully get an answer. Thanks again.

3. I don't pay much attention to El Nino forecasts anymore. The last El Nino forecast I recall was in 1997, I believe. I remember that I was living in SW Arizona at the time and was looking forward to the extra rain, but it was a dry year in SW Arizona anyway. Maybe it rained a bunch somewhere else, but not where I was.

4. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

I don't recall any remarkable weather changes in this area (Oklahoma) due to El Nino. I guess there might have been some storms that were more severe during the El Nino years but nothing that stands out in my mind.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The El Nino affect in the deep interior states of the U.S. is not real great. See there is a reason to live in states like Kansas.

With El Nino we typically get hotter weather in the summer and somewhat harsher, i.e. colder and wetter weather in the winter. There will be wider temperature swings, and you can be wearing shirtsleeves one day and the next trying to find a heavier coat to put on.

With the kinder more gentlier La Nina we often get more spring rains and less wide temperature swings. Winters are nearly shirtsleeve type vs. coat.