either my temp. guages are wrong, or it's down right HOT!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, May 12, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

What happened to spring? I'm here in S.W. MO. and for the past two days both my and my folks temperature guage's have recorded temps in the mid to upper 90's. Weathermen in Springfeild are saying high 80's, but I'm a tad farther south than they are.
    When I read my guage and it was reading at 96 @ noon, I thought there had to be a malfunction. Went across the feild and checked my folks guage...96. Both guages are kept well out of direct sunlight and aren't up against any walls that might heat up and cause false readings.
    Anybody else in the country getting unusually warm weather?

2. V.girl, I probably don't live too far from you since I'm in the northeast corner of Oklahoma. If your area is like mine we had spring last Feb. and March. Then winter which was the last week of April and the first week in May. Now it is Hot summer time. I don't know what we are going to have when June 21st. comes around? Strang weather around here huh? I don't know whether to grow corn or turnips? Whether to cut some more firewood or turn the A/C on? Maybe both!!

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I'm having the same troubles too! I usually don't crank up my AC til the last week of May. It's already been in the 90's here................maybe I'm just getting too old to handle it! :haha: :haha:

4. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

Yep, it's getting hot already. I already have the AC on.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It was in the hign 80's here in Virginia yesterday, and bone dry. The air at my place had a slightly scorched tinge that I usually associate the Gulf.

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Will just looked at mine 42o not the best for gardening but feels good. No don’t feel sorry for us, keep your heat it well get here soon enough.
    John#4

7. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

High 80s here also for the last few days, but going back down to the 70s, we need rain!!!!

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

It was in the 80's yesterday, today its in the 60's...

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

It has indeed been an odd year. Our usual average frost free date is April 9th.
    A month later and we were still getting frosts. Also the soil temperature had not gotten high enough to germinate anything properly and timely. It is just now 68º.

When someone mentioned that it was snowing in Minnesota the other day, we had 95º. Today on a tractor forum a fellow in Nebraska posted a picture of it snowing today, while we had 85º or so just yesterday in the bordering state.

I've not used air-conditioning in my home since 1997. However the heat this year is coming in with a vengence. I may have to change my mind on turn on the central air (if it still works) or move a small window unit into my bedroom and put my computer in there as well.

I'll blame El Nino and ask him to send senorita La Nina back to play. She is always kinder, even this far inland.

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Could be worse. It's SNOWING here today. Got about 3" of the white stuff yesterday.

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That's got to be Allan, I haven't gotten to that site yet today! :)

Here in southern MN it was 41 when I got up. Dropped to 37 now. Some of my neighbors have had 10 inches of rain the past 5 weeks, not counting the inch plus we have had this morning.

We had a warm (for us) end of March, followed by real cold. Most managed to get most of the corn planted, but soil temps need to be 50 degrees to sprout, and we barely have had any air temps above 50 - soil is around 41-42 degrees. First time ever I planted corn with snow flakes hitting me.... Going to be interesting how this corn seed handles the cold & very, very wet conditions - not a good thing.

A few of those rain drops on the window are looking pretty clumpy, I would not call it snow, but.....

So, you have it hot, we have it cold. Not complaining, the weather always changes. Just interesting. I suppose nationally we are having 'average' weather then. :)

--->Paul