eggs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tracydeena, Mar 7, 2005.

1. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

what are some thoughts on the value of feeding eggs to pigs

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I feed my hogs all the cracked or infertile eggs. The hogs love them and they're a great source of protein.

3. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I use them to train my pig. I put rocks in a metal coffee can and rattle it. She comes running to me and I give her an egg. I did this so if she got out I would have a way to get her back in the pen. She loves the eggs so much she will quit eating grain just to run to the rattling can. If I have extras I will give her several at a time but never without rattling the can.

4. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

When I have pigs they get all the cracked or old eggs, old ones boiled first. They love them, probable more than any other treat I've ever given them. Its a fine way to use the eggs before the go bad, just make sure you have enough for everyone to get some, or that the ones not getting any don't see. I caused a fight one day by tossing in one egg to the pigs. The two that did not get it were so mad I had to go get fresh eggs for them!

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

What a good idea. I bang the empty food can on the stair rail but i think i like the rocks in a coffee can better. Either way, when he knows a little snack is involved, man he can run fast.

6. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

Obviously this is only my second year raising hogs, but I have been rasing layers for quite some time. I am pretty sure (all if not 3/4) of the eggs are fertile(we have a happy rooster) Is it ok to give hogs fertile eggs? The reason I ask I am looking at upping the amount of protein I am feeding the hogs. Right now with the prices I ahve been able to give them grain at 16% protein, Last year I was able to feed them grain from start to finish without any slop or scraps every now and then some peanuts or a little chocolate,and it was the best and sweetest pork I have ever had. Will the eggs make the meat taste different?
    I average 12 to 15 eggs per day and my family does not eat that much eggs so I thought I would supplement their diet a little.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Pardon the pun, but Ham goes hog wild over the cracked emu eggs!!! He normally gets al lthe duck eggs that I don't use for baking.

8. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

There is no nutritional difference between fertile eggs and infertile, at least as long as you haven't incubated, you are fine feeding your excess to them without regard to fertility. I think tyusclan was refering to those that showed as infertile after incubation. They are probably hatching the fertile ones :).

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Even when you have rotten ones and don't know what to do with them our Porky will eat them. They are carried very carefully to his paddock and gently thrown in on the ground...(this is pre training with a coffee tin of course)..and when scoops them up they go POP, he loves it, the smelly and more revolting the better. The one thing that smells worse than pigs is rotten eggs...yuk. :)

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I probably wasn't very clear before. I meant any infertile eggs from the incubator that don't hatch or eggs from an old nest that may be rotten.

11. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh....I see your concern, now. Well, I have given eggs that sat in nests over long periods of time (communal nests) that were exposed to weather, and nothing happened to Ham. I've also given him intertile eggs that were sat on for a short period of time, but not an entire incubation period.

When we are in doubt of an eggs freshness, if you will, we hard boil it, then give it to him.

12. mink

mink Well-Known Member

what about putting up a sign and selling those eggs.....in a week you'd have grain money...lol mink

13. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

tracydeena, being unaware of your hogs weight I am of the opinion that if they are out of the pig stage that 16 percent protein is fine.

14. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

I get old, old bread at the bread store for a treat for our pigs ($6 for 13 - 14 trays of stuff!) and the other day, I found about 20 eggs that the hens had been laying under the brush hog gizmo from the tractor. Well, I wasn't sure about just giving the pigs the eggs, so I combined some old milk, the eggs and a couple loaves of old old bread. I threw in some cinnamon and they had bread pudding! Were they fighting to get at the trough! Never saw them so happy to see me!! :haha:

They love the treats and donuts from the bread store too! Hickory nuts that have been laying around for 2 years, they crunch them like hard candy!

Amazing idea with the coffee can and training them. All I have to do is walk out there with a white bucket and they run for the trough!

Great ideas on this board! Thanks!

15. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

The lady the runs the deli in my building gives me all her old bread. I also talked her into using a scrap bucket for lettuce & tomoato 'butts' or any other veggie scraps (other than potato peels) when she's making the salad which she was happy to do. She's happy that her veggie scraps aren't going into the trash and I'm happy because I get free snacks for the piggies. Also, I think Fudruckers (used to anyway) gives away their day old bread. They did a few years ago anyway. I'm so far from one now, it's not worth the trip.