Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first eggs this morning! :banana::banana::banana:

I found one this morning while a hen was sitting on it. DH went back a couple of hours later and found another. I am not sure if the first egg was from the hen that was sitting there or if it was left by someone else and she laid the 2nd egg. Either way - they are laying!!!!! Hooray.

Now I will admit that they did not lay in the coop but in the hay stacked up for insulation in the pig pen. They usually hang out there during the day. I am still working on DH to agree to containing the chickens for a couple of days so that they learn to lay in the right place. He says it would punish the hens for laying. Ugh ...

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
Congrats! Finally, the payoff!

Tell your DH that chickens don't have nearly enough reasoning ability to think they are being punished for laying if you lock them up. They need to be trained, now, where they are supposed to lay.

Reactions: michael ark

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Nothing better than stead hen eggs. Even nicer from
Hens hatched on the stead. I got some 3 rd generation
layers. This year most satisfying from eggs laid and hatched
from hens previous year hatched here . Makes it all worthwhile!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing better than stead hen eggs. Even nicer from
Hens hatched on the stead. I got some 3 rd generation
layers. This year most satisfying from eggs laid and hatched
from hens previous year hatched here . Makes it all worthwhile!
That is awesome! These eggs came from my Buff Orps that I got about a month ago. The next awesome thing will be eggs from my "baby chicks" I got when they were a week old. They still have a while to grow ... and we hope that our BO hens will raise some of their own chicks next year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got my first egg today. Raised my pullets from day old chicks in April. I'm raising Cochin because they were the last chicks at the feed store so I had to go with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts