Eggs taste bad

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by kentuck, Apr 20, 2017.

1. kentuck

kentuck Member

Hey everyone,

I bought some chickens last year and they just started laying eggs this spring. They have no fence, but are locked up each night. They are fed a land mash feed sold at the local feed mill, and they eat LOTS of bugs as well. The eggs are collected every day and they normally taste good.

The last couple have tasted wrong and I do not know what the cause may be. They are very friendly and seem healthy to me though I am no veternarian. Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the bad taste.

They do come into contact with the dog's food and eat it. I was thinking this may be the cause. Does that sound possible. If so, anyone got any SIMPLE ideas to keep the chickens out of the dog's food besides feeding the dogs small portions at a time.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I would say they are getting more Green and the Yolks are almost Red. Yes they will have a strong taste.

Fed mine Dog Food for the Protein and was never a problem.

big rockpile

dsmythe likes this.

3. kentuck

kentuck Member

Thank you big rockpile for your reply.

I am glad I don't have to worry about the dogfood.

As far as the yolks go, they are a yellowish orange, more yellow than orange, but I have seen way darker yolks that tasted great. They had a more "eggy" taste but were good. The taste I am tasting is something entirely different that I don't know how to describe.

4. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Wonder if it's some type of weed they're eating like when a cow eats bitterweed and makes the milk taste funny.

5. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Dog food won't be a problem. Maybe they got into some weird plants that affect the taste? I know I had onion flavoured eggs for a couple of weeks when the little darlings decided to break into the garden and eat the onion patch.

ETA: remember chickens are omnivores, so can get into some nasty smelling stuff at times.

6. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

only time i had my eggs taste funny is after I found out that my chickens ate my styrofoam cones . chickens can eat strange things

nehimama and kentuck like this.
  7. Ellendra

Ellendra Well-Known Member

I'll echo the part about them eating something. Maybe confine them for a few days to clear their systems, then gather one type of plant per day and feed it to them along with their normal food, until you identify the culprit. Then you can decide how to get rid of that plant.

Pam in KY, dsmythe and Belfrybat like this.
  8. kentuck

kentuck Member

That's the problem. They had destroyed my styrofoam bow and arrow target. I thought they were just scratching at it. I had no idea they would actually eat the stuff.

April Angnos, gila_dog and Pam in KY like this.
  9. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

give it a few days to get it out
    of their system and you will be ok .
    glad i could help

10. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

That's what I'm wondering, too.

11. fireweed farm

fireweed farm Well-Known Member

Mine have eaten styrofoam more than once here and the eggs were fine.

Ive also personally never heard of a food taint that can pass through to an egg and would love to hear what exactly one is, any one else ever hear of that, ever?

Some awful othe ideas to creep everyone out. Maybe a couple old eggs hidden away rolled out? I've cracked one into the pan and it was pretty awful! Any chance the egg came from something else like a duck or.....snake? Maybe you are coming down with something and some foods taste weird?

12. Pam in KY

Pam in KY Well-Known Member

Hey kentuck, it sounds like you may have the funny tasting egg thing worked out; but I wanted to ask you one thing add'l 1st. Have you wormed your birds lately? Most wormers (Wazine comes to mind) have a period of about 1 week or so when you should NOT eat the eggs. The wormer medicine transfers throughout the birds' entire system, eggs included...not good for humans to eat that stuff. Same thing if you're going to butcher chickens for human consumption. If you're looking to give your birds a boost of protein, cat food (especially canned cat food) has a much higher protein count than dog food...but of course, whatever you've got on hand.....

I see you're in my home state of KY. I'm about 50 miles south of Cincinnati, OH.

kentuck likes this.
  13. kentuck

kentuck Member

Thanks for your reply fireweed farm.

I am pretty sure they are not eggs from a different animal. They are all the same size brown eggs. I have not come down with nothing recently, and the eggs had tasted bad for a few days. My wife also noticed the bad taste.

There is always a possibility of the eggs having gone bad, but I collect them every day and even if one did roll out of somewhere, it would not explain the others.

Also, I dont know if its true or not, but I have heard that if the egg is bad it releases sulfur gas and will cause the egg to float in water. I am kind of anal, and check every egg before I put into the pan. I dont know if that is a reliant check, but I do it anyway.

14. kentuck

kentuck Member

Pam in KY,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am pretty sure I have the taste thing figured out. The styrofoam thing does make sense to me. I am going to wait a week or so before I try another egg and then I will let everyone know how it tasted.

I have never wormed my birds so that is not a problem.

I am about 50 miles north of Bowling Green and about 200 miles south of Cincinatti.

Pam in KY likes this.
  15. Lady89

Lady89 Well-Known Member

do you have lots of wild garlic/ onion that stuff is strong enough to give an animal's meat an off flavor so i would think it can do the same with eggs

Pam in KY likes this.
  16. kentuck

kentuck Member

we do have some but not a lot

17. Christopher McClung

Christopher McClung Active Member

I know for sure onions and garlic can effect egg taste. I am betting other things will too. I echo the sediment of locking them up for a couple of days. I bet it will flush out of their system.

18. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Raw onion absolutely WILL taint the eggs. After getting really weird tasting eggs from my hens after they ate a bunch of onion, I've been careful not to let them have any since then.

Chickens *usually* won't eat raw onions, but sometimes they will.

19. kentuck

kentuck Member

To all who are wondering, the eggs are tasting better now. i'm pretty sure the styrofoam was the culprit.

Lookin4GoodLife likes this.