Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my Chickens have always laid just fine. I was feeding them Laying Mash Crumbles, Alfalfa Cubes and Dog Food. A friend talked me into feeding a mix of Calf Manna, Laying Mash Pellets, Chops and Sunflower Seed.

I'm going back to just Laying Mash Pellets. My Chickens don't run, should this be Good?

I do give them Oyster Shell.

So far they are still laying fine, they did slow some from Molting.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Layer mash has been perfected to be nutritionally complete, or very close to it, for laying hens.
Calf feed was blended for calves, unless you are collecting cow eggs or milking your hens, I would stick with feeding chicken food to chickens.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Layer mash has been perfected to be nutritionally complete, or very close to it, for laying hens.
Calf feed was blended for calves, unless you are collecting cow eggs or milking your hens, I would stick with feeding chicken food to chickens.
Well I know it was to kick up the Protein same as I was doing with the Dog Food. There should be plenty of Protein in the Laying Mash?

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I don't remember the protein content of my layer mash. I just feed layer mash to my hens, plus a lot of garden scraps. But, in winter time, I do add sunflower seeds and cracked corn.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
If you want to up the protein, feed a grower or flock raiser.
Layer is usually 16-17%, the flock raiser I use is 20%.
Read your labels.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
BRP If your Feeding a Layer formulation it should be sufficient.

You should not need the oyster shell, thats why layer mash/mix/crumbles is called layer, its got the calcium included.

Like Arrt said layers 16%.

If you want to reduce your cost you can mix your own, this page is pretty helpful for figuring your own formulation...

http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

Just keep in mind Beans of any sort need to be cooked.
They have a enzyme that inhibits digestion and can even harm the digestive track.

I also Give my Birds a boost with Vitamin/electrolyte mix I get at TSC.

It only lists directions for 55 gallon batch but I figured about 20 grams to 5 gallons is close to the packages directions.

You could mix less and use more often, I give them that mix once per week though.

Here I could not just feed layer through the winter, got to feed some corn to keep them warm.
If your do mix your own with whole grains make sure they have grit , it will help them out a lot.

Mine are on a mostly corn regimen here and for what corn costs to layer,
they lay very well. Corns less the 9 a 100 weight and layers 18-20 for 40-50 lbs.

Once forage is under snow I will need to supplement them a bit more protien, for that I'll have the mill mix me some mash.
thinking maybe 13%... Just due to cost.

I got grower (22%) mixed in the spring , 500 pounds at 150.00 dollars or 30 a hundred, which saved me 70 bucks plus I have a tax exemption on file at the elevator which saved even more.

But back to point, the lower protien mix should bring me down closer to 100 dollar mark on 500, and if I take a 1/2 ton or ton I get a additional savings for volume.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can boost egg production by giving them extra light at night (like 3 to 4 hours of light). It's also good to give only layers mash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts