Eggplants in trouble

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tamilee, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all;
    I planted my eggplants in the garden last week. Usually by this time of year, where I live it's in the seventies during the day and sixties at night, (and we did have for about three to four days), however, now we are having unseasonably cool weather. It's been 40's at night 50's in the day but windy. Now my beautiful plants have wilted 2 wilted bottom leaves. (I know that eggplants do not thrive in 40 degree weather and must be hardened off and these were.)
    My question is ; is there a chance they'll pull out of it when the weather warms up or have they had it? Should I pull them up and try to find some plants at a local farm supply store?
    Thanks;
    Have a blessed day.
    tamilee

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'd try something to keep them warm instead of pulling them up. If you can get gallon plastic milk jugs you can make mini greenhouses. Cut the bottom on and place the jug over the plant.

Or, a frame of some sort covered with plastic.

Good luck.

3. tamilee

Thanks Maine Farm Mom. Got one more night of cool weather, or so the weather person says, then back to more seasonal weather.
    Have a blessed evening.
    tamilee

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Tamilee,

I agree with Maine Farm Mom. Just take some protective measures for them and unless you let them get frosted or close to frosted they should perk back up when the weather warms up.

You will probably loss those yellowed leaves, but that's no big deal, they should spring right back in no time.

Nikki

5. tamilee

Hi Nikki;
    Thanks! Last night was the last cool night. It's SUPPOSE to warm upper 70's maybe lower 80's.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

The eggplants should be ok but I'd start a few more pots just in case. I've noticed if plants get touched they often just don't produce that well even if they look green and ok. Know for sure that a green pepper plant that is stalled anywhere along its growth path will never produce much.....specially when we gardeners are trying to grow plants that aren't really native to our part of the country. DEE