Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some lovely eggplants from a friend, and I'd like to make something with them that doesn't include a lot of cheese.

Anyone have good a good recipe?

·
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fried is the same problem as cheese. Lotsa fat. :rolleyes:
Which of course, tastes WONDERFUL, but I'm trying to avoid that. :)

I did ratat....whatever... with the last eggplant. It's nice, too. :)

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Eggplants? The word 'CARROTS' would have been less offensive... But I know your out to get me... maybe the word 'okra' is in your defense arsenal, be aware its totally neutralized here already.

My CIA, (Carrot Identifying Agency) has this one contained. Don't actually go to 'Chittlens". You can pretend, just don't do it for real. The kids will laugh, you will be a popular parent, leave it at that.

·
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kids are grown and gone, alas, dear Moopups, so they are not a factor in my culinary pursuits. Given that I am one of the Steaming Grannies, I must fight the battle of weight creep and eat veggies that in times past would not pass my lips. Also, I find that as I mature, tastes that were formerly offensive are now tolerable...nay, even pleasant.

In my childhood, you couldn't have forced eggplant down my throat with a crowbar. A few years ago, I discovered that fried eggplant resembles chicken fried steak. :) Now, I have eaten it in a couple of forms, and I seek more variety.

I'll try not to mention the C vegetable or the O vegetable, although I do know how to cook them in delicious ways. :baby04:

·
Registered
12,453 Posts
RATATOUILLE PROVENCALE from Joy of Cooking

Put 1/3 C olive oil in a deep skillet or heavy casserole:

Saute until golden:
3/4 C thinly sliced onions
2 cloves of garlic

Remove the onions and garlic fron the casserole and combine in layers:
4 julienneed green peppers
2 1/2 C peeled, diced eggplant
3 C zucchini in 1/2 inch slices
2 C peeled, seeded, quartered tomatoes

add to each layer:
salt & pepper

sprinkle olive oil on top.

Simmer covered over very low heat 35 to 45 minutes, uncover & continue to heat 10 minutes longer to reduce the amount of liquid. Serve hot or cold.

OR DO AS I DO: :)

slice eggplant, cover both sides with salt to draw out the bitterness. Rince.
Chunk in 1/2 inch chunks.
Chunk the same with green pepper, onions, tomatoes and zucchini. Use whatever amount you like. I love onions, so I use a larger amount of onions & less green peppers.

Saute in olive oil & garlic powder (not garlic salt) in a heavy skillet like you were cooking chinese. I like it this way better as I like crisper veggies. I also add a bit of tarragon for a little punch flavor.

Another good recipie is to slice eggplant, salt the slices, draw out liquid in the eggplant, rince.

dip slices in beaten egg,
dredge in wheat-germ for a nutty flavor or crushed corn flakes for a sweeter flavor.

saute in a hot skillet using olive oil until slices are tender. If you want pretty, you can spoon a little tomato sauce over the slices & garnish with a lemon slice.

Eggplant goes well with anything tomato. I also make eggplant lasagna by substituting the eggplant slices for lasagna noodles.

I read a bunch of recipies and make up my own by combining ideas from what I've read.

Have fun. I really like eggplant!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Rose said:
Fried is the same problem as cheese. Lotsa fat. :rolleyes:
Which of course, tastes WONDERFUL, but I'm trying to avoid that. :)

I did ratat....whatever... with the last eggplant. It's nice, too. :)
OOPS...sorry. Didn't know you were avoiding cheese because of fat. Thought you might be lactose intolerant or something. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Baba Ghanoush:

2 lg eggplants
juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
1-2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 TBSP tahini
2 TBSP olive oil

Poke the eggplants several times with a fork and then bake at 375 until soft. Timing depends on how big your eggplants are. Cut in half and allow to cool, then scrape the insides into a food processor (for really smooth) or a bowl (for chunkier style) If you're going of the chunkier style you still want to mash it a bit with a potato masher. Add all the other ingredients and blend. Serve with pita bread.

Bharta:

Cook the eggplant the same way as above. While it is cooling, saute 2-3 cloves mashed garlic and half of a small minced onion is a little olive oil. When the onion turns translucent, add 1/2 TBSP ground cumin and 1 tsp salt. Saute for another minute and then add the eggplant. Stir and add 1/2 cup peas and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 lg diced tomato or half a can of diced tomatoes, drained. Keep it on the heat just long enough for the tomatoes to get hot, then serve either over rice or on its own.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I enjoy lightly frying in olive oil eggplant, peppers, onions, greens, garlic, summer squash, whatever I have on hand and eating with rice or in a tortilla or with pasta. Basil, cilantro, cumin, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese are all good additions to this.

Growing up the only taste of eggplant I had was sliced, dipped in saltine crumbs, fried & served with maple syrup. Oh so healthy! :) I've enjoyed rediscovering eggplant recently.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Ravenlost said:
OOPS...sorry. Didn't know you were avoiding cheese because of fat. Thought you might be lactose intolerant or something. :shrug:
Fried eggplant is really good though. I wonder if you used olive oil or canola and used a "lighter" breadinig (skip any eggs for example) if it would be that bad?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bharta is great. I also roast or grill chopped eggplant and add it to pasta dishes with tomato sauce or other veggies.

I also love eggplant parmesan on the grill. Brush slices of eggplant with a little olive oil (just so it doesn't stick). Grill on one side, flip over and top with a slice of tomato, some shredded mozzarrella and parmesan (doesn't have to be a lot) mixed up with some finely chopped basil and some bread crumbs, just to give it a little crunch. Grill until cheese just barely melts.

I know it's not cheeseless but it's a lot less fat than the traditional version and very tasty! Also good on hot days when you don't want to use the oven.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Theres a greek dish I dont know the name of it but my mom made it.
a layer of sliced cooked battered eggplant
layer of cooked ground beef layer of eggplant
layer of groundbeef
eggplant
layer chooped onion
can of stewed tomatoes
bake at 350* for 30 mins

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
oh sprinkle parmasion cheese on the top.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Paula's dish is Greek in origin and called Moussaka. It can also be made with ground lamb and potatoes instead of Eggplant.

You might try this non fried cheeseless Eggplant dish.

Stuffed Eggplant

Take the eggplant and slice it in half the long way. Cut a thin slice off the side so it will lay flat and take out all the seeds and such with a spoon. sprinkle with olive oil and rub with lots of garlic. Stuff the hollowed out eggplant with some mild or hot italian sausage. Bake in the oven until the eggplant is tender and the sausage is cooked. I generally put a bit of provolone cheese on top, but you can go cheeseless for less calories.

You can also stuff the eggplant shell with a mixture of crab meat and bread crumbs. shrimp or clams also works and you bake it the same way. I often do it with plain old stove top stuffing mix and some of that fake crab. Spice it up with a bit of tabasco or some cajun creole spice. Mighty good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.