Eggplant not blooming/fruiting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by flutemandolin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

This year I planted three varieties of eggplant: Casper, Rosita, and Listada de Gandia, from Seed Savers Exchange. The plants are beautiful, with thick, lush foliage, and we had good hot growing weather here in Minnesota in July. However, the plants have hardly flowered at all! When there have been flowers, they are small and inconspicuous, and no fruit comes from them. I have grown eggplant before, and have never seen this. I can understand if this happened to one variety, but with three different varieties I expected at least one of them to produce! Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Thanks!

2. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

Mine haven't done a darned thing either. Don't know what the problem is, though. :shrug:

3. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Ditto, here in central KY. I have two varieties; a total of 8 plants with no flowers and a friend of mine has 1 variety, 3 plants and no flowers. Of course we are 7.11 inches short of rainfall until this week, thanks to Katrina.

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

none here either. Everything else did great. Good temps and water. Beautiful plants no bugs no flowers.
    Steff

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I thought it was just me. I have 3 varieties, too, all beautiful, lush, healthy-looking plants. Must be 20 plants, all started from seeds by me. Plenty hot enough, and I've gotten 2 smallish fruits. They appear to be starting to flower now. I didn't water them, and it was really dry here this year. Maybe that was the problem, lack of water?

6. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

It was dry here too, although I tried to water them every other day. Maybe that had something to do with it.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I grow my eggplant in a hoop house. They weren't doing much until I started watering more heavily than usual. I'm guessing they probably got 3" of water the first time and now get 2" once a week. I'm picking a lot of beautiful eggplant now. It took three weeks for them to go from little to a bushel at a time.