Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a large breed rooster mates with a Bard Rock who lays small eggs, will the offspring hens possibly lay larger eggs?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was going to say ?
My bard rock gave me one gigantic egg a day allmost every day .
That was my soft boiled egg every morning .
I think it’s could go either way .
Just like people my wife is 5’5” I’m 6’ 1” my sons are 5’8 6’4 and the baby is 6’7 with size 18 feet .

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
My chickens are all senior citizens (one hen, one male guinea, one jumbo well-behaved rooster, and one skanky, mean-as-a-snake rooster). The only eggs around here are from Food Lion.

Betta, I looked up your question and here is more than you wanted to know: how-to-get-chickens-to-lay-bigger-eggs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all, re-phrasing the question. If a Black Moran that lays smallish beige eggs for the last two years, mates with a large breed rooster ( I don't know the breed) Will the offspring mix be more likely to lay LARGER eggs?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hi all, re-phrasing the question. If a Black Moran that lays smallish beige eggs for the last two years, mates with a large breed rooster ( I don't know the breed) Will the offspring mix be more likely to lay LARGER eggs?
Marans aren't supposed to lay beige eggs, I would be examining that a little more closely.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,419 Posts
Like Alice said, when you mix genetics, it's a crap shoot. Find a bird who does what you want and breed from them since you've not an idea of what quality layer the rooster's mother was.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,884 Posts
Larger breeds don’t necessarily lay larger eggs. Its possible. But not as large as leghorn or other commercial layers. That being said genetics in this area isn’t a direct correlation. With all the mixed genetics going on you could end up with anything but most likely the pullets will lay eggs similar to their mother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts