Egg Selling Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 6e, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Does anyone happen to know what the laws are in Kansas about selling eggs? I've looked all over the Ag site and there's nothing that I can find about selling eggs at like farmer's markets and such and I've called them 3 times and left messages and no one ever sees fit to return my calls.
    We have got so many eggs it isn't even funny. We've been feeding them to the pigs. I'd like to try and sell some of them at the farmer's markets, but I don't know what our state guide lines are. :shrug:
    If anyone can help......

2. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

3. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

You can sell them from your place or from a farmers market. They are supposed to be in plain containers or cartons with all the writing marked out. If you sell them at Farmers Market they have to be kept in a cooler or somehow refrigerated until the customer takes them. We used to sell from our place in Udall and at the Winfield Farmers Market.

4. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

you also need to pay a tax on them for the stickers i think last year it was about 12 dollars for a roll of the stickers that you put on your cartons.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The director of the Farmers' Market should have access to the latest requirements. For example they may have to be a 'best if used by' date on the carton and identification of the source, such as farm name and address. May also have to be sorted by size (which is actually weight per dozen). For example, if you are advertising large eggs, an inspector may pull a random dozen and weight them.

The folks over at the poultry forum can likely give you several sources for bulk blank egg cartons. Your local print shop should be able to help you make up any sticker required.

A couple of years ago I was at a Farmers' Market and an egg seller was using a slightly different selling approach. They had some store eggs and would crack open a store egg and one of their eggs to demonstrate the difference in the yoke color to educate a new potential buyer. I asked what they did with the cracked open eggs. They said they took them back home, scrambled them and fed them to the chickens.

Problem with selling off a porch refrigerator or such is supply. If buyers stop by a couple of times and you are out of eggs, likely they will stop coming by.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

That's a good point - there's a family near me that sells fresh eggs. They have a big plywood sign at the road, beside their driveway. When they are out of eggs they throw a tarp over the sign. When they have eggs the sign says "Fresh Eggs $1.00"

7. 6e

Where do I get the roll of stickers to put on the cartons?

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Here's some. 3 different categories to choose from. I don't know if these are the stickers referred to in this topic:
    http://www.eggcartons.com/cat71_1.htm

9. 6e

I'm not sure what the stickers are either. Lonewolfparker made a comment about a roll of stickers and I'm not sure what was meant.

10. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

Not sure about the stickers myself, they were referred to as a tax?????

If you go to the website listed eggcartons.com they have several different varieties of cartons available.

We are in NY, and I am not sure how the regulations vary from state to state, but for what it is worth...

We purchase the pre-printed recycled paper cartons. They have all the required nutrition/safe handling/ etc. on them with the following exception...We then print out sheets of labels. Two labels will fit side by side on the empty space on the top of the carton. One label contains our farm name, address, and telephone #. All required. We then print out other labels for GRADE A LARGE, GRADE A EXTRA LARGE, etc. (required) And believe it or not, the size of the letters has to be a minimum size.

Most of ours are wholesaled (meant for reselling) I believe that the regulations vary a little bit if you are selling them from the farm directly to the consumer, but not by much.

Do take the time and find out how to do it right. It would be best to contact someone. At least here, we contacted NYS Dept. of Agriculture and Markets and they sent us several pages of information, which included proper marking, washing, grading, weighing, etc.

I have to laugh, in a local "shopper paper" I often see an ad...For sale fresh eggs..1.00/doz....also...wanted..old egg cartons.
    A VERY BIG NO NO here, and I am sure everywhere. All cartons must be new!