Egg recall

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by ladytoysdream, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

1. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Lots of eggs in stores around here, white, brown, organic, vegetarian, cage free, free range, gluten free, non-GMO, non-MSG, hormone free and Easter.

3. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I was reaching for eggs at Wal-Mart today when another customer told me about the recall. He pulled up the list on his phone( mine doesn't have internet) and sure enough the ones I had were on the list! I miss my farmer friend in Massachusetts and his great eggs!

4. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

This recall is for 9 states.
    The egg farm with the problem has 3 million hens.

The federal Food and Drug Administration reported Friday that eggs from the affected farm were distributed to nine states — Colorado, Florida, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia —QUOTE

5. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Sure makes me thankful for raising egg-laying fowl on this homestead...

I am curious as to how an egg with a hard shell all around it can get contaminated with salmonella...

proutdoors likes this.
  6. haypoint

Good question. The answer is because when chickens come in contact with salmonella, they have it in their bodies and in there eggs. Your free ranging hens are in contact with far more salmonella than caged hens. Quite likely your hens eggs contain salmonella. But, I bet the yokes are bright and beautiful.

Alder likes this.
  7. haypoint

Somebody isn't doing their job. Those eggs should have been pulled days ago. Would be helpful to notify the store that they missed pulling those eggs. The store would be in trouble if the Health Department or Department of Ag caught them with recalled product on shelves.

Lookin4GoodLife and roadless like this.
  8. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

Factory raised chickens and their egg are infected 1000's of times more by salmolla then back yard or family farm raised eggs. Factory raised chickens has a big problem because of space and dirty conditions in the big building where the chicken are housed. Rats etc.

motdaugrnds and proutdoors like this.
  9. haypoint

....as the free range hen pulls a maggot out of the side of that road kill possum.....ha ha.
    When factory raised chickens get an outbreak of salmonella, along with a costly recall, they cull every hen, millions, and disinfect and start over.

10. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

If you can't handle a little salmonella you aren't worth much to society. Bunch of softies, with womb to tomb dependence on government agencies that track such benign things as salmonella. First world problem. A lot of yas would stand to benefit from a good dose of salmonella, been eating a few too many dozen eggs anyway along with a few too many liters of mountain dew. A little profuse diarrhea would do wonders for some people's health in terms of calorie uptake. Just based on observations made the last time I was in a walmart.

motdaugrnds likes this.
  11. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I did.

haypoint likes this.
  12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

No, it's just that it gets reported when factory eggs are affected.

When someone gets sick from their own eggs, they seldom know the cause and almost never tell anyone.

Egg shells are porous and allow both air and water to pass through.
    Also bacteria can be transferred when the shell is broken during use.
    Proper storage and cooking eliminate the problems most of the time.

nehimama likes this.
  13. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

There are several(many?) different strains of salmonella too.
    The mutations in poultry houses could be much more virulent than those in your backyard,
    and given the crowded environment population of the organisms could skyrocket to astounding numbers.

14. haypoint

It sure would seem that way, wouldn't it? But in truth, the mutated strains of High Path Avian Influenza that killed humans was backyard flocks.
    But there is no denying that high population poultry houses require great care, bio-security to prevent the introduction of any diseases or introduction of harmful bacteria.
    There may well be some filthy commercial egg operations. But the ones in Michigan seem to hold high standards. That's got to be hard, dealing with such huge numbers of chickens that, by nature, are filthy animals.

15. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with you, but salmonella did hospitalize and almost kill my grandmother when I was a kid. I guess it affects some worse than others....

16. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

You're probably right there too. I don't sell my eggs (yet), I just give my excess away to family and friends, but someone getting sick is always in the back of my mind......

17. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

Don't eat raw eggs, and it's not a problem.

gerold, proutdoors and haypoint like this.
  18. barnbilder

https://www.livescience.com/644-bacteria-bacteria-fight-salmonella.html

This would be why it's not a huge problem to the backyard producer. Unless you are one of those city people that has chickens in a sterile bubble. If you have chickens, and they are allowed on the ground, them, you, and everything you are in contact with is swarming with salmonella pathogens. You don't even need to eat the eggs, it's already in your body. But, hopefully, you have a proliferation of beneficial bacteria as well. Those big factory chicken houses, BECAUSE of their biosecurity measures make a huge, ripe petri dish for pathogens, and many generations of pathogen mutation in a short period. Happens time and time again. According to article it looks like they are catching on, though.

proutdoors likes this.
  19. barnbilder

http://www.dnaindia.com/health/repo...e-mechanism-kills-salmonella-bacteria-1548645

Who with a backyard flock (besides clueless city people "gone country") would have chickens shedding enough salmonella to be a problem to the human immune system, and then be dumb enough to not cook the eggs before eating them? Clue: your chicken probably wouldn't look very healthy. Of course, with proper access to healthy soil bacteria, thanks to searching for maggots, it's not likely that any chicken would be shedding a high level of salmonella.

Salmonella is easy to avoid. Don't eat chicken poop without thorough cooking. It is really that simple. This is why I always pick fresh, clean eggs to eat raw, never store bought. Not eggs that had poop all over them and were then washed to make sure and remove the protective bllom and drive pathogens through the shell.

nehimama and proutdoors like this.
  20. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Clean farm, healthy fowl, "cold-washed" eggs should relieve some concerns...

proutdoors and gerold like this.