Egg Recall

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bearfootfarm, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:22 PM.

1. farmgal

farmgal Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried eating store eggs once. Disgusting. I scrambled them and the result was almost white. That’s not normal.

no really, mekasmom and Oregon1986 like this.
  2. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

People with "healthy" immune systems will be able to fight off Salmonella and suffer only milder symptoms that don't require hospitalization. A methotrexate user, a child, or an elderly adult in poor health might be better off relying on egg sources where they are tested(though only in token amounts), the pullets are (sometimes) vaccinated, and the chickens are kept inside--away from rodents and other animal manures, and wild birds. The system is not failsafe, as the real news story confirms---so maybe you should always order "two eggs over and done".

It was my job on the farm to go up in the barn loft to search out the secret nests that the broody hens would make. By the number of eggs in the clutch, one could count the number of days they had lain there, undiscovered.....That was my memory of "free range" :)

geo

mnmsmom likes this.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Outside of laboratory conditions that's nearly impossible.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I was just going to say that WM recalled a bunch of eggs recently. We had already eaten them, most scrambled, and many were made into deviled eggs for a family meal. We all lived with no illness. I think simple COOKING is the main safety issue.

5. mnmsmom

mnmsmom Active Member

Thank you for adding more complete info geo. I was rushing my first response(worst mistake!) and did not give a good complete answer. All eggs do carry Salmonella but how much tends to vary with management. And yes, good farm eggs will beat industrial eggs for flavor anytime. The first time I had an egg from a backyard hen that had fed on grass and bugs, the flavor told me at last why I had hated scrambled eggs my whole life.