Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single egg that was incubated by a pigeon for 20 days. Long story. This seems to be normal in my life. Anyway, Pidge abandoned the egg at Day 20. I don't have an incubator, or means to get/make one. Being so close to the hatch day, with no other realistic options, I put the egg in the brooder with my week old chicks. I know, not ideal, but desperate times and all that.

Given the situation, I've been monitoring the egg closely. It's now Day 24. The chick is alive and moving, but there's no pipping yet. What's alarming me is that the air sac has grown exponentially. It's now somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the egg space. The air sac was on the large side before Pidge abandoned it, but it's growing so fast! I can see the chick moving in the air space.

I know this is not normal, but I have no idea what to do, how much trouble the chick is in, or if anything can even be done at this point. It has been very humid and rainy here all week, so it's not like the air is bone dry and drying out the baby. Any suggestions?

·
Expect the unexpected
2,092 Posts
I got this from a google search.
( The incubation period for common pigeons is 17 to 19 days. The female sits on the egg from late afternoon through the night until about 10AM. The male then takes over and does the day shift. Once the eggs hatch, both parents feed the young squabs. )

Did she set the egg right away, or did she let it set for awhile ?

If it was me, I would be making a hole in the egg. If the chick is still alive, then taking small chips of the shell,
to make the opening bigger. Go slow. If you see blood, stop. Remember this is what I would do. It may or not work in your situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow! Thank you for the info, and my deepest apologies! I just read my own post, and I never clarified that this is a CHICKEN egg I'm talking about! I am so sorry about that! No wonder I only got one reply, lol.

I expected the chick to be a bit slow in developing, since, well, pigeon sitting on a chicken egg. She did amazingly well, in my opinion. The info you provided does explain why she would abandon it at Day 20. In her species, it should have hatched by then. I probably should have thought to look that up myself. I expected the real problems to start after the baby hatched, and didn't think to look at pigeon egg times.

I may need to restart a new thread with better information....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The baby is finally pipping! It's alive and well so far. Now to sit on my hands and wait for it to fully hatch. A baby chicken incubated by a pigeon. Can you imagine?

·
Expect the unexpected
2,092 Posts
You don't have the correct set up for that egg to hatch.
You may have to find a way to keep it away from your older chicks.
Depending on what size they are.

If it is piping and not making progress, you are going to have to help it.
I would be making a hole in the egg. If the chick is still alive, then taking small chips off the shell,
to make the opening bigger. Go slow. If you see blood, stop. Remember this is what I would do.
It may or not work in your situation. If you hear it peeping, it wants out.

My current hatching is bantams. I had to use the incubator as my back up plan as
my hens have staggered hatches under them So if they had like 6 babies hatched, I put
mom and kids in a cage and brought the balance of eggs in house and placed them
in incubator. I have a brooder area going now with these extra chicks.
I just had one lone chick hatch yesterday who probably will be a small standard size bird.
Her mom is mixed bantam and ameracauna from her looks. This baby is HUGE
compared to the bantams who hatched 2 weeks ago. I been calling baby BIG BIRD.
I really hope it's a pullet. It's got the ameracauna markings.

Good luck with yours :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts