Efficient use for a paint ball gun??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Karin L, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Other than using it on other people (which is not the purpose of us folks owning one, BTW), the idea came up that why not use it for marking animals that are sick that we aren't familiar with? :hobbyhors

Especially those new calves that arrive off the truck, they're mingling around and the one time we see a sick calf (or one that looks like it's got a runny nose, etc.), once we try to get closer to have a look he's gonna dissappear into the herd. ESPECIALLY if he's one that's the same hide color as the rest of his friends. And not used to his new owners and new home...

So what do you think of this idea?? Dumb idea, good idea?? All sorts of opinions and comments (good and bad) more than welcome

Karin

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

The first paintball gun I ever saw, 25 years ago, was used to mark bullers in a feedlot. I imagine they would still serve for marking critters. I'd like one to mark cats that come thru the place.

3. CoachVince

CoachVince Member

If I remember accurately, they were originally called "paintball markers", and were used to mark anything from cattle to timber, for market, culling, etc. It's something that can be used without walking up close; though I don't know if modern "paintballing" balls would mark semi-permanently, like you might want if you weren't going to get to it right away (would probably wash/wear off faster than the old stuff).

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sure use it as a marking gun but wouldn't a quarenteen on new arrivals be better all round? BTW I'm told paint balls bounce off wooly sheep, which is a shame, but they'd likely bruise a shorn one.

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the paint balls i tryed were not very heavy and hard to see, I gave up on trying it,

6. Karin L

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but thanks for yall's input.

I guess that there is a risk of the paint being non permenant (of course 'cause they're those type that wash off purty quick or wear off) and then again quarantene (sp?) would have to be immediate, although sometimes that doesn't happen...

Okay, another question, kind of a stupid one though: with a smaller pain-ball gun, you'd have to get closer to the animals right? Or does it depend on somwthing else??

thanks

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Why not just spray paint them? Grab some hair and spray.

9. Bearfootfarm

Because they said the hard part was getting near them

10. Karin L

Had a look at that (thanks for the link btw), and I see that the gun is almost similar to that which dad bought...only a bit bigger...and the paint balls... is .68 caliber the same size as a diameter of 20mm? (I'm just guessing 'cause I'm not that familiar with caliber-things)

thanks

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I think that before you shoot your stock with a paintball gun, you should shoot yourself with it before you make a determination as to whether that's a good way to make the acquaintance of an animal who'll be 2000 lbs. when you have to handle it.

Cows can be awfully numb, but the memory part of the brain is highly developed.

12. Bearfootfarm

20 mm would be closer to 80 caliber

13. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

I play paint ball for a few years. The hit sting more than hurt, of course the closer you are the more it stings. Some of the guns can be tuned to raise or lower the sppeeed of the ball. If you really want want one to sting freeze it! The paint balls that are use to play are water soluble, wash off after 1 rain. So if you want a permant paint you need to look to the Ag or forest products.
    The guns are very accurate- normal to be able to hit a foot sticking out behind a tree. Most of the guns are .68 but some are .50.

14. Karin L

Well, thanks for y'alls input. Guess you learn something everyday :)