Effects of GM Corn on Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tarot Farm, May 25, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I used to raise lots of goats and being out here in the middle of the 'corn belt' I naturally had a lot of corn to use in my feeding program. I used to buy commercial feed, add some extras (vitamins and minerals) to make up for the grain I was mixing in and I had a great combination for feeding those meat goats. Well, one day I had a sick goat, a young and otherwise very healthy buck was in great pain. At first I thought I was urinary calculi, but this was not the case. After a trip to the vet on a Sunday the goat was found to have strange liver growth, enlarged organs and some other nasty things wrong. The autopsy was done and the organs were sent to a large lab for more testing. The cause was said to be from feeding GM corn! The lab had arleady found other animals from other farms with the same effects. I also lost other goats with the same symptoms before I corrected the cause. That was the first and last year that I fed GM corn.

Now, I we some of the same problems showing up in people and nothing is being done about it. If it did this to the animals several years ago, what is it doing to us and our children and the next generations?

Any corn plants that are bred to kill insects is not going to be good for us or anything that eats it. Another thing I have fears about is the 'no til' method of farming! The sprays and chemicals they use in my area (they grow lots of vetetables here) have blistered the skin off of me and caused the death of several of my animals that were unlucky enough to get into the drift of the spray. I am all for going back to natural methods of farming and forget the toxins and GM grains!

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I would like to contact the lab that did the necropsy on your animal. Do you have the contact information and hopefully the names of the person who made the findings that GM corn was the cause of the organ abnormalities?

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I just don't know what GM stands for? Sorry for the ignorance on my part.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

GM = Genetically Modified.

5. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

FWIW a pig breeder I know has switched to organic corn because some of the markers placed in GM corn mimic estrogen and he was having a hard time getting his sows bred before he switched.

6. southerngurl

Why?

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

There is an organic 'no till' method.

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Why was this thread moved from GC? Just because there were goats involved?

"Now, I we some of the same problems showing up in people and nothing is being done about it. If it did this to the animals several years ago, what is it doing to us and our children and the next generations?

Any corn plants that are bred to kill insects is not going to be good for us or anything that eats it. Another thing I have fears about is the 'no til' method of farming! The sprays and chemicals they use in my area (they grow lots of vetetables here) have blistered the skin off of me and caused the death of several of my animals that were unlucky enough to get into the drift of the spray. I am all for going back to natural methods of farming and forget the toxins and GM grains"

Thats a general chat topic. Or is that forum just for politics now?

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would also like to know which lab made this conclusion.
    susanne

10. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Very interesting...exactly like the rat experiment thing I posted on g chat that monsanto is trying to cover up.

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Keep in mind corn syrup is made from, waaalaaa, corn. It is an extremely widely used 'natural' sweetener today. Check out product ingredient lists for foods. How much GM or no-till corn is used to make it?

I have read where researchers say it is just a coincidence, but if you overlay a graph of the increased in usage of corn syrup as a sweetener on a graph of the increase in adult diabetis you will find them very similar.

For animal feed, you need not go to organic corn. Just find a local farmer who grows corn without using extensive herbicides or pesticides and buy direct from them.

12. Tarot Farm

Yes, it is. Your post is what made me decide to share this with the rest of you.
    This has been going on for some time and no one has or will (can?) do anything about it.

As far as the lab that did the exams on the organs...they somehow 'lost' the paper work or files and all I had is the origional report that was sent to me and a follow up letter asking me to please return any papers sent to me as they needed them up update some files....yeah, right. I never sent them a thing back. They now deny that they ever did any such work! For legal reasons, I am not going to disclose the name of the lab, but it is well-known and they charge a lot for their work. Another thing, the first lab that the samples were sent to sent the samples on to a 'larger lab' to make the final report...I got charged for each lab even though I did not request the samples to be sent to another lab.

Either way, be careful what you eat and what you are feeding to the animals that you eat, drink milk from, get eggs from, etc.

13. Tarot Farm

Why?

Because: of the large amount of chemicals and toxins used to 'kill off the weeds and grass' before the seed is planted. The spray kills everything in it's path and goes right into the ground water.

Because: They go back and must spray several times for 'pests' (the sprays also kill off the natural ememies of the insects, so they got to spray for that too). If the ground level spraying does not kill off all of the 'bugs', they use airplanes to spray the fields over and over. (This is what took the skin off of me and left red blisters; plus, the over spray left a yellow colored material all over my property when they flew over).

Because: I wonder about the long term effects on us, the land, water and everything that lives nearby.

Because: My butterfly garden is now just some flowers. Over the past few years, the number of butterflies are less and less.

Because: If mice eat the potatoes grown in the fields around here, they soon die.

Because: There are flies, mosquitos and other pests that breed in the fields. They carry diseases such as West Nile and Lyme disease. When the farmers used to plow the fields they 'turned those insect eggs under the ground' and not as many of them hatched. Now, we have more insects and diseases than we ever had before.

I could go on and on, but I think this is enough for now.

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It is the pesticides that imitate estrogen....it is having an effect on fertility in women as well.

Its killing the bees we so desperatly need for pollination....and the spray used to kill the mites on bees are becoming resistant further compounding the bees' plight.

I do not buy organic grain but I see the potential problem. I also do not overgrain my animals....I feed alot of hay, which is fertilized with cow poop from a non organic dairy farm but they do not use pesticides on the hay fields.

I do grow corn for my goats that they get for 1 month prior to breeding. And I'm hoping to grow mangels as well (if it ever stops raining). I will be fertilizing with goat poop.

15. southerngurl

Yep, corn is in Ketchup, baking powder, confectioner's sugar, soda pop, breads, cereals, ready-made meals, ect. Really craps when you are allergic to corn, but maybe you are lucky, because you get immediate effects, rather than effects a ways down the road.

I still don't understand, do they not use chemicals when they plow the fields? I guess I always thought of no-till as an "alternative" type of gardening that is generally used in conjunction with organic means. Now, the mosquitos would not be in corn fields, unless they are very overwatered, but rice fields, YES.

16. antiquestuff

Southerngurl--there are different types of "no till" farming, one using lots of chamicals, the other more organic from what I understand...

17. antiquestuff

Most of that corn syrup is also "high fructose" as well, which means not only can they be using some nasty, maybe rotten corn to make it (it'll still taste sweet...) but there are problems connecting it to many problems...among them diabetes. Someone tried arguing it's okay once, but sorry, not buying it.

18. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Let's see if I have this straight....you can't remember what the name and location and other contact information is for the lab you took the goat to and also that you don't have the name, or paperwork, or contact information for the larger lab that made the diagnosis of GM caused histopathology. ...in otherwords all you have is your story.

Well how did I know that this would be the answer I would get to the request for more information?.......my wife said this would be the reply before I even finished the request post. Makes it hard to believe the story when claims of "there is no contact info or lab reports" available to back up the story. On the other hand to be able to make a diagnosis of GM caused histopathology there must be some baseline work....but there isn't any...it all sounds felonious to me.

I also went over to the large animal hospital at the University I attend...one of the premier vet schools in the US. I asked some vets I know who both work and teach there about this issue...they would also be interested in this information...seems they have never heard of it either....somebody needs to get their story straight.

AS on high fructose corn syrup...do you know what that is composed of....a 50:50mix of glucose and fructose....the same mixture that you get when you eat sucrose (table sugar).....why would the effects be any different? Sucrose is broken down in the small intestine to its respective components...glucose and fructose which are then absorbed. Sucrose is never absorbed directly into the bloodstream....you would die of kidney failure if it was. How would one cause diabetes and the other doesn't? Why could you use "rotten"corn to refine fructose and glucose? How does this process work?

19. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

We feed no corn. Corn can do some really bad things to goats especially Bucks. So we just dont feed any type of Corn.

JMHO

20. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In 3 months I will have been raising, showing, milking and exporting goats for 19 years. You want to know the basic reason I don't believe your story? Because in all the years of having goats and sending in both goats and body parts for necropsy, I have never gotten a straight answer out of two labs about anything as simple as listerosis, pnemonia, liver toxins....let alone that they could pinpoint it down to being nutritional! Necropsy results in goats are so unspecific! You nearly have to ask them specifically to look for something first!

So Bologna! Vicki