Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rotating storm that has already produced a tornado is about 10 miles from me and headed my direction. :help:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NickieL said:
Get off the computer and hide!!!! Praying for you!
Nowhere to go. I'm in the den, right in the middle of the house with no outside walls. It's the safest place I can be.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
ladycat - as NickieL said - get the heck off the computer, and get in a safe place (hopefully you can see or hear a tv or radio so you can keep up with it).

And can you get your mom in the safe place also, or are you stuck ducking in place.?

Take care.

Angie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AngieM2 said:
ladycat - as NickieL said - get the heck off the computer, and get in a safe place (hopefully you can see or hear a tv or radio so you can keep up with it).

And can you get your mom in the safe place also, or are you stuck ducking in place.?

Take care.

Angie
We're stuck ducking in place. NO place to go.

But I'll have to disconnect my computer any time now. I can hear the thunder coming. Don't want lightning frying my modem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm back. It passed to one side of us. We just got a few sprinkles of rain and it's already to the north-east and still moving away.

*whew*

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
..............Your bathroom is probably the safest\strongest room in your mobile I'd think . You might want too look into having it reinforced if it's within your budget .Take care . , fordy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fordy said:
..............Your bathroom is probably the safest\strongest room in your mobile I'd think . You might want too look into having it reinforced if it's within your budget .Take care . , fordy
I don't stay in the camper during severe storms. I'm in my mother's house which is a wood frame house. The den is the safest room because it's in the middle of the house with no outside walls. The bathroom is a little built-on room on one side of the house with unfinished walls, and no ceiling, and probably not safe.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
hehe our bathroom is an outside wall and has a window....we always go in our hall closet....still an outside wall but it is about 7ft long x 3 ft wide

we have a cellar/basement under the house but isnt any safer than the hall closet cause it has spiders and bugs!!!!

Glad you were missed by the storm!

Rachel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
hehe our bathroom is an outside wall and has a window....we always go in our hall closet....still an outside wall but it is about 7ft long x 3 ft wide
There have been a few times in my life when I didn't have indoor plumbing at all, so I'm very happy to have it now! :dance:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
suburbanite said:
Um, why do people in areas prone to tornados not have tornado plans in advance?

That is one of those questions that goes beyond explanation.

Why do some people smoke cigarettes when they know they are likely to get disease eventually?
Why do people become drug addicts?
Why do some people have kids when they haven't a clue how to raise them?
Why do some people not plan for what to do after retirement instead of having nothing to do?
Why do some people spend so much time on forums instead of living life?
Why do some people kick dogs?

:)

Edited to add: Ladycat, Am so glad you are OK. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
suburbanite said:
Um, why do people in areas prone to tornados not have tornado plans in advance?
We do. It's get in the middle of the house where there are no outside walls. That is absolutely our best option.

Once a warning is issued, NEVER NEVER NEVER try to leave in a car. Even if the tornado isn't on top of you, the winds preceding it will roll your car over.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/0,1082,0_591_,00.html#Warn

·
Drifter
1,660 Posts
Tornadoes, unlike hurricanes give little advance warning. As Ladycat said the worst thing one can do is go outside. Earthquakes and tornadoes are alike in they give little or no advance warning. I was in San Francisco during the 89 quake and no plan or bug out bag would have been of benefit during the quake. After either a plan and bag is useful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bjba said:
Tornadoes, unlike hurricanes give little advance warning. As Ladycat said the worst thing one can do is go outside.
Yep. Almost immediately after the warning was issued last night, the house was being buffeted by high winds. No way we would have gone out in that! And no place to go anyhow. The BEST thing to do is stay indoors (unless you're in a mobile home).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.