EEEWWWW...what did I catch in my minnow basket???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I put the minnow basket in the pond yesterday evening in hopes of snagging a few small minnows/fish for the duck. When I pulled it out today I at first thought I'd caught a snake, but quickly realized that wasn't the case. Now I'm not quite sure WHAT it is...maybe an eel?

It's about 8 inches long and slightly bigger around than a quarter. It looks like it has two tiny front legs, but I think those could possibly be fins. If so, they are the only fins on the thing. There are no other apendages. It's smooth/slimy looking with no noticeable scales and is a brownish grey color. I couldn't see any gills, but read that eels absorb oxygen through their skin.

Maybe tomorrow I can get a picture of it when I pull up the minnow basket to show my hubby. Darn thing was flipping around so much there was no way I was going to open the minnow basket and put it in a bucket. Freaked me out!

What do you think it is?

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

muddy mudskipper?

3. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

It is the tadpole of a bullfrog:) seriously we have them all the time. As the legs grow the tail will recede and finally disappear.

4. Ravenlost

No, I've seen bullfrog tadpoles and this ain't one...not by a long shot!

Meloc...you might be on to something!

[​IMG]

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If it looked like this, it's a mudpuppy:

[​IMG]

7. Ravenlost

I thought salamander/mudpuppy too which is why I looked so hard for some back legs. Didn't find any and it's tail doesn't get that narrow either.

It looks a lot like a mudskipper, but I've been researching and they do not appear to be native to Mississippi!

[​IMG]

I'm still thinking eel as they ARE indigenous to the Mississippi river area. Perhaps one of the herons left a hitchhiker behind in our pond!

[​IMG]

The above picture of an American Eel looks almost exactly what I caught!

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

My guess would be a freshwater eel.

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

And if it's a mudpuppy or any other amphibian it is going to drown unless you allow it to reach the surface.
    ...I know you're an animal lover- please give it some air.

10. Ravenlost

Farmer Joe, the minnow basket is only partially submerged. I thought of that!

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

wouldn't you notice a the fins on a freshwater eel. The anal and doral fin is almost the length of the body. On a mudpuppy or mudskipper you wouldn't see that, and their back and bottom would be flat or smooth (no long thin fin sticking up)

12. Ravenlost

moonwolf...that's why I'm not quite sure what I caught! It was jumping around so much I was having difficulty seeing anything! Tomorrow I'm taking a photo and hubby will probably take it out of the minnow cage so we can get a better look at it.

I'm pretty sure we'll be tossing it back into the pond after taking a look. No way am I feeding that thing to my duck!

13. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

mudpuppies and waterdogs are salamanders which are amphibians

mudskippers are fish, as are eels

fish have gills and fins, most true salamanders have lungs and all have legs...easy to tell apart
    if there were no fins or back feet then have neither an eel nor a mudpuppy...mudskippers are tropical marine fish living in brackishwater mangrove swamps and certailny wouldn't be found in a farm pond in Northern Mississippi

without a picture I'm only guessing, but I believe that what you caught was a siren and if so, I'd like to have it...what did you do with it? they bite very hard, be careful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirenidae

14. Ravenlost

THAT'S IT!!! Ewwwww...that's exactly what I have in my minnow basket. Now, how would I get it to you Daybird, and how much ya wanna pay for it? :p

15. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for thread, I'd never heard of a siren before. You learn something new everyday. :)

Now, Daybird, just out of curiosity, WHY DO YOU WANT THAT?!?!?!?! I mean, I love salamanders, and I love loaches (yeah, I know they're fish but they look similar!). Salamanders are pretty and loaches are personable. That thing, god bless it, is hideous and it BITES.

Good luck mailing it, Ravenlost. I'm sure Daybird will pay top dollar. :p

16. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Daybird, why would you want a single Siren? Without an ability to mate, unless it is androgynous, removing it from it's natural habitat, it will only die.

17. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

I would be kinda neat to have in an aquariam.

18. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

One of my running buddies, got a divorce and was awarded custody of a 125 gal. aquarium. We took his kid fishing one day and all we caught was a coupla bullheads and a coupla bluegills. So junior wants to keep them in the fish tank. LOL it was funny to see them swimming in there with the bubble diver and the other tank knick knacks. He threw in a few crawdads, they made it to the bottom and stayed there. They were still in there months later when I left home.

My 2 coppers,

tuvold

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

It is not the last of the species or even endangered though sadly in all my many youthful critter hunting expeditions I never happened upon one. I took this from the link
    ( quote The combined biomass of lesser siren in a Texas pond exceeded the total biomass of the pond's seven species of fish [citation needed].

20. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I vote Salamander, we have them in our branch. You should have seen the kids faces when they caught their first one! LOL