Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally freaked out now. Looked down at my left foot (in socks but no shoes) and saw a dark blob on the underneath of my big toe. Didn't think much of it, I was in the basement without my shoes and it could be dirt from bringing the plants in. A few minutes later I decided to wipe the dirt off. EEEEWWWW!!! IT HAS LEGS!!!!! Yes, it was a SPIDER!!!! Nasty! So was it in my shoe or was it crawling on the floor and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?????

I am very thankful it didn't bite me.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
559 Posts
LOL One morning when I put one of my socks on I felt something weird between my big toe and its neighbor. I whipped the sock off and out fell a dead bumblebee. Talk about major heebee jeebees. Apparently it'd crawled in my sock when it was out on the line several days earlier. Yeah, like your spider...thank goodness it was dead!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Last week I had a big wolf spider that had crawled up in my pants and I felt it crawling while I was sitting on the sofa... Had no idea what it was.. Grabbed it through my pants and squished with all I had as I was racing to drop my britches to find out what it was, and if it was dead... My wife was flippin after she saw it.. and like I wasn't? It was in my pants!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Last week I had a big wolf spider that had crawled up in my pants and I felt it crawling while I was sitting on the sofa... Had no idea what it was.. Grabbed it through my pants and squished with all I had as I was racing to drop my britches to find out what it was, and if it was dead... My wife was flippin after she saw it.. and like I wasn't? It was in my pants!
The SAME thing happened to my FIL years ago!

Me and my two SILs were in the oldest's bedroom playing records when my FIL screamed out for my BIL. We all ran to the living room and there was FIL, back to us girls, bent over at the waist. When he told BIL to undo his belt and help him pull down his pants, the girls started yelling at him, asking what was wrong...all he said was "just go back to your room!".

Naturally, we didn't budge...

He pulled his pants down to his knees while still holding onto a piece of his pants leg and then managed to step completely out of them. He tossed them onto the floor and out crawled one of the biggest spiders I've ever seem (around here, anyway).

Then he started doing the "ewww, get it off me!" dance, slapping himself all over and screaming like a girl. After it was all over, he admitted it was not his finest moment!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
We only have one bathroom. Years ago when my DD was little, she had to go while I was getting a shower. She brought in a toy spider and decided to be funny. She tossed it over the shower curtain. I threw it back. She tossed it in again, I threw it back. Finally got tired of doing this, so I just left it and forgot about it.

Next morning hubby's getting a shower when he starts screaming for me to come quick and bring something to kill this huge spider in the tub. I asked him, are you talking about the plastic spider DD threw in yesterday? Woke up our DD, so she was in her room giggling. But at least this one was only plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
When we lived in central AR, we had TARANTULAS. At this time of year, the females would be out looking for places to hibernate. The first time I saw one, I was out walking my dog in the early morning light--minimal light. I'm not freaked out by spiders but gave a good impression of it when she raised her front legs to threaten me. I levitate well at snakes but she had me backpedaling like crazy. The next time I saw one in the yard, it was climbing up a shed wall during the day. She was beautiful as long as she was over there.

I saw one in the road and due to oncoming traffic, I couldn't swerve to avoid her. No kidding, I could feel the tire go over her, just as if it had been a rock. And I was in a full size pick up truck. CRINGE!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
We used to get these big hairy jumping tarantulas where I lived in KS as a child. Some people said they were wolf spiders, some said tarantulas - I don't know. All I know is they were humongous and hairy and they jumpled. So big they made noise when they landed. They seemed to love our bathroom. One started jumping at my mom while she was sitting on the toilet. She ran screaming out of the bathroom with her pants still down. One got in the shower with my sister and I when were were about 4 and 6 years old. The spider was blocking the way out of the shower and I was screaming "kick him!" (note I wasn't offering to do the kicking myself). My dad came running into the bathroom with his knife in his hand - he thought there was a man in the bathroom with us and he was going to stab him LOL

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Just this morning I picked up some sheets I had used to cover some tomato plants. They were laying on the grass and I bundled them up and carried them into the house. The sheets were very close to my face. When I dropped them on the floor out ran a huge spider. I'm usually very calm but I did get the heeby-jeebies when I saw it.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
My DD was getting out of the shower when she saw a groundhog behind the toilet. She went screaming naked out of the bathroom. We never did figure out how it got there.

Many years ago, my now-ex went out the door to the attached garage and jumped into his boots! He got a funny look on his face and pulled off his boot and sock. A mouse had been hiding in that boot! Can you say squish! :runforhills:

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I was driving home from work when I felt the spider crawl up my calf. I reached down and squished it between my fingers through my pants leg, and held on until I could find a place to stop. I don't mind spiders, but I don't want to wear them!!

That's why, when I took my jacket off the coat hook by the door this morning for the first time since, well, last May?, I was planning on shaking it out, just in case. However, on the wall behind the coat was a mother spider with her hundreds of babies just hatched.

The jacket went into the washer immediately, and I sprayed the family with killer. Sorry guys, not in the house!
Kit

T

·
0 Posts
I worked for a school district, and one day when fixing the Custodial Staff computer, I decided I needed to use the potty... So I am walking up he hallway, toward the Staff restroom... Suddenly, I felt something digging at the back of my knee!
I could feel the legs, pawing to get past the pants leg fold, so he could go further up!!

I grabbed him through my pants leg, and hobble-ran the remainder of the way to the restroom - it was a single stall, either gender room - AND OCCUPIED! I stripped in front of it, luckily there was a workbench with a cubby wall on it, so I was screened from the hallway... I shook out my britches, and LEGS FELL OUT ON THE CARPET! Luckily, I had on cute panties that day, as the occupant of the restroom quickly came out when she (another luckily) heard my rustling around...

Whatever he was, he left a huge brown stain behind the knee of my jeans, and had long black, shiny legs!

Ugh. I have again given myself the willies over this...

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
This is way scarier than the haunted homestead thread!

Just so's y'all know, I am not going to step foot in any of the states you people live in...

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Many, many years ago my first husband and I lived in a mobile home. We had an ongoing battle with mice. My MIL came to visit for Christmas and cooked up a big pot of clam chowder for Christmas Eve. Husband went in the kitchen to get more chowder and we suddenly heard a very girly high pitched scream. Turned out he had stuck his hand down in the box of oyster crackers and a mouse ran up his arm!

I didn't sleep well that night...kept thinking mice were running on me!

·
Registered
299 Posts
We only have one bathroom. Years ago when my DD was little, she had to go while I was getting a shower. She brought in a toy spider and decided to be funny. She tossed it over the shower curtain. I threw it back. She tossed it in again, I threw it back. Finally got tired of doing this, so I just left it and forgot about it.

Next morning hubby's getting a shower when he starts screaming for me to come quick and bring something to kill this huge spider in the tub. I asked him, are you talking about the plastic spider DD threw in yesterday? Woke up our DD, so she was in her room giggling. But at least this one was only plastic.
ROFLMAO!!!!! That reminds me of the time I bought a big, fuzzy toy spider for my cat. She loved to play with it! Bear in mind that I am NOT a morning person! One day I came stumbling out of my bedroom looking for coffee, saw the spider in the middle of the living room, grabbed the nearest shoe, and beat the poor thing into a pulp before I realized what it was. I looked around to see my cat sitting there watching me like, what is your problem?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I went out hunting the other day. I am still not used to having to use mosquito repellant while hunting, but it is what it is. Stalking through the woods I walked into countless webs created by spiders whose bodies (not including the legs) were the size of a half dollar coin. I also had to swat away countless large bee/wasp like insects that were big enough to be confused with birds.

I got back to the central meeting location with the others that were hunting and all of a sudden I heard this loud buzzing and then I felt the buzzing on my leg. I jumped up and down, ran around the vehicles trying to get my pants off as quickly as possible because the buzzing was in my pants. Rumor has it that I may have even screamed out like a little girl, but it is only a rumor.

Rather quickly I was standing there in front of everyone with my pants down around ankles and I suddenly realized that the source of the buzzing sound and feeling was my cell phone.

I had set it to vibrate, the first time that I have ever done that, and one of the other hunters was calling me to see if I could discreetly and "accidentally" honk my car horn so he would know which way it was to get back to the vehicles. The only reason I even carried the phone was because he seemed a little frightened about going into the thick, dense woods. I told him if he had any problems he could just call me on the cell phone.

I am not doing that anymore.

TRellis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts