Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's only three acres down at the neighbor's place; you'd think it would be difficult to lose a pair of rams, wouldn't you? Well, I hadn't seen mine to two days! The grass is so blinkin' tall, up to eight feet in some places, that they sneak out into it and I can't find them!

Today I brought Tait with me and she flushed those two bad boys out of the underbrush. What would I do without my sheep hunting dog??? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
yup nothing beats a good sheep dog. Not doing my waistline any good saving me so much walking

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,678 Posts
I just bang on the bottom of a bucket and mine will come running! I did have to bush hog one pasture down to "sheep head level" so they could see each other. They werent using the pasture because the lambs kept losing sight of their Moms and were getting stressed out. LOL

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They werent using the pasture because the lambs kept losing sight of their Moms and were getting stressed out.
Yeah...one day I went down to find Phantom with his dad and uncle instead of his mom. He'd let out a little baby baaa now and then, but she was so far off that she didn't hear, and apparently didn't care, either! Glad the big boys picked him up and let him pal around with them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
It sure is easy to lose them in the tall grass! Have you thought about allowing a couple cows graze for a couple days just before you turn the sheep in to that area? It would knock the tall stuff down and allow the sheep to get at the shorter stuff which is what they love. We end up brush mowing tho because we have alot of acreage and we don't (yet) have the fences and facilities for cattle.
Good thing you have a great dog!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, it's not my property. What's more, it's not completely fenced. I was thinking about adding a burro, or even putting a couple of my horses down there, but the fencing is a real issue.

·
Almst livin the good life
1,126 Posts
kesoaps said:
Unfortunately, it's not my property. What's more, it's not completely fenced. I was thinking about adding a burro, or even putting a couple of my horses down there, but the fencing is a real issue.
Electronet!!!! That's what I've done, with a battery charger, you can mow a strip short where you want the fence, and move it later too! Our horses respect our electronet as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts