Education On Mental Illness, some comments, common sense etc.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WillowWisp, Aug 23, 2004.

1. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

Yes, for those several unregistered folks who are mean or extremely ignorant of medical literature. I am very intelligent. That is why I have been spending time, in between physical breaks researching work at home ideas because I am legitimately off work via a licensed physician.
    I do not only have mental health problems, I have co morbid physical limitations that presented themselves during my teenage years. Finding
    a job that fits my restrictions, abilities, and resource level is a completely different issue. Right now, I spend a majority of my time resting in between looking online. I take several breaks because I can only type so long, which no employer will accept. I have gone to Vocational Rehabilitation in this state for help and accomodations so I could go back to work sooner and they are refusing me because my doctor has me off work, and they want me to get my medical conditions under control.
    Mental Illness can cause mild all the way up to severe impairment. Just because an individual can type on a computer, does not mean that they are well enough emotionally to deal with people every day and deal with stress of the average job. There are many medications, therapies, alternative treatments and therapies out there that may or may not help. There are no proven cures for any mental illness and treatment is used to manage. Some patients go without any relief after years of being on different medications and concurring therapy.
    After working with people that have come after me with knives, or physical aggression, or improper sexual advances (from the severely mentally ill population) I am sure that some people should never be working in a normal job setting unless properly treated or controlled.
    I am not one of those people. I am not mentally retarded which is an organic brain condition either. However, I am extremely stressed out from dealing with physical pain, weakness, and infections...and am numb and sad,.and panicky every day. This is what I am working on. So those of you who are mean and invisible on this board, remember it will always come back on you one day how you treat your neighbor. For those of you who are honest, opinionated, but not outright mean whether you are registered or not...we should all welcome your input. God bless all of you nonetheless

WillowWisp

2. mainefun40

mainefun40 Active Member

Hurrah, in truth we find strength!

What's the deal with the harshness expressed in some posts here!

It seems to be just like some of the stonings etc that happened in earlier times!

I am a blind person Willow, I aplaud your courage to come out here and talk despite the spitting and screaming that happens around you!

We MUST all remember, we may be just an accident away from disability,
    we could lose our freedom, either mental or physical, at any time.

Being disabled and declaring it to be so are not a crime, in fact, if one knows how to deal with a disability they will prosper,
    survival for People With Disabilities is learning to do things differently!

You go, WillowWisp,
    and I'll keep going too!

I am a productive member of American society, despite the discriminatory factions of society!

Steve

3. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I spent several years doing pro bono legal work for folks with psychiatric disabilities. I started out as a true believer and became progressively disenchanted by the extent to which the people I was trying to help were singularly bent on proving the impossibility of their situation. After going to the moon and back to find ways of helping people to work, too often I was met with a barrage of well-practiced arguments as to why they couldn't. In many instances, it took on an almost political fervor. I'm sorry, but that's honestly the situation as I saw it.

Having spent many hundreds of hours on this board by now, I've had a glimpse into the lives of a group of people that, on the whole, have had some pretty serious challenges but which have never viewed themselves as "disabled." I do think it's all about attitude, and, frankly, about one's willingness (or unwillingness) to allow somebody else to pull the plow--no matter what the situation. I don't blame anybody who has weathered the problems I've seen on this board--and yet managed to persevere without a complaint--for feeling a bit torqued.

Approaching the board with a question based upon the premise that you cannot work was fairly well calculated to get a rise out of this group. I'm curious why you picked this forum.

4. good observation i think you are onto to something could be we are all getting played here to practice up for the big scene.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Maybe if you honestly and openly disclosed the nature of your disability, some people would have ideas of types of work that you could do...or other ideas on how to deal with it.

Also...

There is a difference between a mental illness, such as bi-polar,schizophrenia and major depression and emotional/psychological issues such as situational depression, anxiety problems and dare I say it...PTSD. Mental illnesses can be treated, but no, they cannot be cured. Mental illness is brain chemistry gone wrong (they think...they blamed moms 20 years ago, so there's still lots to learn) Meds can control many of the symptoms and enable people to lead pretty normal lives...but often they will not take the meds, which is also a product of the illness itself. Vicious circle.

Emotional/psychological problems can be treated and they can be CURED. It is not easy and it takes a lot of insight and willingness to do what it takes, but it can be done. Meds can help, but the real cure comes through learning to deal with feelings in an appropriate way and changing how one thinks/reacts to life. Emotional/psychological illnesses are not rooted in brain chemistry as much as thinking/emotional processes and those CAN be changed.

My brother has schizophrenia. He is on SSI. He takes his meds (after years and years of ups and downs), but he is not functional enough to maintain a job. He used to be, but he also had a major head injury and that was the icing on the cake.

My daughter HAD PTSD...and yes...she was brutally raped...at the age of 11. No...it is not over. She will probably find herself needing to get help again from time to time through-out her life (she's still a young woman), but she is definitely NOT disabled. Anyone who thinks she ought to be can kiss my ever-lovely backside because that would mean HE WON and that just ain't gonna' happen.

After a tragic, horrific event, the words do seem callous, but the truth is...you still simply have to "get over it" and go on with life or give up and give in. If you CHOOSE to give up and give in.....then I truly pity you.

Jena

6. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

Amelia,
    I originally posted speaking of my situation but also looking for information on housing ideas for the future and about eating cheaper because my husband and I are having a tough time right now, and I had written about waiting for a disability hearing. I originally was looking online into alternative housing just out of interest. I had figured people on this site had been through tough times, but the truly disabled who are not trying to live off the system may still have just as good of ideas as all the other folks who come on this website. I have been barraged by some chickens as well as a few who can not even register their names and speak up. Another, whom I had privately thanked for some advice had made a comment to me that since my disability was based on OCD and depression that I shouldn't post here. So I was curious to find out the people on here that might be brave enough to share there experience and maybe have advice or something to say. I am not afraid of flaming, but I do think it is childish. Everyone has a right to their opnion and if it is based on their own personal experience more power to them, including you. It is about attitude, and I have been working on that. After 27 years being beat, living with a psycho family, and dealing with chronic health problems that will take some time. There are a lot of people that fake illness and mental problems to the hilt. I don't and never have and used to work my butt off and have went through several hardships myself. How can one learn, but from those who have dealt with things differently? I went in and asked for a work evaluation, after the counselor sat down with me and went over my medical forms she said I needed to take care of my untreated medical problems first. I was refused, not looking for handouts. I shouldn't have to announce all my medical problems the point is, everyone comes from a different situation, and everyone deals with things differently. Perhaps, I have to start somewhere. Take care

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

You've brought up some good points here WillowWisp and I'm glad to see discussion of this type on the board. We as a nation are painfuly ignorant about mental illness. Despite all the advances in other areas we still treat our mentally ill very poorly.

I have a bi-polar daughter. Despite continuing treatment for 10 yrs and taking her meds regularly ( I watch)she may never be stable enough to work full time according to her drs. She takes these meds, with horrible side effects every day to stay alive in the hope one day there will be better meds that will give her a more normal life. She lives on an emotional rollercoaster that would drain any one and any family. Her income with SS and SSI is barely over $500 a month. Her illness has wrecked all her dreams and those of my husband and I for a peaceful retirement....it dictates our lives and finances.

Like you WillowWisp she'd like nothing more than to find a job she could succeed at and a chance to be a functioning part of society instead of a drain. She has far from given up. I respect her far more than most other people as I watch her daily struggle. You go for it gal and I wish you all the success in the world.

PQ

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  9. If you look at medical texts from the 1920's they list diabetes as a psychiatric disorder. Anytime there isn't a "medicine" to treat you it is often asumed that it is psychiatric.

I don't understand why OCD would prohibit typing unless you simply cant focus, if so there has been some success with wellbutrin.

In order to get over growing up with psychos...I've been there, it's not easy, I found I had to cut them out of my life completely. I took a clue from the Amish and shunned them, for me it has helped significantly. In my case most of them were simply evil, not insane, but some of both. The insane ones were just as dangerous since they worshipped the evil ones and did their bidding. Try reading Susan Forward's book "toxic parents"

Chronic pain... I think the title of a book was "when living is painful"? or maybe "when living hurts?"

Cheap eats...been there too. canned mackeral is cheap for the volume of protein and if you put a lot of herbs, onions and garlic in it and smother it ketchup, it makes a palatable meatloaf. At the time for me hearts were cheap in the grocery store, when ground it made a wonderful chili or taco meat.

Yes there are a lot of fake disability claims, which makes it hard on those whos's claims are legitimate.

GeorgeK

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

For every person who has overcome a disability, there is at least one person who WANTS to overcome a disability, but hasn't succeeded yet.
    "Are you goI take several breaks because I can only type so long, which no employer will accept. "

Some will.

Here's a possibility for you. Typing papers fpr college students. At least in my day, there were students who were poor typists. Why don't you put a 3x5 card up at your local campuses?
    Unfortunately, it is not steady work. You tend to get a lot of orders near the end of a term.
    Also, medical transcriptionist. You will need to take a class for this.
    "Mental Illness can cause mild all the way up to severe impairment. Just because an individual can type on a computer, does not mean that they are well enough emotionally to deal with people every day and deal with stress of the average job. There are many medications, therapies, alternative treatments and therapies out there that may or may not help. There are no proven cures for any mental illness and treatment is used to manage. Some patients go without any relief after years of being on different medications and concurring therapy."

Unfortunately, this is true. Two examples of how mild, and how severe, a mental illness can be.

My DH has an Uncle with schizophrenia who won 4 bronze sars and the Purple heart in WW2, And then worked the family farm for the rest of his life. He was VERY ill, but his sister always was able to talk him down when his mind went sideways. An honest, courageous, honerable, hard-working man. What saved him was that he trusted his sisters judgement better than his own. He trusted her with his life, his safety, and (thank God), with his guns, which she put away for him.

My brother in law, with the same diagnosis, is in an institution for the severely impaired. He TRIES to talk, and to do things, but he even has trouble with that. Only the world inside him is real to him, and we are the flickering illusions. WITHOUT meds, all he can do is stare straight ahead of himself, and giggle.

Willow, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. I have seen on this site several excellent ideas to try out. In fact, if you even try out half of the better ones, it SHOULD keep you busy for the next 2 weeks.

I think that you will make it, because you have the one, indispensable quality: courage. The courage to pickyourself up after you have been knocked down.

You DO have a difficult puzzle to solve, but some of us on the board have solved similar problems. Take your time, consider your options, choose a path, and GO FOR IT!

11. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Just to set the record straight, I responded to your pm with the comment that if you came to this board looking for sympathy due to depression and OCD, you would not find it----I did NOT tell you that you shouldn't post here. This is a group of people that don't let the shirt tail hit their backs and there are people on this board that have far more disabilities than you and their accomplishments are nothing less than astounding.

Then, you responded back that in addition to depression and OCD, you have a connective tissue disorder, arthritis, spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease and chronic infections that you have been suffering with since you were 13. You indicate that you are now 28. You also indicated that you have a college degree and 1 year of graduate school----which you had to leave due to health problems.

Then you indicate in your posts that you have not been married for very long and came to this relationship to get away from another that was abusive.

Sorry, I have really read your posts and I just don't get it. The pieces just don't add up. :confused: You are so far off your supposed reason of finding alternative housing ideas and food ideas. Your posts are all about hubby, the ex from Hell, their child, your child, and your disabilities. The answers have all been about get past all this and concentrate on what you can do and change and you give additional information that I guess should change all we said.

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay. I have to respond.

There are some people who seem to think Willow Wisp is a troll or full of it.

I don't think either of those things.

I think she is someone who is relatively young (at least in spirit), in a total panic and maybe not making the best decisions. It's also entirely possible she has all those physical problems and some mental ones on top of it.

I think it's entirely possible she's laboring under all these burdens because, when I was in my 20's, I lived in a very big city and the medical profession got their hands on me and started giving me all kinds of medical labels.

:rolleyes: The only ones of those labels which have proven the least bit helpful over the years are celiac and hypoglycemia --- glad to know I have them and I altered my diet and way of living accordingly.

I also, however, had the advantage of having a doctor-father who didn't like the move toward diagnosing and drugging every single little twitch and pain, and a nurse-mother.

I also found myself in a very disabling relationship -- he never whooped on me physically, but he sure messed with my head --- for years.

I finally jumped ship on him and all the disabling labels and I never looked back.

There are some people in their teens and twenties who truly ARE disabled. But there are many others who have been caught in a web of circumstances of a sort --- and yes, there are indeed many doctors who will gladly get you turned upside down and running around in circles in their disabling diagnoses.

And sometimes those diagnoses are the real thing --- I have a niece, for example, who was diagnosed two years ago with cystinuria --- sounds pretty simple, but it took them months to figure out what it was, and during that time, she was flat on her back, morphined to the hilt with staghorn kidney stones that kept reforming. The fix is simple --- baking soda every day, keep hydrated and avoid meat and fish like the plgue. But the disease does have the potential to thoroughly disable someone.

My niece has come out of that NOT disabled --- she has the good fortune to have a mother (my sister) who's a nurse and who knew how to devil her into getting on the right track as my niece became an adult -- but some kids with cystinuria are profoundly disabled.

I see Willow in the same boat.

It's my hope she'll buck up, kick a** and say I'm too young for all this disabled cr*p. But maybe she really is that disabled.

So there's my thoughts on it. JMO. Situations which are that big a mess aren't that uncommon, not really. Some people make it out of them --- some don't. I'm hoping Willow makes it out.

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yeah, me too, Countrygrrl