Educate me

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, May 10, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi all, first off I'm new to goats but have been in the books and I have been building my knowledge base. Here's one question I need your help with. One of my Boer does is absolutely pregnant we have no idea the due date. I can only tell you she will be a first time freshener and has a full size bag ready for nursing. Approximately six days ago colostrum was in her udder waiting on her to drop her kid. Bottom line is this common to have milk ready to drink this many days prior to a kids birth???? Does the milk keep? It must? I just thought this situation was odd. Obviously she has yet to deliver and the waiting is starting to get to me!!! Advice/experience please....Thanks in advance. Tennessee John

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, some goats bag up well before kidding. I have a Lamancha that bags up a month prior. I would not advise milking your doe now as it may cause her to go into early labor. When the udder gets shiney and tight and stringy goo comes out her vagina she is close. Also, her tail will be held horizonily instead of up. If you are familiar with your goats personality, you will often see a change in her behavior...however, sometimes they will surprise you. Sometimes they will call you in a voice similar to them talking to their babies, it is different than their normal voice. Also, there are ligaments around the base of the tail that losen. If you put your thumb and forefinger anround the base of the tail everyday if will feel a certain thickness, then closer to delivery, it will feel different. You will feel that your thumb and forefinger meet closer together. Hard to explain but with practice you will feel it.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

4. topside1

TexCountryWoman, you have a PM.

5. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

I have been studying vet med for a long time. I have never heard this. Milking a doe out early does not cause early labor. It will, however, deplete the supply of colostrum, therefore it's not a good idea.

6. topside1

dkdairygoats, thank you so much. All we are doing is giving her a little squeeze to attempt to determine a possible delivery date, obviously just a guess. I have several goat/kid births under my belt but up till now I have never checked the utter prior to delivery. I was just shocked at how long the doe is holding milk/colostrum before delivery. I know all about the ligiments, tail changes, tight bag, etc. I have read the bag my fill just before delivery or may even fill after delivery. My Boer has been milk ready for over a week just wondering if this was odd or typical. Thanks, Tennesse John

7. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Does it cause the release of oxytocin though?
    Thanks,
    Susie