Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This huge, viney plant just sprung up in the yard between our barns recently. I thought it looked like some kind of squash vine, but wasn't sure. ...only knew we didn't plant it.

This weekend I saw some "fruit" - it's clearly some kind of gourd...anyone know what kind? Edible? Feed-able to chooks, if not really for human consumption? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Oh wow, it is a birds nest gourd... they will get huge and really cool to watch grow! they will get heavy. Once the gourd is picked you can let it dry and it will be hollow inside and you can put a hole in it and hang it for a perfect martin house. I'll look for a link for you. be right back with one

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neat! I can't wait to see how large they'll get - and how many we'll get....it is a HUGE plant and you can see lots of other little "gourdlets" starting in the photo.

I mentioned to my husband that I wondered if we could make birdhouses -- this is before I knew what kind of gourd. Very exciting. Thanks for the ID and links.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Yu are welcome... when I grew one a couple of years ago it got huge...grew all over the yard, I tried to keep putting things up for it to grow up on but, it was crazy! I had a blast with it. I got about 30 some gourds of all differant sizes. they dried great by starting them drying either on the vine or just on the picinic table in the sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.