edible landscaping nurseries in the northeast

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by russellsmom, Mar 17, 2005.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Are there any recommendations here for companies/nurseries that specialize in edible landscaping plants for the northeast area of the U.S.?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I've never found any :( I usually order from the west coast and only plants that survive my zone.

3. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

I did find a most fascinating catalog full of interesting plants, but it is from the west coast. Have you had any problems with ordering plants from that far away? That's what I'm most concerned about, but I am beginning to think it may be my only option to get some of the plants I want (they say they will thrive in my zone).

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I haven't had any problems. There's one in VA and one in WA I think that's "edible lanscaping" and raintree nurseries" respectively. There was also one called green earth or green planet...I can't remember at the moment. All very good service and very nice plants.

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Here are two-

St Lawrence Nurseries. 153 varieties of apples, many heirlooms, field grown in Zone 3 or cold hardy rootstock. Also nuts, cherries, plums, pears, grapes, and many kinds of wild berries all suitable for Zone 3-4. Almost everything they sell is
    www.sln.potsdam.ny.us

Miller Nurseries
    Also in NY but not all their plants are for Zone 3-4. A lot of unusual fruits, including a zone 4 peach.
    www.millernurseries.com

Another place to check is your soil and water conservation office/USDA office. Some of them offer 12" to 18" wild fruit trees for wildlife planting. My SWC office in MN is selling plum, chokecherry, highbush cranberry, juneberry, nanking cherry, and crabapple trees for 80 cents each.

6. AlchemyAcres

AlchemyAcres Member

7. little mouse

little mouse Member

I was going to say Raintree Nursery, too. They're in Morton, WA and not specifically for the NE, but they have plants that will grow in your zone. They're a good company and have an awesome catalog. Check them out on-line at raintreenursery.com.