edible ginger source

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by syringaweb, Oct 11, 2004.

1. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Anyone have any catalog and/or website references for purchasing some good quality ginger root (to plant)

thanks,
    Michelle

2. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Michelle,
    If you go to a good supermarket, look over their roots you will see eyes. Get one with as many eyes as you can. At home wash with soap and warm water, rinse Cut it so each peace has an eye. Plant it. It will take about a year. Remember frost will kill it.
    John#4

3. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother used to buy a good, fresh root at the market -- one with plenty of eyes, and keep it under the sink in a bucket of damp sand. If the weather was warm enough, she would cut it into pieces, with one shoot per piece, and plant it all outside. Small (6-10") young shoots dipped in miso paste are old-fashioned beer munchies in Japan.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

The supermarket, or better still an Asian market, is your best bet. Occasionally stores will spray roots with a growth inhibitor, so the roots won't sprout, but that's a chance you take, and it's becoming a less popular practice these days. Buy the freshest pieces you can, nice and firm and not too gnarled and wrinkly.

5. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, I'll be harvesting my Hawaiian White Ginger the first of November PM me if you want a pound or two. Take care, Daryll in NW FLA

6. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone's responses!

The grocery store and good ginger aren't usually in sync around here....

The Asian market is a good idea, there is one "fairly" close by.

Yes Daryll, I'll pm.

Michelle