edible 3y pygmy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by keithil53, Dec 3, 2004.

1. keithil53

keithil53 Member

I have a 3 year pygmy female that keeps getting out of my hi tensile fence and I am afraid she will teach the others.The one time I had goatburgers(given by a friend )I ended up feeding to my dog.I don't know what kind (age and sex).I like lamb and venison and goat cheese.If I had her buthered would she be edible or too strong?
    Keith

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

near as i can tell, you can cook most any meat long enough, then add barbecue sauce, and it will be edible. could easy take all day.:)

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a five year old Pygmy/LaMancha cross who is near impossible to keep in. She has managed to teach maybe two bucks at most in the last four years. The rest just don't follow her. So we still have her. Right now she is trapped in an old Stock Trailer and is too pregnant to fit through the small gap I left for the doelings to get outside. :haha:

Haven't had goat meat but thought I would share that they won't necesarilly teach the others.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Slow cooking like crock pot and makes wonderful faitas, barbaque or what ever.
    lots of onions , garlic and seasonings you like. Cook it slow with water like you would a roast or brisket. Just did that with a 2yr old wether and it is great.

5. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hi Keith,

You will not find goat objectionable or tough if you cook it - low and slow. I like venison as well, but goat is definitely choice too.

I doubt you would find her to be strong - just like a buck, if she is butchered correctly there shouldn't be any foul tasting meat.

If one has never had goat, I usually suggest the first one they have butchered to include a couple roasts and the rest ground into burger. Like Sondra suggests, spices of onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and the like make it tasty. My roasts I usually crack pepper over it, slice my onions and throw in the garlic and some water and marinate overnight in the fridge. Throw in the rest of the spices, carrots and whatever and put in oven or crockpot.

Low and slow. High temps will dry it out and toughen the meat.

It's a tough decision - whether to keep her or not. If your "houdini" female is not the herd queen, then as 'dosthouhavemilk' suggests, the others may not follow her. With my pygmy's, I find they try to get to "the other side" when they get bored - so perhaps having something more to occupy her time would keep her from trying to escape. Maybe a platform to lounge on, jump onto, etc. Just a thought.

6. keithil53

keithil53 Member

Thanks for replies.She has gained a reprieve as she has stayed in 3 days after
    repeated fence alteration.In general my experiance raising cattle is that if you
    have breechy animal they deserve a ride a ride to sale barn or butcher but this one didn't tear fence up but crawled under.
    Keith

7. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Boy do I know about fence alterations !!! If you think your Pygmy doe is a houdini - you should see my 3 Pygmy bucks. Zeke would break out on a regular basis and I was constantly fixing the fence. They seem to want to solve everything with their heads and horns !!!

What they do not tell you in the goat books is that when you get a goat - you also need about 15 miles of replacement fencing, 18 miles if you have a buck :D

I now have the 3 males in their yard of cyclone fence and boy are they mad !!! They spent the first 3 days looking for a way to defeat the gate and posts using every tactic they could imagine. Hopefully they have decided to forgo escape and settle into regular bucky routines. I can only hope (sigh).