Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought someone mentioned one a few months ago (years ago?)??? I can't find any references. They now have the Model 1000 which will heat a 1000 sq ft house on sale for $347!!!!

I believe someone said it was really bad on electric bills....

Anyone remember??
Chris in Ohio

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
You can find their website via a Google search. Also do a search on the HT Forums.

Essentially they are nothing more than a glorified heat lamp surrounded by a heat absorbant material.

Note in the fine print bulbs have a somewhat limited life expectancy and have have to be replaced by a factory technician.

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
A quartz heater uses electricity. You can only squeeze out so many BTUs of heat from a watt of electricity, so it really doesn't matter what type of electric heater you use. Even an electric heater that is 100% efficient will probably use too much electricity (ie, cost too much to operate) for most people's pocket books.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Just turn every light in the house on and you will get the same effect and the same fee for the power consumed and you will not have to buy anything.

·
Living the dream.
2,269 Posts
How does anyone know how many square feet a heater will heat? Unless they have inspected the house they will have not a clue. They ought to give ranges like "Will heat approximately 1000 sq ft of a home having R-13 walls, double pane windows, a vapor barrier, gasketed doors and a total permeable area not exceeding 4 inches square"! (Just to pile on what everyone else is saying) No device that will plug in a regular outlet will typically draw more than 1500 watts, this is because most circuts are 15 amp circuts, meaning that any more than 1500 would blow the breaker/fuse. So 1500 watts is all the heat you will get out of most electric heating devices. True a radiant heater may be slightly more comfortable in an drafty/uninsulated house, if you sit directly in front of it, because it will heat you before it heats the air, but it will make no difference in the abient temperature. So if you are interested in saving money on your electric bill, wear a sweater, no kidding, insulation/weather stripping would probably be a better investment.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Some day I'll tell you the story of the "quartz radiant heater" and the plastic port-a potty, in the shed during hunting season.

Your heating BTU requirement remains the same no matter where it comes from.
The is no magic.
I'm including a link to another forum where this subject was just discussed, including a link to Consumer Reports
http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/community.aspx?g=posts&t=117206

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bill in oh said:
Hey Chris - thought you'd got lost... LOL

You talking about heating the barn?
Hi!
Nah....if I ever get a darned cabin built!!! I've been REALLY busy with a new job, and no access to HT except when I am at home in the evenings....which isn't much anymore! For some reason, it's a restricted site at work. Darn! They're afraid I'll learn something I shouldn't! Hehe.

I've been asking questions on Countryplans.com. I ended up buying a set of building plans for "the whole enchilada".... a small 14X24 house, with a 12X18 "ell" off of it. Except I'm thinking of making it 14X32 with a 14X18 addition on the side, and an extra 4' of wall height to get a nice loft in it. We'll see if it happens.

Well...darn...about the space heater. Was thinking it might just be the ticket. My house in town is a drafty POS that even the corn stove can't keep up with. I'd be better off to spend the $350 on some blown in insulation if I truly think I'll be in town this winter. Really hoping to be out at TisaWee by then!

What's up with you?

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
agmantoo said:
Buy a PTAC heatpump with a good seer rating and it will do a terrific job for you at and affordable price for the purchase and the cost of operation. You can install it yourself!
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PTH123B35AM.html
Size the unit(s) to your home and location
Is that heat and AC? I can't quite figure it out. What does it run on....electricity? Is it 220? It said 20 amp. How can that give out any more heat (if it is only electric) than a quartz heater, which everyone agrees isn't very efficient.

My house will be less than 1000 sq.ft, and pretty well insulated with some passive solar. Shouldn't take MUCH to heat it. I'm in NW Ohio, where it gets darn chilly, though!

CC

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
This unit does not make heat. A heat pump extracts heat and cool. On a mild day you may get $3 worth of heat for a $1 worth of electricity. Extracting is cheaper above a certain temperature than making heat which a quartz heater would do. The unit is powered by electricity, 220 volt . Yes, you get cool from this same unit also.

·
Living the dream.
2,269 Posts
agmantoo said:
Buy a PTAC heatpump with a good seer rating and it will do a terrific job for you at and affordable price for the purchase and the cost of operation. You can install it yourself!
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PTH123B35AM.html
Size the unit(s) to your home and location

Cool, thanks for the link, never realized those were heat pumps, always figured they ran heat tapes. Perfect for a small cabin in temperate climes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.