Edamame?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dezeeuwgoats, Oct 2, 2006.

1. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I was cleaning out my freezer, and found some edamame (soy beans in the pod) that is freezer burned, old enough I don't want to eat it. Can I feed as is to the pigs? :help:

thanks;
    Niki

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yes :) Gosh but such a waste for it to get freezer burned. I love edamame!!!

3. dezeeuwgoats

I know, I know - my freezers weren't nearly organized enough, and it got buried for too long. Thanks for the information, Tango. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with dinner tonight!

niki

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Now, along the same lines; the soybeans were just harvested yesterday, and there are a lot of leftover beans all over the place. I was thinking of letting my pigs range on it a little, what do you think? Will it be of any nutritional value considering they are not ground?

Thanks-

5. dezeeuwgoats

Melissa;

Edamame isn't ground. It is whole soy beans in the pod. They aren't dried though, they are soft. That said, I don't know the answer about nutritional value.

niki

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You cannot feed raw soybeans to hogs. Raw soybeans contain antitrypsin, which is a growth inhibitor that affects hogs and poultry. You have to heat soybeans to 240-260 for at least 3-5 minutes before they're safe to feed to hogs.

7. dezeeuwgoats

Tyusclan - well..................wish you'd have spoken up sooner! I fed them yesterday, and they are still around. Granted - it isn't their usual food, and it was only a pound or two, mixed with a lot of other things, fed to three, 100+lb porkers. Not sure if edamame is precooked - I'll have to check the bag when I buy some more! Hopefully, I'll never lose another bag to the deep, dark recesses of my freezer. Probably the last soybeans these guys will ever eat.

Niki

8. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

It's not deadly, it just slows their growth. No more than you fed them I'm sure they'll have no ill effect. I just for sure didn't want savinggrace to turn hers in on a field full of soybeans.