Ecoli

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 2story, Dec 6, 2006.

1. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

with lots of us butchering this time of year, and recent out breaks, i was wondering what thoughts you all had on the subject. interesting that people have used "natural" casings for sausage for ever and lived to tell about it but.

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

The fact is that e-coli, campylobacter, and salmonella are 'commonly' found in much of our food supply. They're just naturally occurring pathogens. If your food products are handled and prepared properly, the bacteria are killed and cause no problems for the consumer. Clean surfaces and utensils properly that are exposed to raw meat before using them again and cook meats to an internal temperature of 170* and there is little chance of becoming sick from any bacteria.

edit: And eggs...

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

the bugs naturally live in the gut. Don't spill the gut contents, wash everything, cook properly and you should be fine

4. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

i agree, and am not worried What is scarry is when they start pinning it on fresh green stuff, thorough cooking and proper sanitation is key.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

The first time we home butchered, the vet was stopping by to look over the critters we had not killed that am.

When he saw what we were doing, he said "Do you know how many cases of food poisioning from home processing I have seen in my past 25 yrs?" We, needless to say, said no we have no idea how many.

He told us "Zero".