Echinacea

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leah IL, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Ok, I have echinacea purpurea and angustafolia seeds. From what I am reading, I am not supposed to plant these in the spring but in the fall. So what should I do with my seeds until then? And when in the fall should I plant them? And does anyone know how exactly I should plant them? I understand they grow quite easily in almost any type of soil. Can I just pretty much throw them out there in my bed where I want them? Is there a need to start the plants indoors?

As you can tell, I don't know a whole lot about growing echinacea except that I would love to have it growing here on my land :) Any help is appreciated- thanks!

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

If you stick them in the freezer right now, you should be able to plant them this spring. The only reason one plants in fall is for stratification. Angustofolia is harder to grow. Germination is generally poor, so you might plant them inside, then transplant those that sprout.

3. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

It grows easily, it's all over my yard. I don't think you have to wait until this fall to plant it tho, you can trick seeds into thinking they've been thru the winter by stratification. With some seeds you can do dry stratification (just stick the package of seeds in the fridge or freezer) but some need moist stratification (plant them, water them, put in a plastic bag, and then put in the fridge for a couple of weeks, but NOT the freezer). Sorry, I don't know which type echinacea needs. Try both maybe? Good luck :)

4. southerngurl

Oops, they require moist stratification. You can use a moist paper towel so you can find the seeds later. Place in a ziplock for at least 4 weeks.

5. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

So put them in a ziplock bag with a paper towel in the refrigerator, just loose? Or do I have to plant them first?

6. southerngurl

Yea, just roll them up in the paper towel. That would be the most compact way to stratify them.

7. Buggs

Buggs Member

I would just plant the seeds in compost filled flats and put them in a protected place outdoors. I have had no luck planting them directly in the garden.

Buggs Bunny

8. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Leah,

See just below "plant your garden in ihe north" by john#4
    Just go plant them.
    It will work
    john#4

9. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Hi John-

You know what- I did half and half. I threw half my seeds out there on the cold wet ground and put the other half in fridge wrapped in a wet paper towel and sealed in a ziplock, just to see what will happen both ways. Can't wait to see :) Thanks, I'll be sure to read the thread.

Leah

10. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh Leah,
    I think you should have read the thread before you planted them.
    John#4

11. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

:p LOL, John, no, I threw the seeds out there before you even mentioned that thread. I was just experimenting anyway with a few seeds. I had read somewhere that you could try that with echinacea so I thought I'd see what would happen.

I DID read the thread though and went to garden web and read a bunch of articles about winter sowing. I am fascinated!!! My kids and I are going to do this with some of our seed next week. So thank you- this will satisfy our itch to get things planted and will be a fun homeschool project.