Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about something with this virus for the last few days.. and thought i would just toss it out there and see what you all think...One thing (so far) is that the places it started have a very warm climate.. is it possible that the virus could not survive a cold weather climate? as i said i have been just been kinda thinking about this whole ordeal....

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Ebola can survive for a long time in cold temps.

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is what I've read too. Now there is someone in Frisco, Tx who has symptoms of Ebola, says he had had contact with Mr. Duncan. They have taken him from the Frisco Care and are checking everyone that was in there. WFAA.com reporting, says press conference will be held later today.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If cold would kill a vrus I guess those of us that live up north in the very cold climates would never get sick .. But, no so. Practice good hand washing and common sense when in crowds etc. if that was the case we could just freeze everyone coming from Africa and they would be cured. Sadly, it isn't that easy as you well know. I over think things at times..(old nurse here)..so I understand your way of thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just guess i need to research more... and yes my mind has been working way overtime..lol..... things like this kick me into over drive on getting things done... you would think after all the years of prepping i would be done..

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
just guess i need to research more... and yes my mind has been working way overtime..lol..... things like this kick me into over drive on getting things done... you would think after all the years of prepping i would be done..
Your never done. Not if you rotate your preps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts