Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkr...n-u-s-say-top-infectious-diseases-physicians/

Not minimizing the potential of Ebola, but EV D68 has already killed 5 children, potentially causes muscle paralysis in them and is already in 45 states.

My DD has her Master's in Epidemiology and is in charge of that health department in a hospital in Atlanta. She states that the Ebola scare has gotten health workers to the point that they are afraid and no longer thinking logically, manly due to the conflicting statements issued by the CDC and Emory.

She concurs with the Forbes article, that we should be as concerned, if not more so, with ED D68, SARs, drug resistant Tuberculosis, etc.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I say it is all terrifying and all happening at once. And then I say CLOSE THE BORDERS! We just thought the ACA was going to crash our healthcare system. Now I am certain it will be taken down by the cost of treating this myriad of disasters all at once. Hospitals will be inundated and unable to keep up, then as the financial crunch hits them they will close, which will overwhelm other hospitals. It is already happening in Dallas. ER's are overloaded due to having to take on patients that normally would go to Presby.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Enterovirus is concerning and, if not for this ebola crisis, it would be the big medical story. But it will not cause fear like ebola for several reasons.

Ebola has been around for a long time, but there has never been an outbreak this size. Also it is just a plain scary disease with the mortality rate and images of end-stage bleeding.

Also, the public is becoming disillusioned about the capability of the CDC to control ebola or any other disease for that matter. Remember when the CDC inspired confidence? I think we all thought that, if a pandemic ever happened in the US, the CDC would be on top of it, containing the exposure, working on a cure, not acting like the keystone cops. Now that ebola has reached us in the US, we have learned that they aren't the take charge authority we thought they were. News reports now state that the CDC doesn't have any authority, everything is up to the local government, all the CDC does is "give recommendations".

Another thing, the CDC and all the other "experts" need to stop treating the public like idiots. Everytime I hear that we should be more worried about the flu because it is more likely to kill you than ebola, I grit my teeth. Most people have had the flu multiple times without dieing from it. I know that it is possible to die from the flu and that I'm much more likely to get the flu than ebola. But the survival rate from flu is alot better than 30%-50%. And these experts almost always end with "make sure you get your flu shot folks! :)" or "the best thing you can do is get your flu shot". PUH-LEASE...I know about the flu and planned on getting a flu shot ASAP, if only to avoid the doctor's office. But that isn't going to do much if ebola keeps multiplying exponentially (R0 = R2...thanks Contagion the movie!:)) and it comes to my state.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I have been worried about it. We were supposed to get a shipment of those sick "kids" to the small town near here. People protested. I'm not sure what is happening now, the goverment does not want people to know where they are all going. I suspect to low income areas. The border agents tryed to warn the public about the sick "kids",they were shut up.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The thing about Ebola (or so it would seem), is that it seems to kill a lot of the folks who catch it-or at least it's more deadly. What we aren't hearing about with the other is the condition of the immune system of the children who've succumbed to it. Not a shocker unfortunately. What few focus on with childhood deaths are that healthy functioning children don't die as often as those with a compromised immune system. It's simply not looked into and it's surely not discussed.

I saw a picture of the precious young boy who died. He looked healthy, smiling and beautiful, but what the majority doesn't stop to consider is that he had one droopy eye - a condition often found in children with autism. There is a doctor who does work on this but I can't find his info right this second. Of course that's about as effective as a cat chasing his own tail and we all point fingers over what might cause a child to be diagnosed with autism, but since it's not scientifically researched, it can't be ruled out that it's a byproduct of a compromised immune system. :(

·
oh, just call me Nicole
4,036 Posts
The thing about Ebola (or so it would seem), is that it seems to kill a lot of the folks who catch it-or at least it's more deadly. What we aren't hearing about with the other is the condition of the immune system of the children who've succumbed to it. Not a shocker unfortunately. What few focus on with childhood deaths are that healthy functioning children don't die as often as those with a compromised immune system. It's simply not looked into and it's surely not discussed.

I saw a picture of the precious young boy who died. He looked healthy, smiling and beautiful, but what the majority doesn't stop to consider is that he had one droopy eye - a condition often found in children with autism. There is a doctor who does work on this but I can't find his info right this second. Of course that's about as effective as a cat chasing his own tail and we all point fingers over what might cause a child to be diagnosed with autism, but since it's not scientifically researched, it can't be ruled out that it's a byproduct of a compromised immune system. :(
You are speculating an awful lot here. I've never seen anything to say that people with autism have it because of a compromised immune system. Maybe the reason it's never been researched is because it has no co-relation?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think many are more concerned with Ebola because it kills healthy adults unlike flu where death usually occurs in children, elderly, or immune-compromised individuals. Even Entero D68 targets children and most of those children had asthma or some other respiratory issue to begin with. As for SARS, I had read there haven't been any cases since 2004, so not sure why that would be a concern. Right now, as far as I know, there is nothing out there with as high of a mortality rate as Ebola in healthy adults. Sure, right now our risk is extremely low of catching it, but my concern is the possible spread due to the incompetence of those handling the current crisis. It is easy to see how this could easily become a bigger worry in the future.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You are speculating an awful lot here. I've never seen anything to say that people with autism have it because of a compromised immune system. Maybe the reason it's never been researched is because it has no co-relation?

It's not been discussed because it's not being researched because no one wants to admit it could be so. However, I'm not pulling this information out of a hat. There are documented cases of symptoms of autism going away with a change in diet. It can't be denied that many, many auto immune issues are corrected with diet. Children with autism often have bowel issues. Bowel issues are a sign of a compromised immune system. Much of your immune system is in your gut.

It's a matter of putting together the information in pieces because you won't find conventional healthcare workers looking for a cause or a cure.

·
oh, just call me Nicole
4,036 Posts
The reason they have trouble with bowel movements is because they are terrified of it. It's not because they can't it's because they don't want to. One of my best friend's has a son with autism and she spoke with a teenager who was high functioning. He said that he didn't want to poop because he thought his insides were coming out.

I'm not naysaying the importance of diet. I just get tired of people blaming everything on our diets or that natural is the only way to go. In my small town we just had a woman in her early 40s with breast cancer. She had 3 kids and a husband. She decided to treat her cancer with essential oils only...until it went Stage 4 and she had 2 months to live. By then it was too late. Extremism on either side is no good. My son takes Imuran for autoimmune hepatitis and it wrecks your immune system. It's the choice I had to make to keep him alive. He eats a good diet mostly (he is a teenage boy) but I'm not going to go the all natural route and risk his liver being even more damaged than it already is.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
The CDC's admonition about the number of people dying from the flu is meant for people with poor math skills. Sort of like the lottery.

If there's a disease loose in our population with an exponential infection rate, and a survival rate of 30%, I'd say its deserving of serious attention. I'm sad for kids with enterovirus, but so far their survival rate is high enough for it not to be compared with the potential effects of ebola.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
The CDC's admonition about the number of people dying from the flu is meant for people with poor math skills. Sort of like the lottery.

If there's a disease loose in our population with an exponential infection rate, and a survival rate of 30%, I'd say its deserving of serious attention. I'm sad for kids with enterovirus, but so far their survival rate is high enough for it not to be compared with the potential effects of ebola.
I agree with that BUT my Dr told me that she wants me to consider taking a "leave of absence" if the enterovirus pops up here. She said it is killing kids with asthma and she is worried because of mine. I have enough issues breathing on a normal day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts