Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEDICAL RESEARCH ORG CIDRAP: EBOLA TRANSMITTABLE BY AIR

The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath.

CIDRAP is warning that surgical facemasks do not prevent transmission of Ebola, and healthcare professionals (HCP) must immediately be outfitted with full-hooded protective gear and powered air-purifying respirators.
continue reading

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to note it states "it has the potential". That is very different than saying it is. To me it is like saying the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the potential to win the Super Bowl, but not likely. At least this year
For a disease this bad, unless they can definitively say it is not transferable by air, it makes senses to work on the assumption that it is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think this has been covered, it is new. All along, experts have been saying the ebola virus could *potentially* mutate to become airborne, but it hasn't yet. This was discussed as a possibility before now.

The new report from yesterday is saying they think the virus is actually able to be transmitted in the air by exhaled breath. Therefore there is a brand new recommendation made to the CDC & WHO to have health care workers use respirators, etc, in caring for ebola patients. I've been listening to the news and it sounds like this is just one of several ways the nurses caring for Duncan could have contracted ebola. Along with the Dallas hospital mess-up, I think this info will cause multiple changes regarding protocol for caring for ebola patients in the near future.

Reactions: scooter

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
For a disease this bad, unless they can definitively say it is not transferable by air, it makes senses to work on the assumption that it is.
Madness lies down that road.

If we work on the assumption that it is transmissible by air, then what is the appropriate distance to separate yourself from people who might have it? 40 feet? 40 miles? 400 miles?

The same air some guy in Florida belches out is the air that's going to eventually make it to be inhaled in Minnesota.

There are reasonable precautions to take, but I'm struggling to figure out what "reasonable" means.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just to clarify. I think that word "potentially" is a little confusing, but the article says "CIDRAP is warning that surgical facemasks do not prevent transmission of Ebola, and healthcare professionals (HCP) must immediately be outfitted with full-hooded protective gear and powered air-purifying respirators." This makes me think they are no longer treating this as something that might happen, but something that has happened.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
so far, it seems all links to this story come back to Breitbart. I'm not criticizing, I'm honestly trying to find the source of the reporting. Anybody have a link to CIDRAP that confirms this is new news? I actually believe Ebola is much more easily transmitted than they admit today however, nothing on CIDRAP or CDC sites confirms this particular report.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Madness lies down that road.

If we work on the assumption that it is transmissible by air, then what is the appropriate distance to separate yourself from people who might have it? 40 feet? 40 miles? 400 miles?

The same air some guy in Florida belches out is the air that's going to eventually make it to be inhaled in Minnesota.

There are reasonable precautions to take, but I'm struggling to figure out what "reasonable" means.
From my point of view, reasonable would be to equip healthcare workers with air fed respirators rather than paper masks, and to stop telling people they are safe as long as they aren't within 3 feet of a patient.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
423 Posts
There is a Canadian lab that has been reporting all along that it could NOT rule out the possibilities Ebola could be transmitted by air. In their study pigs infected monkeys without any contact. In the study of the infected monkeys, Ebola was found in their lungs meaning they had to inhale the virus in order for it to be present in the lung..

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
The CDC does not have to send out reports. They release / decide what they believe is best that will help and not promote panic. I just heard this on the news. This is why people dont trust our government.
This is why people shouldn't trust ANY government.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts

come on earnie,,,,that is a little far fetched....lol

·
Registered
13,422 Posts

come on earnie,,,,that is a little far fetched....lol
Really? As far fetched as the Fibonacci sequence?

That glass of water you had this morning was urinated out by a dinosaur.

Matter can neither be created nor destroyed. We are all made of stars.

We live in a giant fish bowl. Fukishima rains down radioactive particles in Nebraska and the factories in China are belching out a stink that can be seen at sunset in Alaska.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
What I think is that some people are trying to cover their backside, just in case it ever is discovered to be air transmittable. That way the can say "well we did say it was possible"

Also I do believe they are not quite sure how the health care workers caught it-other than a "break in protocol" which is meaningless, so again cover the posterior, just in case.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I think certain people have a lot to gain from selling powered air-purifying respirators. Whether that is an influence on the authors of this commentary, I won't speculate. And a profit motive wouldn't necessarily mean they are wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
That article is well researched, the group that put it out seems, as far as I can tell, to be reputable. It is one of the more detailed artcles I have found with some common sense thrown in. The point about protecting healthcare workers was very good indeed.

I may be breathing the same oxygen molecule that was in Ohio last week but supposedly the ebola virus doesn't live in the environment that long. Now, sitting on an airplane or in an ER on the other hand.....I might be getting the virus tagging along with that oxygen.

Cannot remember where I read it but ebola is supposed to target the immune cells initially in any epithilial (no spell check, sorry) area of the body. So respiratory, digestive, etc are vulnerable. Ebola supposedly shuts down the virus killing part but not inflammatory. Cells react to the inflammation and spread the virus. Sounded pretty darn effective.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts