Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did some digging around after being a little concerned about all this Ebola stuff only to find that the survival rates in the US so far are about the same as for a common cold! 100% survival so far here in the US based on 4 people treated and released.

Even in the better parts of Africa, survival is 90%. In the worst parts, it's 25% with an average survival rate of 50% ( in Africa ).

This definitely doesn't seem to be the deadly TEOTWAWKI event that many seem to be concerned about. It seems like everytime there is a new disease or potential epidemic, the frightened reaction is blown way out of all proportion.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/heal...her-key-questions-about-the-epidemic-20140930

·
Registered
536 Posts
Survival may be 100% in the few people here who have had it, but how do they feel now? Does it damage the body a lot? I would like to know how the survivors feel in the weeks, months and years after the illness. I also don't have time to be isolated in a hospital for weeks or more, and my insurance co-pays would be astronomical. I would rather not get it in the first place.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Survival may be 100% in the few people here who have had it, but how do they feel now? Does it damage the body a lot? I would like to know how the survivors feel in the weeks, months and years after the illness. I also don't have time to be isolated in a hospital for weeks or more, and my insurance co-pays would be astronomical. I would rather not get it in the first place.
Of course! Nobody WANTS to get sick with anything. But that is a lot different from hailing it as the next Bubonic plague.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you think DIC is not scary then you need to talk to a Critical Care nurse. Although you may have found some facts, I do not believe in any way that they are correct. I will say however that Ebola research has been ongoing for over 20 years--as far back as 1976--think outside the box on this one...there should be much more treatment/prevention info available to the general public. I do think that it is containable, and it is not as easily spread as the flu virus--think along the lines of HIV.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Yes.
We have successfully treated 4 patients.

And even then we had problems with waste removal.
It sat as they squabbled over who had to deal with it etc..

Now.. let's think about what would happen if a hospital had 30 cases.

No way.
They couldn't do it.

They don't keep enough supplies on hand if the truckers stopped trucking.
Not enough gloves for each and every nurse each and every time she went from room to room.
Not enough IV bags, needles etc..
and the waste would pile up in a flash.
Not enough ER rooms.
And certainly not enough isolation rooms.
Yeah.. they could block off an entire floor of a hospital, but who would want to live and work there and never leave??

It's all cool when it is a controlled thing, like 4 patients.
But add more and you get a total mess.
And let it spread and the people piled up outside the hospital, trying to get in would be HUGE.
Some with it, some without.
All trying to cram into triage tents, pushing and shoving to get their precious little Johnny to the head of the line.

Night. mare.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Yup! Survival is 100% for the people who received the experiment drug Zmapp which is, by the way, all used up. Oh yes, so good luck getting that drug now. It takes about 8 months to make enough for about 100 people..

If you think that this is not a threat I have a bridge in San Fransisco I want to sell you.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup! Survival is 100% for the people who received the experiment drug Zmapp which is, by the way, all used up. Oh yes, so good luck getting that drug now. It takes about 8 months to make enough for about 100 people..

If you think that this is not a threat I have a bridge in San Fransisco I want to sell you.
Even in the more developed parts of Africa survival rates are 90%. No they are not using Zmapp. Most people die of dehydration from Ebola, a simple fluid IV makes the difference for the majority of people.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yes.
We have successfully treated 4 patients.

And even then we had problems with waste removal.
It sat as they squabbled over who had to deal with it etc..

Now.. let's think about what would happen if a hospital had 30 cases.

No way.
They couldn't do it.

They don't keep enough supplies on hand if the truckers stopped trucking.
Not enough gloves for each and every nurse each and every time she went from room to room.
Not enough IV bags, needles etc..
and the waste would pile up in a flash.
Not enough ER rooms.
And certainly not enough isolation rooms.
Yeah.. they could block off an entire floor of a hospital, but who would want to live and work there and never leave??

It's all cool when it is a controlled thing, like 4 patients.
But add more and you get a total mess.
And let it spread and the people piled up outside the hospital, trying to get in would be HUGE.
Some with it, some without.
All trying to cram into triage tents, pushing and shoving to get their precious little Johnny to the head of the line.

Night. mare.

Not only the above, but I keep thinking about who is going to pay for all this treatment?

Here is a math problem for you..

How many Ebola patients will it take to bankrupt an insurance company?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Even in the more developed parts of Africa survival rates are 90%. No they are not using Zmapp. Most people die of dehydration from Ebola, a simple fluid IV makes the difference for the majority of people.

Nope - I think this article says 50% survival for infected individuals. 10% for pregnant women.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/heal...her-key-questions-about-the-epidemic-20140930

Of course American is 100% with 4 people successfully treated. That may change very soon. Especially if the standard of treatment will be the same as the family secluded in there home.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Hang on now.
I am a Liberal and I think we are in serious trouble.
Too much red tape tripping everyone up.
Too much posturing for position and power.
Too much hubris that we are sooo special, so exceptional, that we are better than an African nation.
I am watching and making plans.
I think it is the biggest actual, non-imagined, non-made up for profiteering's sake, non-made of for ratings problem we have had in several generations.
Bigger than even the Cold War, which was mainly made up and nothing actually happened..other than defense contractors made a ton of money.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Many patients who survive Ebola have a prolonged period of joint and muscle paint and lack of energy that lasts months. Few were able to quickly go back to performing at their previous energy level. This is from a study that followed survivors for about a year, if I remember correctly.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
It's a question of numbers. The strict isolation requirements will overwhelm the health system. The four that were successfully treated were in special facilities that don't exist within all of the hospitals in this country.

One hospital allowed an Ebola infected patient to leave. What's that tell you?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think it's much too soon to decide this is much to do about nothing. But hey that's your choice.

I plan to watch , read, listen, and not to get all upset.

Reactions: terri9630

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
In Africa when such things happen they normally self quarantine.

Blocked Roads and no comes or goes.

I read a book long ago about a ebola outbreak.

Mostly fiction but based on a real case scenario.

I puked so much at the possibility it brings.

I feel sorry for these people, but we worry so much about bio-security on farms... What about the nation?

We should not be bringing infected people here.

Its insane.

I'll leave it there.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope - I think this article says 50% survival for infected individuals. 10% for pregnant women.

Of course American is 100% with 4 people successfully treated. That may change very soon. Especially if the standard of treatment will be the same as the family secluded in there home.
Yup. You are not reading up enough. 90% survival in the more developed parts of Africa, 25% in the less developed parts. They AVERAGE a 50% survival rate. The devil is in the details ;)

Most of us have absolutely no idea the conditions that exist in places like Liberia. Its like living in an open sewer. They have no real hospital care. Because we have no concept of what goes on there we cannot compare what goes on there to what goes on in any developed society. Just the very basic sanitary conditions and the use of a fluid IV can change the outcome from almost certain death to almost certain recovery.

In sanitary conditions, with just very basic medical care the Ebola virus is little more than a bad flu.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Yup. You are not reading up enough. 90% survival in the more developed parts of Africa, 25% in the less developed parts. They AVERAGE a 50% survival rate. The devil is in the details ;)
I think you're whistling past the graveyard and also not very well educated on how statistics are calculated.

By your standard, if I point to any one individual who survived ebola I can then claim a 100% success rate.

But that's not how those statistics are calculated. Statistics are calculated across the board of all known individuals who have contracted the disease.

You're cherry-picking your information to try and show a different picture of events. And also, the title of your thread should be "much ado about nothing" as that is the common phrase based on the comedic work by Shakespeare.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
In Africa when such things happen they normally self quarantine.

Blocked Roads and no comes or goes.

I read a book long ago about a ebola outbreak.

Mostly fiction but based on a real case scenario.

I puked so much at the possibility it brings.

I feel sorry for these people, but we worry so much about bio-security on farms... What about the nation?

We should not be bringing infected people here.

Its insane.

I'll leave it there.
you made me think of the requirements for import export of food. food only gets who eats or handles it ill not their contacts after contamination or ingestion. oh for pete's sake this whole situation just stinks.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you're whistling past the graveyard and also not very well educated on how statistics are calculated.

By your standard, if I point to any one individual who survived ebola I can then claim a 100% success rate.

But that's not how those statistics are calculated. Statistics are calculated across the board of all known individuals who have contracted the disease.

You're cherry-picking your information to try and show a different picture of events. And also, the title of your thread should be "much ado about nothing" as that is the common phrase based on the comedic work by Shakespeare.

Not at all. I think you're the one not very well educated about the issue. 4 people treated in the US, 4 survived. That makes a 100% success rate IN THE USA. You have to compare apples to apples. What happens in Liberia is not comparable, statistically, to what happens in a developed nation with good medical care.

You are actually the one cherry picking. What you are doing is like calculating the risk of shark attack using only deep sea divers with open wounds in your formula, and trying to apply that statistic to the rest of the world. The same odds simply do not apply.

Though I agree with some here who have expressed a fear of hospitals becoming overwhelmed, as it stands, the disease itself is highly treatable.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts