1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Yes, good news indeed. The US could learn some good lessons from both countries. One of the keys, as I understand it, was physical monitoring, not "voluntary self monitoring" as is done here. Oh, and they didn't let folks who had contact with Ebola victims travel by air or cruise ship. Yup, we could learn a lot from these countries.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was in full panic mode when this thing started, but I am wondering if the disease really is a tad harder to get as the family living with Duncan did NOT get it.

How that is possible I do not understand. I seems as though the virus is not really as contagious until late in the progression maybe even past the point of saving the persons life. Maybe that will be the saving grace of this thing and maybe that is how the other countries have gotten in front of it. The stigma of ebola caused many in Liberia to not seek help until the disease was well progressed causing others to get it more easily. Everyone who has gotten it has been with someone who was just about to die.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
For sure the CDC idiots spew forth bla bla bla . . . . but yet they have NO meaningful answers to this situation ...
Love it that Micheal Savage says criminal charges should be brought up against Dr Fredin....

Stay tuned for the next chapter . . . . News at noon . . .?!?!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The question that occurs to me is why the relatives came up clean, but healthcare workers in Africa wearing full protection have died in large numbers. Something here isn't making any sense.
It has to be the point in time they were exposed. Has to be. But then again… from earlier reports, Duncan was at the stage where he had serious vomiting and diarrhea while he was at home. And you know the family had to get it some of it on them.

Maybe the virus changes later in the disease. That would make sense insofar as why it's easier to catch later on. It's possible to catch it early on when someone tests positive but that would largely be maybe an infection of opportunity, of every circumstance being exactly right. And later, because it's changed, any little contamination is infectious.

I don't buy that it's all dependent on virus load. If it were solely dependent on that, it would be just as contagious early as it is later. Else people wouldn't be catching it in early stages at all. No, I'd almost bet (not a lot of money but some) that it mutates as it develops in a patient. I would think a teaspoon of blood or vomit or sweat that gets on someone that has say 100 of the little virus boogers in it should be as dangerous as a teaspoon that has a million of them. But then again, I know next to nothing about viruses and how they work, so what do I know?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was talking to a friend of mine today. Her DIL works in a hospital. She was talking to her on the phone, and found out that they do Ebola drills w/full protective gear on. B4 taking it off, they get sprayed w/chocolate. Then, once they get the gear off, they're checked for chocolate. If there's any on them, it means that they touched the gear. If it were to happen w/an actual Ebola patient, then it means that they would have to go into isolation for several (21?) days.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
The question that occurs to me is why the relatives came up clean, but healthcare workers in Africa wearing full protection have died in large numbers. Something here isn't making any sense.
That's been my question from the time the nurses got it. They were exposed to him after the family in the apartment was. I know there are variable lengths of time between getting it and showing symptoms but for none of them to get sick is ... strange. I was reading an article somewhere today, sorry I don't have a link because I don't remember where I read it, that said 95% of those who get ebola will show symptoms within the 21 days. That means that 5% can get it after that amount of time. I think 42 days is the time limit for that 5% and that's how many days it's been since Nigeria had a case of ebola diagnosed.

So, I have to wonder if he told them ahead of time that he'd been exposed and they set up some type of precautions before he got there. I can't imagine how they could have done that because that apartment probably isn't that big. I guess it will be one of life's little mysteries but it really is odd.

Reactions: Pearl B

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
That's been my question from the time the nurses got it. They were exposed to him after the family in the apartment was. I know there are variable lengths of time between getting it and showing symptoms but for none of them to get sick is ... strange. I was reading an article somewhere today, sorry I don't have a link because I don't remember where I read it, that said 95% of those who get ebola will show symptoms within the 21 days. That means that 5% can get it after that amount of time. I think 42 days is the time limit for that 5% and that's how many days it's been since Nigeria had a case of ebola diagnosed.

So, I have to wonder if he told them ahead of time that he'd been exposed and they set up some type of precautions before he got there. I can't imagine how they could have done that because that apartment probably isn't that big. I guess it will be one of life's little mysteries but it really is odd.

That's something I hadn't thought of. Does anyone know for a fact the family was staying there while he was there?

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts

My guess is that they are not telling the truth about Duncans' girlfriend and the family. I think it's pretty well impossible for them to not have contracted the disease.
Otherwise the media would have been all over them as soon as they got out of quarentine.
Has anyone seen them on tv since?

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I think there was a statement from her the other day but maybe it was from someone else in that family. There is one other possibility I suppose, maybe when they went into quarantine they were being treated for ebola right away. I wonder if starting IV fluids and such before any symptoms appeared would help prevent it from getting started. Sort of purge the body as the virus was trying to take hold?

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I think there was a statement from her the other day but maybe it was from someone else in that family. There is one other possibility I suppose, maybe when they went into quarantine they were being treated for ebola right away. I wonder if starting IV fluids and such before any symptoms appeared would help prevent it from getting started. Sort of purge the body as the virus was trying to take hold?
I heard on the radio, drinking a certian ammount of water every hour seems to help enormously those infected.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Otherwise the media would have been all over them as soon as they got out of quarentine.
Has anyone seen them on tv since?
They are still private people, they may be choosing to not go public. In their shoes, there is nothing on this earth that would cause me to subject myself to a media interview. Some people don't care to enlighten those with "inquiring minds" or have their "5 minutes of fame", and they shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I was really freaked about it too. Then in my searches I came across articles and vids that suggests that it's basically a hoax. I'm really starting to think perhaps that's the case. There's just to many things that don't add up.
This article sums up the best of the hoax theory and why. I think the first vid on the page is quite telling. Make up your own mind about it!
http://truthseekerdaily.com/2014/10/ebo-lie-man-living-in-ghana-confirms-ebola-is-a-hoax/

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I don't believe that for a second. First, there is no ebola vaccine and his theory that they 'let the black guy die' to push black people into getting the vaccine' (that doesn't exist)...... well the black nurse lived so what does that say?

Reactions: kaitala

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
Private people? I read somewhere the girlfriend was saying she was going to write a book about Duncan and his death from ebola,.....so not wanting the publicity doesn't jive with what she supposedly said.
Something is very fishy about all of this and I tend to believe Coco and her allegations about ebola being more widespread then the cdc is saying.

I don't see why the press isn't tripping over each other to get the first live interview with her either......unless the press got a gag order against them......

·
Registered
112 Posts
I prefer to sit back, watch & listen. What is being fed over the media, internet, source of news etc. needs to be questioned.
Just need explanation since WHO was pronouncing that by the end of the year the Ebola epidemic was going to surpass 10,000 patients. Now the WHO is declaring officially over in Senegal? We've not been given the true acct. of the # of deaths in Africa and each week the public is given different stats for those that have actually contracted Ebola.
My ? is who is giving verifiable info? Please tell me because several 'official' well known news (media, online newspapers, blogs) fail to give verifiable sources.
My rant but I feel like the child in the 'pass the rumor' game :/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts