Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from all you medical folks out there as to what kind of contingency plans you are aware of, when ALL the "isolation" wards/facilities are crammed full.

What then . . ?????

It would be a good thing if the situation were openly broadcast over the air so folks would know to stay away from the horse-bittles . . . . .crowds in the waiting rooms will only make things worse.

Will any "staff" run for the hills. . .??

·
Super Moderator
16,681 Posts
I suspect that this will be a lot like the Swine flu: Some hospitals will get full but not all of them will be full, and so it will be possible to transfer out folks with other ailments to other hospitals.

People have died already and I think that MORE people will die, and then the illness will be brought under control, and the scare will be over, just like it did with Swine Flu.

In My Humble Opinion.

And no, the staff will not run. They may ask people with fevers to notify the staff when they sign in, the nurses may wear masks, and if they are needed an entire hallway of rooms an be set up as an isolation ward for an overflow.

All hospitals know how to deal with the really nasty and contageous illnesses.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
The fact that Ebola needs level 4 containment and the hospital in Texas that's handling this only has level 2 makes me very worried. Most medical people I know plan on walking off the job if it comes to their hospital. Only the very dedicated/stupid would stay. No one wants to risk their families.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I don't see why not, before undressing, they don't wade or jump in a big tub or vat of 10% bleach water and stay in there a few minutes BEFORE trying to take off the protective gear. At least the bleach solution might be able to get into all the nooks and crannies. Yeah, it would be uncomfortable and you would need to be hooked up to something so as not to drown but it would be better than catching ebola. I am pretty sure 10% bleach solution is supposed to kill it.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part of my point is that it would take a very small number of "patients" too fully tax any "isolation" capability.......

I mean 10 peoples when there is 100 in the waiting room......?????

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Part of my point is that it would take a very small number of "patients" too fully tax any "isolation" capability.......

I mean 10 peoples when there is 100 in the waiting room......?????
Ten?

Hah.

Try ONE.

One single patient in a Dallas hospital and now they shut their doors to emergency care.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I'm starting to think Ebola is the reason my Dr left last month. He was different from most Dr's. Embraced growing your own food, getting back to the land, alternative medicine, etc.
Also a growing family and lots of kids.

We have very few level 4 hospitals in the states.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Two hospitals in our community and one is preparing an appropriate isolation area.

I would like to highly encourage anyone who is interested, to enter the medical/nursing professions. The professions are severely lacking in all kinds of staff but I think the vast majority of them do a fine job with what they have. Joining the profession(s) would give people an opportunity to help, always have a job, and be able to criticize knowledgeably.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
A bit of a mixed bag in this article.

There are four places in the United States set up to handle a patient sickened by the Ebola virus, and Missoula is one of those.
Then goes on to say

“We know that even with the regular support any Western hospital can provide, we can treat Ebola,” Risi said. “Just with IV fluids and electrolytes and clotting control, we can reduce the mortality rate from 70 or 80 percent down to 30 or 40 percent. We don’t need to talk about exotic treatments.”
Level 1 has protection against things generally not dangerous to healthy people, like brewer’s yeast.
Level 2 is the safety margin of the standard hospital microbiology lab, where clinicians test for routine diseases like chicken pox or staph infections.
Level 3 spaces can handle infectious diseases spread by air, like influenza, bubonic plague or yellow fever – that have known cures.
Level 4 units are for exotic agents that may or may not have cures available, or appear in highly concentrated or modified forms from a research institution.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/st...cle_da521772-4839-11e4-b266-4342d105e33f.html

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Q: Can any U.S. hospital safely treat Ebola patients?

A: Frieden and other health officials say yes, but others say the new case shows the risks.

"We can't control where the Ebola patient appears," so every hospital's emergency room needs to be prepared to isolate and take infection control precautions, Maki said.

That said, "I don't think we should expect that small hospitals take care of Ebola patients. The challenge is formidable," and only large hospitals like those affiliated with major universities truly have enough equipment and manpower to do it right, Maki said.

"If we allow it to be taken care of in hospitals that have less than optimal resources, we will promote the spread," he warned.

Here's the whoel article http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...CONTROL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

So if we only treat Ebola at University hospitals where does that leave all the rest of us? We're 5 hours from any University hospital.

To the OP, I work in primary care. All the focus on identifying Ebola victims has been on ER's. So far nothing has come to us by the CDC or our local public health department. And I don't think there are any contingency plans if the isolation units are full. But if they can build Ebola Hospitals in Africa I suspect the military can build them here too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Biohazard labs where they work with viruses such as ebola, Marburg, etc are totally self contained units away from any and all other buildings. They are equipped with separate air and water supplies as well as separate decontamination processes for air and water. The people are in level 4 biohazard suits, the decontamination area has multiple wash down rooms and ultraviolet room and each person must go through EACH area before they are cleared of any contamination. There are multiple airlock chambers to go in and out of the building as well as within the building from one area to another. The hospital in Texas is not set up as a level 4, only a level 2. The breakdown in protocol is because level 2 is totally insufficient for containing and protecting from a level 4 virus ie; ebola. I don't believe the nurse or any other medical staff have a chance to avoid being contaminated. And the entire hospital is at risk because of shared air, heat, water supply. Will be interesting to see what the cdc has to say as to how the breakdown occurred. I obtained the above information from Wikipedia on biosafety levels.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, we already have one nurse that has Ebola. If this trend continues, you better bet that the medical staff will run for the door. I'm not nursing anymore and I would have fled already. This stuff is so bad, that one screw up will probably kill you. I have talked to other nurses, and they are totally nervous. I think that most medical staff would be willing to work if there was a measure of safety, such as a vaccine. But there is nothing. Only the big chance that you will die. Medical people have families and lives to live. They should not be asked to commit suicide if things get out of hand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am the director of a larger childcare center we have about 150 on the enrollment, we are right down the street form the hospital and have many many medical professional children in our care... I will be very interested in seeing what happens if it ever comes to the area... I am guessing it will be a miracle if I don't get it.. Just wondering what day the physicians kids quit showing up at the center, that should be a good indicator of a problem..

1 - 20 of 86 Posts