Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-names-5-u-s-bases-for-troop-ebola-quarantines/

In explaining why the military is quarantining all troops returning from west Africa while the civilian authorities are not-

"Officials have said the difference reflect the facts that troops are in West Africa in greater numbers, for longer periods of time and are not there by choice. They also said they took into account concerns among family members and the communities from which the troops are deploying."

So basically the public, who also has no choice it appears about who shows up carrying whatever disease, however long the person has spent in west Africa, is not to have their "concerns among family members and the communities" considered while the military, however illogically, does. Why are TPTB so willing to let such irrational policies stand? And even be proud of such dividing of American into those with the power to object and those who will let it slide?

Only because they can. The public has been fed nothing be negativity for so long, they actually believe they themselves are the enemy. Well, maybe not them personally- in their own opinion- they know they are the exception- but everyone else who looks and acts just like them certainly is. Makes no sense but having enough sense to recognize doublethink has always been a problem.

I guess this attitude represents the general attitude that has developed in government and the media that whatever they perceive is the dominate segment of the American public is actually the real enemy of human progress and should have no say in their own future.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-names-5-u-s-bases-for-troop-ebola-quarantines/

In explaining why the military is quarantining all troops returning from west Africa while the civilian authorities are not-

"Officials have said the difference reflect the facts that troops are in West Africa in greater numbers, for longer periods of time and are not there by choice. They also said they took into account concerns among family members and the communities from which the troops are deploying."

So basically the public, who also has no choice it appears about who shows up carrying whatever disease, however long the person has spent in west Africa, is not to have their "concerns among family members and the communities" considered while the military, however illogically, does. Why are TPTB so willing to let such irrational policies stand? And even be proud of such dividing of American into those with the power to object and those who will let it slide?

Only because they can. The public has been fed nothing be negativity for so long, they actually believe they themselves are the enemy. Well, maybe not them personally- in their own opinion- they know they are the exception- but everyone else who looks and acts just like them certainly is. Makes no sense but having enough sense to recognize doublethink has always been a problem.

I guess this attitude represents the general attitude that has developed in government and the media that whatever they perceive is the dominate segment of the American public is actually the real enemy of human progress and should have no say in their own future.
The military cited no enhanced threat from the returning service members for their decision to quarantine them. They did cite public perception and fears. A great way to make policy. Some people are afraid of the bogeyman. If enough voice that concern should we have a national policy to fight the bogeyman? Look up Dengue fever and ramp up your worries even more. Maybe quarantines for everyone traveling from Asia are in order. After all , the organism responsible might just jump to another, more common, mosquito species here. Were probably just lucky it hasn't.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The linked article also mentions the creation of a special military group of doctors and nurses specializing in infectious diseases to "be available to go to US hospitals" to help them deal with new cases. However, after years of Obamaspeak, I suspect that any such group will be ordered overseas as soon as they get some experience.

One of Obama's most infuriating attributes is the constant application of half truths. He constantly lies in this fashion, handing out the acceptable part and holding back the unacceptable. In fact it's become so constant that if he said "what a lovely day", I'd immediately start looking for what he intends to do to make it into a bad one. He must know that this is the same as outright lying.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
The linked article also mentions the creation of a special military group of doctors and nurses specializing in infectious diseases to "be available to go to US hospitals" to help them deal with new cases. However, after years of Obamaspeak, I suspect that any such group will be ordered overseas as soon as they get some experience.

One of Obama's most infuriating attributes is the constant application of half truths. He constantly lies in this fashion, handing out the acceptable part and holding back the unacceptable. In fact it's become so constant that if he said "what a lovely day", I'd immediately start looking for what he intends to do to make it into a bad one. He must know that this is the same as outright lying.
And once again, you argue against Obama rather than for any rational basis for policy. You say our current readiness is inadequate yet criticize a plan to make us more ready. Stopping Ebola in west Africa should be our top priority. If it doesn't exist there then there is no reason to fear it coming here. If your neighbor's house is burning do you demand the fire department sprays water on yours, or theirs?

·
Registered
16,445 Posts

http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/courie...fae-74f3-55c6-a53a-5ee211e3fcef.html?mode=jqm

Maybe you can figure out a way to blame this policy on Obama. Even a noted nonlib like me can agree with Gov. Perry once in awhile.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Military are held to a different standard. The sign their rights away when they enlist. The rest of us do not.

Reactions: thesedays

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Military are held to a different standard. The sign their rights away when they enlist. The rest of us do not.
Apparently we did looking at the results.

Reactions: Eagle-eye

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
The only difference between the military and civilian responses to this issue is that while neither sector is sure about what is being faced, incubation/contagious periods, adequate precautions, etc. , the military is more disciplined than the civilian sector and will abide by the quarantine limits currently considered the requirement.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What results? All the cases of ebola being transmitted willy nilly across the land? Seems like the policy is working pretty good.
Confusing the lack of rain yet with immunity from flooding is a common mistake.

Reactions: partndn

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
Confusing the lack of rain yet with immunity from flooding is a common mistake.
Preparing for the impact from a potential flood is different than spending your time and effort building levees so high they are impractical. As I've repeatedly said, prudent precautions are in order. As I pointed out earlier, the governor of Texas and his hand picked panel of experts agree that mass quarantines and travel bans aren't prudent at this time. It's not a left-right, conservative-liberal conflict.

Yesterday I gassed up the snowblower and made sure it was running properly in case the storm just north of us dipped south. I didn't go out and dump $50,000 into a new truck and plow. Prudent action vs unwarranted panic.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
. Prudent action vs unwarranted panic.
Yes. Prudent action versus oblivious inaction.

Since I don't want to waste time dealing with recreational sniping parading itself as discussion, I'm not going to be dragged into this again. Actually you don't even need my posts anyway as you just create an irrational position, assign it then rebut in the most supercilious way you can devise.

I might check again to see if you can provide anything I said that qualifies as " unwarranted panic" to discuss particulars. Otherwise, I'll mostly just assume that I don't need to swat insults back and forth. It drags me down into the muck.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
Yes. Prudent action versus onlivious inaction.

Since I don't want to waste time dealing with recreational sniping parading itself as discussion, I'm not going to be dragged into this again. Actually you don't even need my posts anyway as you just create an irrational position, assign it then rebut in the most supercilious way you can devise.

I might check again to see if you can provide anything I said that qualifies as " unwarranted panic" to discuss particulars. Otherwise, I'll mostly just assume that I don't need to swat insults back and forth. It drags me down into the muck.
So I'll change it to unwarranted, over intrusive government intervention. You keep trying to characterize my position as being oblivious to the danger and arguing against any action at all. I keep repeating my support of the prudent actions taken so far and the continuation of policies not driven by fear and put in place by politicians who have to look tough on something. I may have been dismissive of your opinions but it is all I can comment on since you have produced not one study, one doctor, one scientist, one epidemiologist to support your opinion that the danger is so high as to justify the actions you propose or that those actions would be effective at this time and not counterproductive. I would gladly comment on anything like that. Just as I would gladly have you comment on the links I've provided and the policies and experts cited within rather than attacking and mischaracterizing my positions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts