Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who sells regularly on ebay explain to me why someone would ship to a billing address if the shipping and billing addresses were different? My ebay account has a billing address from our last house because not all of our payment methods (bank accounts and credit cards) have the updated information. The shipping address through paypal and ebay are BOTH our current address.

We won an auction last night and the seller just sent an email to say that they shipped it to the wrong address. Normally I'd say no big deal and have it forwarded to this location, but these are hatching eggs and they'd have an improbably low hatch rate if I tried that. They apparently noticed they used the wrong address after they sent the eggs.

The seller's emails have basically put all of the blame on us, and only after me asking several times how I am supposed to get purchased items to my address did they say they will resend to the proper address and take a loss on it. I know these aren't easy times, and I don't want to see people spending money unnecessarily, but I think that an item I purchased should be sent to the proper address, especially when that address was provided to begin with.

Can anyone who ebays regularly explain to me what could have happened that would justify not only the shipping error but the absolutely terrible attitude I have gotten from the seller?

Kayleigh

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
They should have shipped to the shipping address and since it WAS their mistake, they should have kindly corrected their error & sent another shipment to the correct address. I'm sorry you've been getting a hassle.

Hope you get a good hatch!

Kelly

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they hatch too! I have this fear now that the person is going to shake the eggs up before they ship them because they were so snippy in their emails.

If they sent an email saying that they shipped it to the wrong address, that means that they had all the information and goofed up. Telling me I need to "take care of it so it doesn't happen again" makes no sense when they had the necessary information.

Ah well, let's hope they show up in one piece and then hatch too!

Kayleigh

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's only one way they could have shipped to the wrong address, it was an eBay and/or Paypal mistake. If you had changed your address information to your new address in your personal profile on eBay and Paypal then the seller would not have had access to your old address. If the seller sent to the old address then eBay or Paypal hadn't changed to your new address. It's not the seller's fault and not your fault. Send a complaint to customer service on eBay (if you can get through to them!). Ebay make a lot of mistakes and Paypal is an eBay company. I do a lot of business on eBay. The larger they get, the worse they get. That's why there are so many spin-off auction sites.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, they did print the label to reship the eggs. We didn't get a paypal shipping invoice for the first shipment they say that they made, only this one. Although in the last five minutes they have canceled the shipping and then redone it. All attempts list our current address though.

I could see it being an ebay error if they only had one address to go by and that was it, and they shipped it to that address. The thing is, there was an address with paypal too. As soon as you have two different addresses in front of you, if you don't know where it goes, you need to stop and ask the buyer. At that point, the blame for the circumstances might be ebay. The blame for the incorrect shipping is the seller. They noticed they shipped it to the wrong address after the fact, so they obviously did have the information.

I haven't sold things on ebay, but I have sold things through paypal and other online sites. I have always double checked my shipping information between paypal and the other information I have received.

Kayleigh

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I rarely notice if shipping address and billing address differ.

I always use PayPal's multi-order shipping tool which prints my labels from the address they have on hand. It would take me forever to print individually, and the multi-order tool doesn't show the entire PayPal transaction info.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
eBay recommends against shipping to alternative addresses - to help reduce fraud. Also when you print your shipping labels online the address and stuff is already filled in for you. That's why it is important to change your address before you bid. When I was selling on eBay, if the bidder sent me a separate email asking an item to be sent to a different address I noted it and complied, but with out that it went to the address on record.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts