Ebay tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

if it was near PA you would be in a heap of trouble, lol. i need one. i guess it is worth as much as you want to pay for it. or perhaps the amount you would pay otherwise. personally, i wouldn't go over $4200, but that is me. it's old but looks like it is decent shape.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I really have no idea, dont see old Fords of this era with backhoe and loader very often or if they do have a loader its so light duty as to be useless.

Even at the buy it now price of $5200, if you lived close and used it at all and then cleaned and painted it up, doubt you'd have real hard time getting your money back. Be nice to add a cylinder and control for bucket, lot handier than old trip style bucket. I'd also be curious what capacity hydraulics are with the backhoe. I've used a couple rental mini diesels with backhoe attachments that were just plain gutless around here with clay and rock. Up north with deep topsoil and you just wanting to dig a trench or something, might be ok.

Hmm, I also wonder how exactly they attached the backhoe. The pics dont show that kind of detail. I prefer frame mount myself. Depending on hitch components on very light tractor like this might be asking a lot. Then again this backhoe was factory engineered for this tractor so assume they took weaknesses and strengths of various mounting points into account.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You really do not want that rig. Not too user friendly, underpowered and hard to steer. Overall problematic. Price already exceeds value.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Be extremely careful as farm equipment listed like this is one of eBay's biggest scam areas. Someone will steal someone else's user id, then someone else's pictures and list as if they owned the equipment. Never, ever, bid on something like this without giving it a hands-on inspection first. Try also to verify it hasn't been stolen and is being quickly fenced on eBay.

I agree with agmantoo. I have a Ford 3000 based backhoe. Paid $7,500 for it about 10 years ago now, and then paid about twice its value. Right handy and it has saved me loads in hiring someone for simple backhoe jobs, but even it is underpowered. Have turned it on its side once and came close a couple of other times.

Also doesn't have a rollbar. I put one on mine after I tried to push over a dead tree and a large limb came down over the rig. Fortunately it caught mostly between the bucket and backhoe, but still hit top of my heads and slightly compressed neck vertebrae. Dr. said a little bit more and it may have broken my neck. Since it would have been several days before anyone even came looking for me, likely I would have died from exposure or dehydration.

If all you will be doing is simple, low-load jobs, may be OK. Don't expect to put it to heavy-duty use.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not see a seat for the bh? Is one supposed to run the bh from the tractor seat, twisting around?????

These tractors are way overpriced for what they can do. The backhoe is not real strong. The loader is way to big for the tractor, & will wear out the front end parts.

With no power steering the loadser is tough to use. With the internal pump not working, the 3pt also should not be working, unless he did some plumbing to hook up the front pump to the 3pt?

I would not pay the buy now price, but I'm sure he will get it.

The good news is, you can always resell it again for an over-inflated price tot he next person who just will pay anything for a Ford N......

Looks like I'm an hour or 2 from it, so be glad I'm not an N fan. :) :) :) :) Note that over 1/2 of my tractors _are_ Fords. The N series, esp the 9, is _very_ short on features (none-live pto, weak hyd, 3-speed tranny, etc.) They seem overpriced to what the money will get you from a mid 1950's or 60's tractor when better features came out.

But, if you buy it, you will always get your money back, that is the good thing about a Ford N. So don't let me scare you away.

--->Paul

7. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

It is already bid up to its max value. Maybe a collector may pay more, but Its not worth more than $3200 as a working machine.

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I don't know what the PTO HP of a 9n is but an 8n (which was actually a newer model) is 18HP. Personally, I wouldn't buy one (and I have one) for the front loader and backhoe. Just not enough oomph for most jobs.

If you are interested I have a 1952 8n which I am thinking about selling (Ohio). The reason for selling is that we got it when we only had our first parcel. After tripling our acreage the 8n isn't big enough for our needs.

Mike

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm about an hour's drive from the tractor, and according to the local (Wisconsin) shopper paper, people around here seem to think that they are worth $4000 or so with a loader and backhoe. And the closer to the Twin Cities, the more they seem willing to pay. And, Ford tractors are sort of a cult item, and sell for more than their actual value as a working machine. I paid $850 for my 1941 9N about 10 years ago, and use it to pull a trailer or mow. I would agree that it is underpowered for use with a loader and backhoe, and although someone will probably pay close to the Buy-it-Now price, I think that is too much.

10. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

It says a lot about the quality of the original tractor that it is still in working condition after this many decades of service, but that notwithstanding, I would shy away from a small, gas powered tractor handling such heavy equipment.

11. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I have ran into 2 Ebay Tractors that were scams in the last week-------Turned them into E-bay. One was a almost new app 60hp tractor with front end loader with plastic still on seet--------Lot of Pics------Looked to never be used---Worth app $25,000 in my opinion-------It was BUY-IT-NOW for $6000 Free Shipping------As Soon As He Gets Your Money-----------NO WAY---Would Never See it---AFTER HE GOT YOUR MONEY. Becareful. Randy

12. farmerscotty

farmerscotty Well-Known Member

Ok, I sell and buy on Ebay and I can tell you that I would NOT ever buy anything that big without someone looking at it......either myself or someone else. I almost made a mistake and bought a trackloader on Ebay. Called the man was 155 miles away to go see before auction ended. He wouldn't let me come.....said it would not be fair to the rest of the bidders..........I smelled a rat.......Emailed man that bought it.........came 400+ miles to get it.......got it home and it was JUNK>>>>>>>BIG TIME>>>>>>>>>

Lots of good people on Ebay, but would you go to an auction and buy something without even looking it over for 4K? I doubt it, I sure wouldn't.

SO run run like the wind to the local paper and place a "want to buy ad" Let people that want to sell something come to you.......after all they are motivated to sell.......

Farmerscotty

13. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I ran a 1954 Ford with a very similar loader on my farm for 14 years. My loader had lots of power, I used it to set a 1,000 gal propane tank (while the propane guys stood back and said "That won't work"). Moved tons of manure. It had enough down power to put in steel fence posts or raise the front end up to change a flat tire easily.

The tractor was too small to safely handle big, round bales (that is why I sold it, got $2800 from a dealer for the tractor and loader 4 years ago). It probably doesn't have power steering, makes it hard to steer, especially with a full loader. PTO continues to spin after you push the clutch in, so a bushhog will keep you moving for a bit unless you put a slip clutch on the PTO. A 6 foot blade is pretty big, you'll have to take small bites.

In central Illinois, if it runs ok, that wouldn't be a bad price for the whole package!

Kathie

14. Terrco

Terrco Active Member

Lots of good points here. I can't add much except that the tractor being that far north would make me leary a/k/a lots of ether in the air breather in the winter time.

Other points:
    1. The front end and backhoe components looks like they've been added on with home made parts.
    2. The front loader bucket has extensions added to it, which means more stress on a very old system.
    Both the front end and backhoe look huge for this little 20HP gas burner.
    I'm certainly no expert, but my vote is stay in front and back away from this one.

TC

15. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Well,I'm no tractor expert...that tractor looks like the old Ford we have here,and I have to say,it's a good piece of machinery. It's been used to death and it keeps on going. But,again,I'm not an expert :)
    I agree with FarmerScotty,not sure how I would feel about buying something high priced without seeing it first.

16. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

I personally LOVE ebay and have bought nearly everything on there clothes books, school curriculum, the list goes on and on.

My husband was looking at a tracker probably six months ago that was on there. It was fairly new and said it was being sold by a local farm equipment company. It had lots of great pictures and seemed to be fairly decent. Since we are familiar with most of the local companies we studied the background in the pictures and called the company to get some more details. The person on the phone was unaware of them using ebay auctions as a means to sell. They looked up the auction and sure enough it was a pic of their tractor, but they were not selling it on ebay. However they had, had a problem with some thefts. Auction was reported to ebay and was a scam!

BE VERY WARY! I would suggest working out a cash on delivery deal. You hand them the money when they dish over the tractor. I would think if they are unwilling to do that it is probably a scam. I would also be sure not to do the deal alone.

You also have the option of pulling your bid if you are having second thoughts or if the seller refuses to cash on delivery deal. I think you can retract your bid as long as it is more than 24 hours until the end of the auction. gl TINK

17. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. I would not buy this rig at any price. Also please note that a 9N has the left brake on the LEFT side next to the clutch. This makes it VERY DIFFICULT to operate.

18. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

No I wouldnt buy something this expensive sight unseen. I was assuming Tinkal lived close enough to go look at it first. Most sellers of large items encourage you to come and look in person cause they know few want to gamble sight unseen. Either that or they sell for enough of a deposit to cover ebay fees and you can reject it when you come to pick it up with no hard feelings. Many are even trying to sell locally at same time and reserve the right to end auction if local buyer comes up with cash in hand.

As to loader, I figure people have enough sense to not try to pick up 2000# load with a 2000# tractor. I have a friend with a modern 30hp 4wd MF diesel with loader. The hydraulics are capable of picking up the weight of the tractor, but the tractor sure isnt, it lets you know quickly when you have too much of a load, frame flexes and rear wheel may go up in air, etc. Now a 50hp tractor that weighs say 5000 to 6000 pounds could handle much heavier load with same loader though I would hope most would go for heavier duty loader. And remember you need a heavy duty front axle to handle a heavy load in a loader.

19. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I don't see how the bucket dumps. Only hydralics I see are the two to lift it up. Don't see any hoses running or such to dump the bucket once it is full.

I suspect you are looking at $1K or so to fix the problems cited. Notice it is offered in as/is where/is condition with no guarantees or refunds.

Local friend has one of these where the backhoe goes on the back. To operate it you have to somewhat be a monkey to get to the backhoe seat.

20. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Question, do you want to use it or work on it?

Old guy at a tractor show asked me the same question as I was looking at an 8n that he had for sale.$4000 rebuilt.

Told him that I wanted to cut grass with it.
    He said that he had twenty old tractors and cut grass with a Kabota.
    I bit the bullet and bought a new one.