Ebay question

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Becca65, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

I bid on a Red Lobster gift certificate and won it for 45.00 it's for 50.00.. anyways that was on Nov 12th I paid for it right away, and sent the check, to me that gave him plenty of time to get it to me by now anyways. it's almost 2 wks, I've emailed him twice asking the status of it, and he hasn't emailed me back at all.. I'm getting frustrated.. but what can i do? it's not like he has to pack it in a box, just put it in a envelope.. geezzz..
    So what do i do now? wait a little longer, then cancel the check? give him a bad feedback for sure if it takes to much longer..
    any ideas? :shrug:

2. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I'd give him/her a bit more time...If you mailed a check, he may be waiting for it to clear the bank, once deposited that could take 3-4 business days. Has the check cleared? And you are working with a seller over the holidays - when people are gone. I don't mean to make excuses - but sometimes people are not around over Thanksgiving...

I sell on eBay and take personal checks. I always deposit personal checks and wait for them to clear (I wait 3 days) before sending the item.

Depending on where you are sending the check, I figure it may take up to a week for the check to get to its destination, then wait for it to clear the bank - timeline isn't unreasonable.

No matter, the seller should have at least contacted you to let you know you received the check -- that way you don't worry.

When I haven't received a reply to my emails (I've been on eBay since 1998), there is usually a good reason. I've only had to leave bad feedback once due to a non-payment (I tried to resolve for 3 months before I gave up and left a bad feedback).

Check to see if your payment has cleared. Contact the seller again - I believe if you look on the eBay site there are steps you can take if you are having problems with a transaction. If you've tried everything, then leave negative feedback and cancel the check.

3. Becca65

thanks Baronsmom, I didn't even think to see if the check cleared yet.. and your right he maybe waiting for it to clear, but i wish he would email me and let me know whats going on.. I will wait a more before i give a bad feedback, I don't like leaving bad feedback, Like i ordered a book and it was almost 2 wks i emailed the guy and he said he had a death in the family, which i totally understand that.. least he replied back to me..
    I'm going to check and see if it cleared.. thanks again

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You must also consider the fact that this may be a pre-Christmas scam.

My local television station reported on buying gift certificates online just last evening. However knowing that I wouldn't be purchasing any I didn't watch the report.

I did notice last year that there were many available which many claimed to have received as gifts but didn't want them.

Good luck in getting the certificate or satisfaction in another way.

5. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Be sure prior to leaving negative feedback that you send one more email informing them that you will, plus you can threaten to report them to Ebay as a fraudulent seller. Sounds rough, but sometimes you have to play hardball to get people to move their lazy duffs to the mailbox. I have used this method twice and only as a last resort, but once I got the stuff and once I got a full refund, so it does work to scare them after all other options are exhausted.

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

The fact that they won't answer your emails suggest that its a scam. Has the check been cleared yet? If not cancel it. THIS SELLER WILL NOT ANSWER YOUR EMAILS SO LEAVE BAD FEEDBACK NOW! That may stop someone else from being scammed.

7. Becca65

thanks everyone, I checked and the check did clear.. so i'm hoping thats the case but still he could of emailed me the status on whats going on.. that was the 2nd email..
    As for the scam i sure hope not.. this person has 174 positive feedbacks, but he was at 98.9% or something that, so i looked at the negative feedback and it had to do with paying for something he bidded on and he never paid for the item , the person said he kept giving excuses and never paid.. :shrug: hope thats not the case here.. Yikes i didn't look further down he has 2 neg feedbacks :( the other said it took him 4 wks to send the tickets.. :rolleyes: and also he's a bad communicator.. I could of told them that..

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Not only look at the feedback, but look at the history of the ID of the seller.

On occasion a seller will "sell" their spotless feedback history to an unscrupulous seller that will promptly start scamming people.

It is also surprising how many sellers will change ID (identification monikers) along the way.

You probably shouldn't worry if the check hasn't cleared as of yet.

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'd check with the eBay website and find out how long you have to wait before you can file a complaint. Then email the guy and tell him if you don't get the certificate by that time you will file a formal complaint with eBay. Read the language on the auction and find out if he requires that checks clear before shipping. If he does, find out if it has cleared. If it has then I would say you have a problem on your hands. If it has not yet cleared, you might want to wait a bit longer before getting nasty. LOL. I would check the complaint process out on eBay just so you are aware of the time-frame and know the process, just in case.

donsgal

10. Becca65

You probably shouldn't worry if the check hasn't cleared as of yet.[/QUOTE]

ahhh but it has cleared, it cleared on Nov 21st!!

11. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

A lot of ebay sellers that accept checks will wait for 10 business days for the check to clear before shipping. This has to do with receiving fraudulent checks and money orders -- they will not bounce immediately but they eventually will.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

12. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I hold checks for 10 days. Even after the new check laws came out, my bank said I should still hold them for 10 days. I do state this in my listings.

13. countryheart

countryheart Well-Known Member

I hope he's honest and just being a little slow in response to you.

Countryheart

14. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

When You Check Your Email, Do You Also Check Your Junk Mail? His Messages May Be Going There.

15. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

You paid $45.00 for a $50.00 certificate? That sounds like a lot of trouble to save $5.00. If you weren't ripped off for the whole $45.00!

16. Becca65

Yea, i got carried away with the whole bidding process! the thinking of oh i can go a little higher then that, wasn't a good thing. and I don't like sending checks, i would rather do all paypal, course i didn't look at that either that he only does checks and money orders. :rolleyes: my fault there.
    So i asked the bidder before me if she wanted it, she said no she already won a different one..
    Oh well, hopefully he is honest about this and sends it soon.. I love Red Lobster and so does my family. but i won't bid like that again. :rolleyes:

17. Becca65

Still no gift certificate :( I emailed him again.. this is the 3rd time.. I wonder why he can't just email the status? :help:

18. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Maybe he's at Red Lobster eating a $45 dollar meal?

19. Becca65

hah well I would of agreed with you on that yesterday :) but he emailed me finally and said that he was away over Thanksgiving but mailed it out the friday after.. I haven't seen it.. so i don't know whats going on, hopefully it comes soon. :shrug:

20. Becca65

Oh boy!! after waiting awhile on this Red Lobster gift card I finally get it today, I was happy to finally see it get here, open it up and guess what he sent instead??!! Olive Garden gift card. I'm sooo upset.. :flame:
    And he also included a pink bouncy ball?! whats up with that??
    Sooo i emailed him again, basically saying send me the Red Lobster card or refund my money.. geesh!!
    I had a bad feeling about this bid from the beginning.. I will follow those bad feelings from now on!!