Ebay Question about Reserves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarks_1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I absolutely HATE reserve auctions.

I'll play that silly 'reserve' game IF - and only if - it's the only item available. Otherwise, I'll just bid on a non-reserve item. I've seen too many reserve items not sell ... and a few days later, the Seller is back listing the item again - sometimes with a lower reserve, sometimes with no reserve.

2. shootingstar

shootingstar Active Member

I recently bid on an item that was listed as NO RESERVE and the bidding started at 1 cent. I bid like $10 or something close to that. (I figured the system would bid for me up to that price) Well, nobody else bid on the item and I was high bidder at 1 cent. At 2 mins before the end of the auction the seller ended the auction. They said there was a mistake in the ad. I reviewed both ads and could not see a difference so I emailed the seller. I asked why did they put NO RESERVE if they weren't going to honor it. She said that there was a mistake in the title of the ad. So I looked again. They put an extra space between the words Tea and Kettle. I contacted ebay and they said they were allowed to do this. There is always someone wanting it ruin it for the rest of us. The item did sell from that listing for $10 (plus $10 shipping)....but it wasn't my $10 :D

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The purpose of an auction is to establish a price that the public is willing to pay. When you put a reserve in place you are selling at an established price plus some increment normally. With the reserve, IMO it is a retail sale and I refuse to participate. If I want to pay established prices I will shop locally.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The reserve sets the minimum price, You can go over it and many auctions do.
    Many who sell homes via local auctions have reserves.

5. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

If they ask.. I tell them. But I do not post it in the auction listing as I have seen many do.

6. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

The reason I put a reserve on my item was that it IS the only item like it on ebay other than two others at an ebay store. It is rare, I don't know what it is worth on the retail market due to it being a "one of a kind" type thing along with it's antique value.

I set the reserve based on what I know similiar items would/should sell for if there weren't rarity or antiquity involved. I did not have my item appraised - I just know what the minimum is that I will accept for it based on it's usability. The fact that it can be used and is in great shape should help it sell.

So given that, should one just put a buy it now price on it, or set a higher minimum bid and possibly scare everyone interested away? The other two similiar items are priced for almost five times what I am willing to accept for my item based on the posted buy it now price. I did a search on previous items made by the same company and only found two that had EVER been listed on ebay, a rare occurrence in itself. Both sold for far more than my reserve price. Guess I could have just put buy it now on it at half of what those items sold for...?

Sidepasser

7. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I've sold things on Ebay. Just a couple of months ago, I posted some of my Dreamcatchers. I had a reserve. I had a couple of nibbles. Now these items cost me $10-15 to make which is what my reserve was. They never sold. I reposted without a reserve and they sold at the 99 cents. I was so disgusted.
    I've never asked what a reserve price was in any of my transactions. I've only won one reserve price auction. I didn't make the reserve, but I was the only one who bid. We worked it out and I got my item.

8. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

For shooting star; I'd report them to eBay as it appears that they we not satisfied with your winning bid. If you have the option of listing feed back on them; put it there that they cancelled at last minute and did not honor their item. I sell alot on ebay and have made a few mistakes but the buyer ended up with the better end as I want to have happy customers. I have also bid on items and won them only to be told they were out of stock...fine; I'd wait til it was in stock and they could send it to me for the 1.oo winning bid! But they didn't. They wanted to get more money out of the items.

9. TNnative

TNnative Well-Known Member

BINGO! The same thing bothers me. I can't tell you how many things I have seen on ebay that the S&H is more than the price of the item! I've seen several things on there tha I wanted, but refused to bid on, because the S&H was so ridiculous.

10. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

As a frequent buyer on e-bay I suggest folks forget that 'reserve price crap'; just place the starting bid where you are willing to accept the money and release the item. I adore hand knitted afghans, etc. and with my wife dead it is one of my few "releases" to secure female companionship and creativity --- BUT I hate those 'hidden' prices.

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

For those not aware of it, if you list with a reserve, and it is not met, eBay gives you to opportunity to offer it to the highest remaining bidder at their bid price. In this case you pay commission on that price, not the reserve price.

On the dreamcatchers, $.99 may have reflected real world value when S&H were included. They are everywhere these days, likely churned out by the thousands in China.

A way to somewhat evaluate a listing is to put on a counter. If you are getting lots of hits, but no bidding, likely the item is overpriced. If few hits, then likely either the item title isn't descriptive enough or it is just simply something no one wants. For example, at one time there were thousands of Vanna White dolls on eBay. With is more likely to get hits: Vanna White Doll or Vanna White Wedding Dress Doll NIB*. Cond.? *New in Box. Another you see is NOS - New Old Stock. Another example: Beanie Babies may not get a bid simply because the market was oversaturated and few people want them anymore at any price.

Remember apparently most people search via keywords. The more you can pack into your title, likely the more hits the listing will get.

I occasionally put on a listing at a price at which it likely won't sell simply as an advertisement tool to direct people to my eBay store. For example, I have one up now (6197316641) which may or may not sell at or above the listed price. However, it will have driven enough people to my store to likely far more than cover the $25.50 listing fee if it doesn't.

12. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

NEVER put a big ticket item on without a reserve. There are people out there that make a good living ripping off no reserver people. They assume two identities. They go down to the library or a friends etc and make a bid that is just enough to get on that item. Then they make a bid under another name that exceeds the value of the item so noone will outbid them. Then at the last minute they rescind the high bid and their low bid persona wins. I know a guy that put a used laptop on ebay with no reserve. He had five or six bids. The highest was 45 dollars. Then a guy bid 400. It was probably worth about 300. Noone else bid the last three days. So my friend wakes up to find the 400 bid was rescinded and his laptop was sold for 45 dollars. We chalked it up to bad luck until we saw a show about it on cnn. It happens alot on no reserve items.

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I believe it was in one of eBay's messages to users they are now tracking those who cancel (retract) bid more than a couple of time. If you go to a bidder's feedback it will tell you the number of bid retractions they have had within the past six months. Thus, if a higher bid than expected comes in, you see the buyer has a lot of bid retractions, you can cancel their bid and put them on your blocked bidder list.

I have probably about 18 user ids on my blocked bidder list, mostly for either no payment or being a slow payer. If I have to have eBay send them a payment reminder they go on my list and it takes an awfully good reason to get off it. I would sooner lose future sales than deal with a slow pay.

eBay is getting better about monitoring suspect activity. For example, there was a group of arrowhead knappers in TX who made a very good living putting up fake arrowheads. The others in the group would bid the price way up. If they got stuck, the transaction was simply never completed (but buyer feedback was still left) and the item relisted at a later date. Buyers would then look at past sales and feel more comfortable on their bidding.

When eBay terminates a bad buyer or seller it is not their user id which is really blocked, but rather the IPC of their computer. If they try to log back on to create a new user id, they will be rejected. Thus, at least they have to buy a new CPU.

Using the IPCs, eBay also apparently has a program which will highlight bids coming in on a item from the same PC. I was watching one item when it disappeared. I still have the seller's e-mail addy and asked what happened. He said he had one item two employees wanted to buy so he listed it on eBay and let them bid. They used the same PC (office) he did and eBay terminated him for bidding against his own item, using another user id. He said he was having to have the two employees sign notorized statements before he could get reinstated.

I haven't seen statistics lately, but eBay has something like 14M listings going at the same time. Assuming they predominately use seven day listings, that is 2M new listings and 2M closing listings a day. Plus their having to deal with likely at least 2M creative con artists at the same time.

14. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I also will pass on bidding on a reserve auction and Ebay studies have shown the majority of people will; therefore, I never use it. I just set it at the lowest price I will accept for it and do a Buy-It-Now at a higher price. I've been VERY successful with Buy-It-Now. At least half my items sell at Buy-It-Now. So many people just want something and they want it now and don't want the bidding war thing or worry about not being home when the bid ends, etc. If you price things fair -- they will sell!

Morningstar & ihedrick -- Ebay permits a seller to end an auction early at anytime and for any reason. The space between "Tea" and "Kettle" is, believe it or not, significant. I'm certain the reason the seller did that was for better coverage under the search. I have listed tea pots both as "teapot" and "tea pot". Surprisingly, it makes a differant on how many hits you get when you watch your counter.

15. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I guess that's why I love my store. My items only cost .03 to list and I leave them there until they sell. No reserve, just whatever price I want. And usually, everything eventually sells. I make money daily.

It's well worth the store fee. I only put up auctions every now and then to drive people to my store. But my store comes up on the search engines too. That way I don't have to worry about the reserve.

I have 8 items to mail tomorrow. A good week end at my store!