Ebay jewlery?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Nov 11, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone have any experience buying jewlery on ebay? I'm looking for an engagement ring and would like to get the best bang for the buck, so to speak. I'm kind of nervous about using ebay for this.

2. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I sell on ebay but not jewlery. I think you might be better off if you went to a store and saw what you were buying. You should try to deal with an establishment that has a good reputation and will take returns. I'm afraid you might get scammed and end up with a fake diamond or something.

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all, congratulations! Someone must be getting married. :)

Second, check feedback very carefully, don't buy from an individual who is not a jeweler because they could be honest about not knowing what they've got and think something is real when it isn't.

Third, check feedback. :)

Jennifer

4. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Boy, I would be very reluctant to buy anything above costume jewelry off eBay. The chances of getting ripped off would seem to be VERY high.

Bear in mind imitation diamonds (and likely other gems) have gotten so good some fool even experts. For example I have heard when imitation diamonds first hit the market it was somewhat easy to tell them as they were perfect. Intentional flaws were then builit into the process.

IMHO it would be safer to buy from a reputable local jeweler and even then you might want an independent third party appraisal.

6. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I bought my wifes engegemant ring on ebay. Spent a little over $6,000 but got a 2.34 ct. (decent quality) stone. I bought it to our family jeweler (a russian diamond importer) and he said I paid his wholsale price for it and another jewler guessed I paid 12k when I told him I got a great deal. Apprasial on its EGL certificate is $19,500 so it was a great experience! Just make sure you have a good relationship with a REAL JEWELER, not some salesperson at a typical retail store and buy it on a credit card for the protection it provides you.

Also, any reputable seller will give you a 24-48hr inspection peorid. Thats when the jeweler comes in. Bring it to him and have him check it out for you and watch out for the clarity enhanced junk.

IF I DIDNT HAVE A GREAT JEWELER AND CREDIT CARD PROTECTION I WOULD AVOID IT.

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I would not buy any nice jewelry from E Bay,,, myself. Here is an auction site that sells a lot of jewelry & is trustworthy. REMEMBER ONE THING, forget about the overall appraisal value. MOST all appraisals are done at well above resale market value. If it has an appraisal, & this site does, use it to compare the cut, color, carat, & clarity of the stone. Most people are well satisfied with a stone that is the color-H, or below,,, & clarity-S-1, or below. A fair price would be 1/3-1/2 the appraisal.[ We used to own a jewelry store]
    www.propertyroom.com

8. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

Amazon.com sells certified jewelry for decent prices. Check them out.

:) RedTartan

9. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Having just proposed to my fiance, and performing a LOT of digging for the best price and quality, one place beats all:

www.bluenile.com

Their prices are great, and you can find some really nice stones for a good priice. All of their stones are certified, and you get a grading report on the diamond you purchase. I cannot recommend these people enough.

Do some reading, and understand what makes a diamond brilliant looking, and how it is valued, and you will make a much wiser decision. Blue nile has a nice section on diamond education, and will get you running form there. Good luck on your search!

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

take her to a tattoo parlor and have a ring tattooed on her finger...

11. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

bluenile is a great place! We saved about $2,000 compared to similar stones at bluenile going through ebay and watching daily for about 2 months. But my Mother bought an awsome stone through them so I can vouch for them as a first class operation. If watching ebay on a daily basis and taking some risk isnt your cup of tea, then bluenile is great! We looked seriously at buying from bluenile and likley would have, but happened to find a better deal.

On a side note. The day I bought my stone, I had an appointment with a jewlery store to view a stone. I told him I already had a stone, but if he could work it way down, I could return my stone within 24hrs. He droped the price on his stone so low I almost went for it. He definately beat bluenile. I think it was little over 2ct D color vvs and he went to $10,000 (from 20k) I think. I dont remember exactly but bluenile was my "price guide" at the time and I remember he was cheeper. I think he figured better make a few hundred $ was better than nothing because he had to close the deal then or never. Just goes to show that a jewelery store can give a great deal if they want to.

12. MtnGranny

MtnGranny Well-Known Member

My ring was bought on Ebay. It is an antique with an old mine cut and several rose cut diamonds set in platinum. I love it and get lots of complements. Just watch the seller's rating and take it to a jeweler as soon as you get it.