Ebay-ers beware. Scam....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nans31, Mar 20, 2004.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I got an email from "ebay" saying my information needed to be updated. It all looked legit, I clicked on the link, and it brought up a page to fill in my credit card information. That alarmed me, so I went to ebay and ended up sending them the email (you send it to spoof@ebay). They emailed me saying it DID NOT come from them, and was a scam. Beware!!

2. This has happened to me in the past! If you buy and sell and use Paypal, you may also get a similar type of scam that looks like its coming from Paypal. You can't be too cautious sometimes!

Kathleen

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Yes, I recently received an e-mail from ebay saying that my gallery photographs did not load properly and I should reply to the e-mail, log into my account and re-send the photos.

I checked my items that I was selling and everything seemed to be fine, so I did not reply to the e-mail.

Be safe.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Charleen:

That's a new approach to me. Thanks. eBay would have just told you to go to your eBay account directly (not through an e-mail link). Someone apparently wanted your eBay password.

Ken S. in WC TN

5. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

I've gotten a number of these messages in the last month. Ditto, when they started asking for passwords, etc.. a red flag went up. Thanks for the ebay address to forward these scams to, I couldn't find it when I looked for it to report these scams earlier.

6. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

Charleen, I got one of those myself a few days ago after I had listed several items. The funny thing was, I had not uploaded any photos lol. It looked so legit that I nearly clicked the link without realizing. It has been a while since I have gotten an account update email. Anyone using eBay or PayPal please be cautious.