Ebay Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 22, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, I use ebay for a lot of different things.

I have never bought nursery stock/plants from there? Has anyone here? What is your experience?

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I've bought alot of seeds thru Ebay and also some nursery stock,wonderful red maples from somewhere in TN; wish I remembered where! Like to look for different lily bulbs or bulk things like poppies.....DEE

3. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I bought 2 maples, some strawberry plants, raspberry bushes and lilac bushes. All my strawberry plants were awesome, my maples are growing as are all my lilacs except one and the raspberry bushes didn't take but I am new to growing so I am sure it had to do with something on my part because they were growing fine in the beginning. I bought from pasegreenhouses and someone else but I don't remember who they were and they didn't leave me any feedback so I couldn't pull it up.

Tracy

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Not personally, but my brother bought some Canby thornless raspberry plants last year, and gave me some of them. Two are still alive, but then I don't have good luck with berry bushes here. The plants did well for him in Utah, tho. Jan in Co

5. seedspreader

Thanks Tracy and DEE

I am interested in buying apple trees from there and was just wondering if anyone was doing much through ebay.

BTW, Tracy, what kind of strawberries did you end up going with? I bought the everbearing type at my last house and was pleased with them.

6. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

That's what we got too. I really loved the berries that came off of them and so did my family! I don't think I was ever able to do anything with them because my kids would pick them and eat them and that's all there was to that!

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, it's gonna depend on who you buy them from.

8. seedspreader

So what is YOUR experience SG? Any good ones you have dealt with?

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

No, I have not bought plants in particular. Just saying that there will be good and bad, as with anything else on ebay. Check feedback.

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I didn't order so can't tell you the name of the seller, but my Dh ordered about 30 trees from a seller on Ebay. After about 6 weeks of hassling, arguing and getting a PayPal mediator involved, he finally received half of the trees and the seller said it was done. period. No more. And only about half of that half actually arrived live (albeit dormant).

We won't do it again.

I will say this, however, the ones that DID arrive live and actually grew, are very nice trees!

Again, I wish I knew the name of the seller (could find out later when Dh gets home), but we just can't take that chance again...we'll go through either local or else reputable catalog nurseries.

-Sarah

11. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I just bought some Day lily plants from a grower in Fla. off E-Bay.
    They were shipped fast and the plants look good. Now, to see if they make it through the winter...

12. diamondefarm

diamondefarm Well-Known Member

Elephant Garlic in 2003

Worked out great.

13. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i sellmy gourd seeds , and other open pollinated heirlooms off there, had good luck selling, ive purchased a few things, apple trees , and nanking cherry bushes, no problems with either, while i lived where they were, ive never been told they have died so assume all is well with them

14. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I've SOLD plants on there and got more money than I imagined. I figured that if I got $5 for 20 madonna lily plants, plus shipping, I'd be happy. I had to move them anyway. I got $30!!! Plus shipping. :) I've also sold strawberries and buckeye seedlings and did well.

I BOUGHT plants a couple times. Tiger lilies that were wonderful....don't remember where I got them (private individual). I also bought some stuff from Darrin at Plant Ranch (I think that is right) and most of it was VERY small. A couple trees didn't make it at all. I'm sure he would have made it right if I had pushed it, but after planting and waiting all summer, it isn't worth the hassle. I only paid $3.99 each and I knew, from his feedback, that they would be small trees.

Like others have said, really look at the feedback.

15. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

AWESOME! I never thought of buying plants on ebay!