Eating wood

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JA in WA, Sep 1, 2005.

1. JA in WA

JA in WA Member

My 4 goats are eating my barn! They chew on the doors and even on the panel fencing. Am I not getting them enough salt or other nutrient or is this a distant rodent behavior thing. Is this normal? I'm new to goats.

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Mine get plenty to eat plus have mineral blocks,etc, and they still chew the wood on one of my sheds. Think they like the taste. :shrug: Think I will try to put tin on it next year.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Goats just like wood. Left to their own devices they'd rather eat bushes and trees (especially blueberry bushes and apple trees) than grassy pasture or alfalfa pellets. Mine do get some brush to chew on during the day, and they still like to nibble on the barn sometimes.

You can try using Bitter Apple (the stuff that's sold to keep dogs from chewing on things) to discourage them if it's a real problem.

4. JA in WA

JA in WA Member

Thanks for the ideas. I thought it was just a goat kind of thing.

5. HHR

HHR Active Member

I put hay in front of mine 24-7, even though they have pasture, and they hardly ever chew on the barn now. I think they are just lazy and didn't want to walk around and eat sometimes. Gotta love 'em!