Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what breed of rabbit people are using for eating--are they good for frying and slow cooking--let us know what breed you have and how you are preparing them--thanks

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I think most folks breeding just for meat will have NZ, Cal or another meat breed. I raise dual purpose buns...French angoras. Those that don't make the fiber rabbit cut go to freezer camp.

Although I cook them just about anyway I'd cook chicken, we have two favorites. One is the hind legs wrapped in maple bacon and tossed on the grill. The other is a whole roaster stuffed and baked like a chicken or turkey. Oh, they also make good rabbit salad.

Now I'm hungry... :rolleyes:

Meg

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I raise California mix breeds. I too cook them as I would chicken, fried, baked, BBQ soup ect. The favorite around here is curry rabbit.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
When we raised rabbits almost 20 years ago, we started with Californians and Harlequins, moving to Mini Rex within a year or two. We ate most of our Mini Rex culls; it's amazin how meaty they were!

Now that we plan on breeding rabbits primarily for meat, we've decided on Standard Rex and American Blues; the Rex because they are a "modern" meat breed and we like the fur, and the American Blues because they are a heritage breed.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I raise NZW x Cals (NZW does and Cal buck) because they were relatively easy to find and "everyone" said they were a good meat mix, and I am new to all this.

My favorite way to eat rabbit is the hosenpfeffer recipe in the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Mine are mutts, but most likey have some New Zealand somewhere in their background. And yes, I use it just about any way I would use chicken.

There is one thing to keep in mind when adapting chicken recipes. Rabbit is a very fine textured, but dense white meat. It has more protein than chicken, but less fat and moisture. So although it can be used in most chicken recipes, it is often a good idea to use a lower, more gentle heat and to use something to add moisture or a bit of fat. That's why wrapping it in bacon works so well.

Apple juice makes a good liquid for cooking rabbit. And don't overlook rabbit soup. We use the rib sections for soup and it is wonderful. (Recipe in the sticky at top of page.)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
we have florida whites and cali mutts... our fav is smoked rabbit
marinate them overnight or a few hours smoke for about 3 hours give or take alittle ..
its awsome.. it does take practice...hubby usually handels the actuall smoking as i can't seem to pick up on it..but even not right rabbit is good

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,I agree with maggiej posted above.As rabbits can be be cooked any why you can do chicken,more moisture or lower heat is needed as it has less fat then any other meat that i know of ,and i have been rasing rabbits for over 25 years or so.As to breed? cal,s and nzw are best as to,age,growth,wieght, to amount of feed to get to slaughter weight.Some will think different and thats fine.Just my thoughts.Cliff...

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
Shucks, I like to just toss some hindquarters in a baking dish, sprinkle a bit of Lawry's seasoning salt over the whole works and let 'er bake on low heat for a few hours.

Seriously. With a little water in the bottom of the pan, it's simply delicious. :)

We raise Californians and Creme d'Argents, by the way - both are 8-10 meat breeds. Pics here: www.geocities.com/cremerabbits/cals.html and www.geocities.com/cremerabbits/cremes.html

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Ours are pretty mixed but the guy I bought them from had a Flemish Giant buck in for a few months before he sold them to me so some of them are pretty good size.

We like just baking them as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts