Eating Rabbit: A crime?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryGoalie, Jan 24, 2005.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Crossposted from a list I'm on.

> Student skins, cooks Guinea pig in class
    >
    > Associated Press
    > Jan. 21, 2005 07:15 AM
    > THOMPSON, Ohio - A high school principal promises he's going to give
    > the living skills curriculum an extreme makeover after a student
    > skinned and cooked a Guinea pig and a rabbit during class.
    >
    > The student, a 16-year-old boy, told the principal, Beto Gage, that he
    > killed the animals at home before bringing them to Ledgemont High
    > School. Gage said living skills teacher Diana Stevens lets students
    > prepare a meal of their choice on Wednesdays.
    >
    > Students who didn't want to watch were allowed to go into another
    > room, Gage said.
    >
    > The student had asked Stevens if he could catch and cook a wild rabbit
    > and she approved, provided he gut the carcass before class, Gage said.
    > He said the student, whose name was not released, is an active hunter.
    >
    > The animals, however, apparently were purchased at a pet store.
    >
    > Geauga Humane Society officials and the police said they received
    > complaints from students and parents, and they are investigating the
    > incident.
    >
    > "Something irrational and wrong happened," said Geauga Humane Officer
    > Sarah Westman.
    >
    > Thompson is about 35 miles northeast of Cleveland.

http://www.wpbfnews.com/education/4116220/detail.html
    Also has a story on it and a poll, when I voted it was 61% said yes the
    student should be prosecuted, please vote no, polls seem stupid but they
    do sway public opinion. It is important we make a strong stand that
    eating rabbit is not animal cruelty. And who cares if it came from a pet
    store, pet stores also sell feeder animals so what's the difference!

The Humane society's e-mail is geaugaho@alltel.net I recommend people
    write to them and tell them eating rabbit is not a crime.

High school principal Beto Gage le_gage@lgca.org Tell him please don't
    change the curriculum because eating rabbit is not a crime and should
    not be treated as something wrong

Geauga County Board of Commissioners write to these people and tell
    them the humane society should have all powers to conduct cruelty
    investigations lifted if they are going to charge people with a crime if
    they eat rabbits E-mail: commissioners@geaugabocc.org
    <mailto:commissioners@geaugabocc.org>

Even if you don't live near this place please write. Because if one area
    adopts this attitude it will spread.

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

This is so stupid. People buy GP's and "bunnys" at the Pet Store all the time to feed to their PET snakes who either kill it themselves, or the owner kills it first and then feeds. Nobody whines about that.

Animal 'rights' people are so annoying. I ate rex rabbits throughout my childhood. I'd play with the babies and then whammo, a few weeks later they were on my plate and I assure you, neither I nor the rabbit were traumatized.

Now granted I think the kid should have done what he said he was going to do(hunt and kill a wild rabbit)but at the same time, some other people need to get over themselves.

And writing to the 'humane society' to tell them eating rabbit isn't a crime isn't going to do a John Brown bit of good. Sometimes I think they'd rather see little bunny foo foo procreate his brains out 'roaming free' in the world than feed famine ridden nations who could really benefit from those bloody rabbits.

I tell ya, some people would complain if you hung em with a brand new rope. Sorry for my rant.

3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Just e-mailed all. the vote is 58% prosecute 42% he's ok
    Chas

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

We own a cattle ranch, we hunt deer, squirrel, wild hog and we raise our own rabbits and butcher them along with our chickens and goats. I am all for the home butcherer. However, I do not feel that purchasing rabbits or guinea pigs from a pet store and taking them to school to clean and/or cook was totally appropriate. I have to wonder what the boy's real intentions were since it obviously was not to prove he was promoting self sufficiency by killing and cooking wild game.

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

====

I think that the guinea pig was not appropriate to use IMO I know its eaten in some cultures but its not a generally accepted food animal here ,, but ,, if its not rabbit season where ever this school is ,, the boy couldn't go out and shoot a rabbit ,, I see nothing wrong with him buying a rabbit from the pet store if he couldn't find a priviate source ,, disposeing of it in a proper manner and cleaning and cooking it ,,

the pet store sells the rabbits for pets or feeders anyhow .. would there have been this big a fuss if he had bought the rabbit from a meat rabbit breeder ??

6. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

! rabbit is a rabbit is a rabbit.....Be it wild,grown at home for food,or purchased from pet supply to feed a snake or self...I see absolutly NOTHING wrong here.
    Would it be different if he had bought it off a local producer? As to the Giunea pig........To each his own..Perhaps poor taste at school.However,Darn sure if it was an etnic thing it would have been deemed OK...Personally I've never tried them lil things,tho I've been known to eat muskrats etc....L.H.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems to me that if the young man had completely prepped his chosen main course at home, there wouldn't be such a big brouhaha. Parts is parts: I doubt that anyone in the class would have recognized the meat if it had been rabbit, guinea pig, or squirrel!

I do believe he was trying to make a statement (what 16 year old isn't?), but he didn't figure on the animaniacs going all goofy and litigious about the situation.

I'm all for eating rabbit. As soon as DH gets those old flattie Jeep bits out from behind the garage, I want to install bunny bins/rabbit hutches/home for my meat out there. I don't think it will be easy to slaughter the rabbits, but that's not necessarily bad, as I believe I should have appreciation for the life that gives me life.

But the people who act like animal life is more valuable than human life have to get a life. I truly do believe some of them would rather see a child starve than see an animal humanely slaughtered and cooked. And they say meat-eaters are barbarians?

8. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I sent this on to other homesteading friends of mine and asked them to send it on to others. Everybody, please do the same. Things like this threaten a way of life in the long run. Ya'll realize that it hasn't been all that long ago that if you didn't raise and slaughter your own meat, you didn't have any? Why did people get so smeamish???? The boy definatly had poor judgement but isn't a criminal. :no:

9. Derek

Derek Member

Fact of life eat or die. I mean if you don't eat you don't live,right?

10. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Boy Who Cooked Animals At School Will Not Be Charged
    Teen Cooked Guinea Pig, Rabbit During Class

UPDATED: 2:39 PM EST January 28, 2005

THOMPSON, Ohio -- Police and humane society officials have decided not to file charges against a 16-year-old student who skinned and cooked a Guinea pig and a rabbit during a living skills class.

They say it would have been hard to prove the killings were unnecessary because students did eat some of the meat, and investigators didn't find evidence the animals suffered needlessly.

Authorities said the student killed the rabbit with a bow-and-arrow and used a knife to kill the Guinea pig at home before cooking them in class at Ledgemont High School in Thompson, Ohio, on Jan. 19.

The living skills teacher lets students prepare meals once a quarter. She thought the student was going to catch and cook a wild rabbit. Actually, the boy bought the animals at a pet store.

11. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that he really shouldn't have done that. I'm not against eating rabbits, but people (us for instance) have them as pets. We have 9 rabbits. My parents have spent thousands on them, in fact, we just had to take our holland lop to the emergencey vet clinic, the total came to $950. We have them and love them as much (some of them more) then the dog and cat. They're housepets. If someone at my school skinned a domestic rabbit in front of me, I'd be mighty ****ed off, so would my parents. I don't need to see that. I know it happens, and I'm not at all against it. I just don't think he should have publically displayed it. Especially a rabbit that could very well have resembled someone's pet. What would the difference be if someone skinned a dog or cat? It's just because they aren't recognized as a food source in the country. Well, for some, neither are bunnies.

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

950.00 on a rabbit?????????????????????????????????? Crap I am lucky to sell one for 10.00 To each his own , but we raise rabbits to eat very few stay as pets.

13. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

How on earth can someone who would spend $950 on a vet bill for a rabbit accuse another of bad judgement for killing and eating a pet-store rabbit?

This is a free country, and we can spend our money any way we wish, but $950 on a rabbit pushes credulity.

According to the article the boy killed the animals and gutted them before bringing them to school, cutting them up and cooking them. Just exactly what part of that got everyone's panties in a wad?

Would they have been just as upset if he had brought a gutted chicken to school to show them how it had to be plucked/skinned and cut up before cooking? When I was a boy in high school one of our classmates mamas gave us six hens. We took them to school, the girls killed, cleaned and cooked them, made chicken salad sandwiches for a moonlight picnic for the whole class.

We have made making a living look too easy; the idiots are growing in numbers.
    Ox

14. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha: (Sorry... couldn't resist! Well said!)

15. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Each to his own. We love our rabbits. As my dad put it... many, many people spend thousands on paintings. We spend thousands on rabbits. They're cute, friendly, housetrained and hell, a whole lot more entertaining then a piece of artwork.

Oh, and don't worry. We spayed them all for $608 so they'd live longer. 10 years, that is

16. inc

inc Well-Known Member

xandras- if i had that money to spend i woudl be making some appointmetns right now to get a few things fixed.whew.

did anyone miss the 'living skills teacher"- here is a person who should have known better than to let this happen. of course the animalrights type people are going to blow this out of proportion, they tailor their ads to directly appeal to this age group and below!
    fact is theres a lot of sensitive peoople out there that cant handle wher meat comes from- neither the rabbit nor especially the guinea pig should have been allowed in the class, any meat shouldnt be broght in for quality control reasons alone. perishable food like that shouldbe handled by professionals.

17. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Honey, you wouldn't have had to watch, because if you'd read the article you'd have noticed they allowed students to leave the room....

My parents had a friend who skinned his rabbits alive. He was a disgusting man, made the kids help. I remember going to their house and they were busy skinning, and those poor bunnies were screaming. I'll never forget it. Those are experiences people can do without...can't eat rabbit, personally, just because of that. Don't begrudge people who do...just can't do it myself. I'll never know what my parents saw in him...he's dead and gone today and Lord help me but I'm thankful for it.

18. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

when i was 10 dad killed and cut off the heads of 2 rabbits gave me a knife and i skined and gutted by watching him do his.If there were students who wish to learn they should be allowed to.Rabbits are a fantastic high protien MEAT that just might help these kids and their future familys dietary needs. Thanks Dad

19. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Not really sure why the hate is coming through so strong here, but I'm behind you, Xandra. I have no idea why people think it's a great idea to cut someone down for the terrible sin of being a loving person willing to spend money on creatures one loves. If you didn't earn the money, then guess what? It's not yours to spend, and calling someone an idiot for having different values than yours is just lame. From what I can determine, no children were starved to death for the benefit of this sick rabbit.

There's no type of animal discussed on this board, from chickens to cows, that hasn't become the beloved pet of someone. No one on this board (I don't think) is saying that eating rabbit meat is wrong. So what are we all so defensive about? I think it's really strange that in the poultry forum, it's considered perfectly natural to have posts alternating between, "Oh no, my poor silkie hen is ill," and "hey, how do you butcher a really big turkey?" No emotional outbursts, no contempt and name-calling back and forth. Why is it so different here?

20. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

==========

I don't like to think its 'hate' .. Lord love you and your parents Xandra if you can afford medical care for your pets to that amount ,, I keep my pets shots up to date and thanks to the humane soc I have all my critters spayed ,, but we just cannot afford high dollar vet bills ,,,

$700+ to us 'normal' people does seems high :haha: When you consider that 'most' of us are 1 month away from the street ,, for most americans if they lost a months income it would take prayer and 6 months to recover from the loss ,, and $1000 is a months bring home pay for a lot of folks ,,

I raise Cals & NZs for their meat but I try not to become too attached to the breeders ,, 1 ESpot doe however is a great producer, as well as a pet, she has a home w loving care till she passes ,,, spending money on an animal is a personel and heartfelt thing ,, I love and care for all my pets to the best of my ability ,,

but when it comes down to it I love both my dogs & cat ,,, but if say god forbid ,, a car hit one and it was hurt badly (Or a chicken or rabbit injury) and I rushed it to the vet ,,, I KNOW right now before anything ever happens I cannot afford a large vet bill ,, :waa:

last time I took in a wounded puppy (ours) (a stray dog bit it ,, once on the head,, punchered its ear) ,, they stabilized it ,, came out told me, with treatment it 'might recover' the treatment would be $500 or more,, but it will never be 'right' .. would probably be best to put it down ,,,, :no: $10 for putting it down $189 for all they did to stabilize it !!! If I had realized it would be that amount ,, I would have told them when I brought it in to put it down imediately ,, :eek:

That may sound coldhearted but 'I' cannot justify my family hurting financially to pay for a vet bill ,, I guess it would depend on the injury and if the vet would be willing for me to pay installments ,, Yes I've paid for broken legs ,, (and the $400+ I spent on an emergency spay comes to mind) but as I said the amount and severity of the injury would be the deciding factor ,,

with rabbits and chickens ,, my hub thought I was nuts to pay $35 for a breeder rabbit ,, I could just hear him if I sugested taking an injured one to the vet instead of just humanely disposeing of it ... (an HUB hates to butcher)

:haha:

I think everyone should realize where meat actually does come from ,, all 'meat' animals are 'domestic' in one form or another ,, If you Name it ,, it does not move into the 'meat' catagory easily .. I tell my family Do Not pet the groceries ,, the fuzzy bunnies are not pets ,, don't tell me I'm cruel for eating the bunnies while your hogging down my rabbit pie :haha:

Tucker
    NC