Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT'S DESTROYING MY TOMATOES??????

I wish I could post a pic but I can't at this time. Some are eatenfrom one side to the other ... about 2/3 of it ... leaving a concave shell. Some only have a sliver taken out as if someone cut a narrow slice out of it with a knife ... about 1/2" or a little better wide. Always up and down slice.

In 9 years here I haven't lost a tomatoe yet (that I've known of) ... until now. Something is eating only the ripe ones. I haven't seen any crows. The only time I have ever seen a rat was a dead one last year that died from poison I had out for the mice in the shed. I used to have pigs but haven't for a year and a half or better.

We are down to one free range chicken ... possible? We have had a few oppossum around recently. I put out traps for the **** and caught 3 oppossum earlier this year.

What's your take?

·
Registered
183 Posts
We are suffering the same thing! I'm getting quite mad - I bend down to pick a nice, beautiful red tomato - and find the bottom 1/3 gone! I'd be surprised if it's *****, as they've been eating the sweet corn, and aren't done yet. I'm guessing gophers or other ground-dwelling critters. We don't have any chickens.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
If the eaten ones are close to the ground, I will vote for turtle. Birds will also do this and usually close to the ground. If it's, higher on the vine,,?? maybe grasshoppers??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cowgirl ... good to talk to you again ... how's the shrimp?

I'm not near water ... box turtle? I don't think so though.

This is NOT bugs ... they're making fast work of these 'maters.

I'm nearly certain it's not groundhogs either. Some of the plants are close to the house and we'd see them if it were in the day ... they are never close to the house.

And yes ... they're fairly close to the ground.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
box turtle or land terrapin will eat tomatoes,,usually make a wedge shaped bite if they only take one bite, tend to eat more than one bite tho. Birds will peck ragged holes.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Mike in Pa said:
cowgirl ... good to talk to you again ... how's the shrimp?

I'm not near water ... box turtle? I don't think so though.

This is NOT bugs ... they're making fast work of these 'maters.

I'm nearly certain it's not groundhogs either. Some of the plants are close to the house and we'd see them if it were in the day ... they are never close to the house.

And yes ... they're fairly close to the ground.
Good to talk to you too Mike. :) The shrimp are thriving, I should start harvesting them the end of September.
Hope you catch what ever is eating those tomatoes. I've had problems with rabbits in the past, do you think you could have some of those in your garden?

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
A friend who has way to many pesky chipmunks use's the type of material that a bridal vail is made of . . . wraping the bush. At this moment I can't remember what the proper name is for this material . . . . .some of you gals should know.
She gets it at one of those big name fabric stores.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have a darn good crop of maters this year.

Last chip I saw here had an argument with my 22 .. . . . .it lost . . . . . .

G

·
Possums will eat tomatoes. Some of my brandywines are splitting and rottening on the bottom. Good luck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Jim-mi said:
A friend who has way to many pesky chipmunks use's the type of material that a bridal vail is made of . . . wraping the bush. At this moment I can't remember what the proper name is for this material . . . . .some of you gals should know.
She gets it at one of those big name fabric stores.
That would be tulle ...pronounced tool. Now here's a use I never thought of ;0)

Sorry can't help with the tomatoes, hope you figure it out. It's so maddening to get this far into a season and lose crops.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Look under the plant on the ground. If you see small pellet clumps, usually about 1/4", green when fresh then turning to dark brown--like mouse turds but rounder--it's probably a hornworm. They're almost impossible to see because they're EXACTLY the color of the foliage, but if you rustle the plant and then listen, they make a clicking sound and you can find them. They're hayooge!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd say probably box turtle also, maybe a woods turtle, or both. Back on the farm we had the same problem with eaten tomatoes that were on the ground or close to it; drove my mom crazy cause she couldn't catch the culprit in the act. My job was to keep an eye on the tomatoe patch, finally caught the culprit red handed ( or red beaked), it was a box turtle!

·
Registered
845 Posts
the lone ranger chicken could be eaten them if it is it should look like a chicken pecked it lol. around this part of the world we have lil turtles we call tarpins they will eat them sounds like you got you one loose in your garden. but be real careful because after they eat so many tomatoes, they will grow really big real fast and when you reach in to get a good looking tomato it will take a finger or hand off at one bite. j/k lol but does sound like thats what it is. if you catch him just take him down the road a ways and let him go.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah we have rabbits but they have never hurt the maters. The worms eat the foilage don't they? Anyway ... trust me ... ain't no worm doing this. Also, it's in two different gardens ... we'd have to be infested with them.

I set traps last night and nothing. Will try again tonight.

It ain't a turtle ... positive. Unless he has a lot of friends and a step stool or a dang long neck!

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Don't know where you live. Around here the squirels are eating more tomatoes than anything else. the Red squriels take the tomatoes off the fine but the Grey squirels leave them on the vine and just take a nip out of the ones that are their. They also will take a ripe tomato and just take a nip out of it. It may be a box turle or a taripin. The turle will eat more than half.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Chickens LOVE ripe tomatos.

Another possibility - Squirrels. My parents were losing all their ripe tomatos, till they finally saw a squirrel in the act. My dad trapped and removed it, another one started doing same thing. He had a running battle with them, all summer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.