Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever butchered and ate a pot bellied pig? My daughter has one that was suppose to be bred and isnt. She has decided that if we want to have it butchered, she is ok with it. I was thinking all sausage.....any ideas?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Potbellied Pigs were developed to be a kitchen pig in Asia, a source of meat for the family as well as a garbage disposal for organics. In apartments they were kept in the kitchen in a little pen. In fancier houses in the court yard. They are meat. Pork to be specific. A lard pig to be even more specific. Lots of people raise them for meat, probably far more than who keep them as pets.

See this web site:
http://www.windridgefarm.us/potbellypigs.htm

-Walter

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was trying to find out info on them awhile back. Came across one site where people were horrified that anyone would eat one. One person claimed that you couldn't eat them cuz they'd give you cancer.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Had a friend that used to have his butchered. Said the best bacon he ever tasted was from pot bellies..

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Has anyone ever butchered and ate a pot bellied pig? My daughter has one that was suppose to be bred and isnt. She has decided that if we want to have it butchered, she is ok with it. I was thinking all sausage.....any ideas?
Friend up the valley had one. 300 lbs. Not much lean meat but a lot of lard. The meat was ok.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The ones we have butchered and eaten all had good tasting darker than average meat. They also gave us plenty of fat to add in with our deer burgers and sausage or to render into lard. I've also crossbred my American Guinea Hog with pot bellies and I've noticed the meat isn't quite as dark from the offspring.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Are AGH really a different breed than Pot Bellied? I ask because I just saw someone recently write somewhere else that AGH and PB are the same thing. I don't have either so no direct experience. They said they use the term AGH to stay off the radar from the PETA and PET-a-Pig nuts.

D

·
0 Posts
Are AGH really a different breed than Pot Bellied? I ask because I just saw someone recently write somewhere else that AGH and PB are the same thing. I don't have either so no direct experience. They said they use the term AGH to stay off the radar from the PETA and PET-a-Pig nuts.
Yes, completely different. Different sources of origin as well as characteristics and meat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just got a couple of sow's they are both bred one due in the next month or so and one not due for 3 months we got them to sell and to butcher a few of them , but I did not go for the little ones I looked for the larger ones my one sow prob weights around 125-150 and the other is around 100 or so we got them as they are easier for me to handle and move around and cheaper to feed and we are going to try to butcher them ourselves I have raise large pig's and pot bellies in the past but I have never ate the smaller of the two we shall see if we like it or not

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I don't know how much this relates to the pot bellies but I find that with our pigs the larger ones are better at grazing. Bigger jaws, bigger teeth, bigger digestive tracts so they get more from the pastures and from hay without the need to feed any grain supplement to grow and keep condition. This makes it less expensive to feed them since the thing we have an abundance of is pasture.

I too had the concern when we started with pigs about them getting really big and handling big animals but they grow slowly on you so you have time to get used to them and they are tamed to us. Most of the breeders are only 300 to 600 lbs although some of the really big boars have gotten up to well over 1,000 lbs. Since pigs are so dense they don't seem that large.

-Walter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts